• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Mercedes 7G tronic gear change jerk

Hi

Is there any car owner driving  7G tronic experience a car jerk during gear change? e.g. 5th to 6th, 5th to 4th

The jerk is quite prominent and the gear change is not smooth.

Is the possible remedy a transmission software update?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your profile doesn't say which model you are driving right now.

If it is an older car with 7G-tronic, best bet is to change the ATF and see how it goes.

Ask if there are a lot of metal filings when the oil is changed.

If so, your mechanic will tell you what to expect next.

If it a new car, with less than 50-60k mileage, a software update could be one solution.

Could be the electro hydraulic control unit going to kaput leow

Mechanic told me normally the gearbox dun die so easily

Most of the time is that piece of device, seems like common problem for 7G tronics

If under warranty quickly go and get it done as it will cost at least a few Ks

Also first check if your ATF is enough as this can also cause the problem.

what is the sympton of electro hydraulic control unit going to kaput?

Could be the electro hydraulic control unit going to kaput leow

Mechanic told me normally the gearbox dun die so easily

Most of the time is that piece of device, seems like common problem for 7G tronics

If under warranty quickly go and get it done as it will cost at least a few Ks

Also first check if your ATF is enough as this can also cause the problem.

what is the sympton of electro hydraulic control unit going to kaput?

Hi Giggss

For my case, first I notice a jerk when I change gear, it was a mild one, which I though was normal (big mistake as it was still under warranty) should have go and get it checked,

Then the jerk get more forceful and finally it just kaput, I notice it when the rev was very high, I stop the engine and try again, it only got 1st gear and reverse gear and when I change gear from say N to D, it is a big jerk and loud noise, also the C/S selection not working anymore.

When send in to check, they found that the electro hydraulic control unit kaput, after changing it + ATF change, everything is back to normal, no more jerking and infact very smooth

Mechanic told me very common for 7G tronics and not as expensive to change as if the whole gearbox kaput

cheers

ah yeo

ooo thanks for the info!

so the jerk is felt during your gear change from N to D or R?

Now I sometimes feel jerk or pull feeling when the auto transmission goes from 2nd to 3rd gear on cold start (not every time though).. dont know could it be due to piggyback or sprint booster..?

Hi Giggss

For my case, first I notice a jerk when I change gear, it was a mild one, which I though was normal (big mistake as it was still under warranty) should have go and get it checked,

Then the jerk get more forceful and finally it just kaput, I notice it when the rev was very high, I stop the engine and try again, it only got 1st gear and reverse gear and when I change gear from say N to D, it is a big jerk and loud noise, also the C/S selection not working anymore.

When send in to check, they found that the electro hydraulic control unit kaput, after changing it + ATF change, everything is back to normal, no more jerking and infact very smooth

Mechanic told me very common for 7G tronics and not as expensive to change as if the whole gearbox kaput

cheers

ah yeo

ooo thanks for the info!

so the jerk is felt during your gear change from N to D or R?

Now I sometimes feel jerk or pull feeling when the auto transmission goes from 2nd to 3rd gear on cold start (not every time though).. dont know could it be due to piggyback or sprint booster..?

when changing from N to D or R

Final part was it (jump) instead of jerking with a loud noise

Mine is W205. The jerk only happen in the morning when I didn't wait for the RPM to drop below 1000. Usually when you start the car in the morning the RPM is around 1,300 and takes around 1-2mins to drop to 1000. If I try to shift to D mode. I do get the jerk but if I wait for a minute or two. No more jerk.

Mine is W205. The jerk only happen in the morning when I didn't wait for the RPM to drop below 1000. Usually when you start the car in the morning the RPM is around 1,300 and takes around 1-2mins to drop to 1000. If I try to shift to D mode. I do get the jerk but if I wait for a minute or two. No more jerk.

I get that jerk too in the morning. So this is a normal issue for W205? What I do is when I change from P to D, I depress the brake quite hard, remove the electronic park brake then slowly and gently shift the gear then there is no jerk.  I don't wait for a minute but probably after the car finishes revving at the start. Works most of the time this method.

i'm on the W205 and the most obvious jerk is from D2 to D3 when I try to accelerate too hard on comfort model but i think it is normal cos comfort model not meant to sprint. rest of upshift and downshift super smooth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Giggss

cheers

ah yeo

Hi

which workshop ?

mine C is jerky but S is at time. think times up for a $$$

Please advise which workshop ..

Hi Giggss

cheers

ah yeo

so wats the damage$$??

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

I am driving Merc E class 2015. I am also experiencing at lower gear shift, a heavy jerk in the changing of gear.  Why is this so… how could Mercedes’ have such a poor transmission of gear change as part of the design? Could anyone advice what’s wrong ? I have changed the ATF already .  Reading the thread of replies , can anyone advise what is the cost to change the electro hydraulic control ? This is the 3rd E class I drove . Previous 2 units I faced gear box problems which I have to pay money to overhaul the gear boxes 😅