• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Upgrading of C180 Coupe 2012 Brakes

Hi, Im currently driving a 2012 C180 Coupe. 

I need to have better/more braking power.

I have heard that installing BBKs would be the fastest way to do that, but the replacement costs of the brake discs/pads will be quite intimidating? 

I was considering to use bigger calipers/discs from perhaps the E-series instead of using BBK? 

AKA, transplant the entire braking system from E-series vehicles to my C180? 

Would the brake pump/brake lines need to be changed? Or it just a plug and play thing at the calipers/rotors? 

Would there be any issues/problems with this alternative? 

I appreciate any advice and perhaps contacts for workshops for the BBK if I do deviate towards that in the end? 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No issue at all and is plug & play. Yes is the same platform as W212 pre fl model.

for a start you might wanna try change to better brake pads and steel braided brake hoses. that will improve your braking and wouldnt cost you a bomb. if that isnt enough then maybe you might wanna consider big brake kits. my humble opinions.

Does TS drive so aggressively in sgp that needs BBK on roads in sgp ? Or chiong NSHW a lot.

Else seriously just consider SSBH/ceramic pads as jayson suggested

Unless its for asthetics ... then go for it. Else liao lui and may end up need change rims aso ... hahaha

Stock brakes are good enough for normal driving.... But if you r a chiongster... And NSHW is your best friend... I do suggest getting a set of BBK... End of the day... the car will stop when you pedal on the brake.... whether will it stop as fast as you expect it to... is another issue... Hope this answers your question...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Upgrading to any bigger brakes that fits will definitely improves stopping power for your ride. Then again, you may want to consider the kind of budget, its look, brand and long term maintenance cost. Aftermarket Stainless Steel Brake Host is a must if you are going for BBK to compliment each other. It will be good to have SSBH even on stock brakes too. Stock brake pump should suffice for most aftermarket brakes.

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

Thought SSBH is standard if you change to BBK?

Upgrading to any bigger brakes that fits will definitely improves stopping power for your ride. Then again, you may want to consider the kind of budget, its look, brand and long term maintenance cost. Aftermarket Stainless Steel Brake Host is a must if you are going for BBK to compliment each other. It will be good to have SSBH even on stock brakes too. Stock brake pump should suffice for most aftermarket brakes.

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

No issue at all and is plug & play. Yes is the same platform as W212 pre fl model.

blackmerc

Thanks.. :) 

Will go check out stockists for the relevant prices/partlist. 

for a start you might wanna try change to better brake pads and steel braided brake hoses. that will improve your braking and wouldnt cost you a bomb. if that isnt enough then maybe you might wanna consider big brake kits. my humble opinions.

Im already on better brake pads and SSBH. 

Im considering BBKs, but I've heard feedback about their costly maintenance, aka brake pad and rotor replacement costs. 

So im hunting for a compromise whereby I get improved braking, but without the costs of BBK. 

I also understand that using E-class brakes may not be the same level of braking as BBKs

However, if it's a cost-efficient upgrade, its still something worth considering. 

Does TS drive so aggressively in sgp that needs BBK on roads in sgp ? Or chiong NSHW a lot.

Else seriously just consider SSBH/ceramic pads as jayson suggested

Unless its for asthetics ... then go for it. Else liao lui and may end up need change rims aso ... hahaha

Hi. 

I don't drive that aggressively. 

However, i had the recent misfortune of rear-ending a taxi because he jammed brakes on me for no apparent reason. 

So hence the thought of improving the car's braking system. 

Aesthetics is not important to me. 

If it was important, I would have just directly gone for the largest BBKs I can find. :D

Sorry to be a wet blanket but seriously, what is the point?

Unless you tell me the stock brakes are seriously under-performing on the stock car.

No worries about the potential wet blanket. 

I just feel that the stock brakes CAN be better. 

Stock brakes are good enough for normal driving.... But if you r a chiongster... And NSHW is your best friend... I do suggest getting a set of BBK... End of the day... the car will stop when you pedal on the brake.... whether will it stop as fast as you expect it to... is another issue... Hope this answers your question...

I know. 

I'm just trying to find a more cost-effective option. :) 

Thought SSBH is standard if you change to BBK?

Stock brake host can still be used but not recommended. If one decided to go for BBK, why save on not upgrading to SSBH?

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

Keeping safe breaking distance is FOC

If the guy behind u try come close, help him w a free windscreen wash

At the end we just dun wan rear end someone .. but if suay suay ganna rear ended then boh bian lor, if the guy GL then go see doctor and get a lawyer claim him gao gao ...

• 2 months later...

Hi. Before I take the plunge to upgrade my brakes, 

Can anyone confirm if Mercedes E Class brakes have better stopping power if transplanted onto a C Coupe platform? 

Or are they the same brakes? 

Aka Same disc size and thickness, same caliber, same piston size? 

I already have drilled discs, better brake pads, and SSBH installed, but I still feel that the braking power is insufficient. 

Keeping safe breaking distance is FOC

If the guy behind u try come close, help him w a free windscreen wash

At the end we just dun wan rear end someone .. but if suay suay ganna rear ended then boh bian lor, if the guy GL then go see doctor and get a lawyer claim him gao gao ...

Hi Denwee. 

I did keep a safe braking distance. 

The taxi driver cut into my 'safety zone' and jammed brakes on me. 

My insurer has started the claim process, and TP has issued a warning to the taxi driver for 'careless driving' after I had sent in my video to prove my case. 

Now waiting for the amazingly slow process of settling the insurance claims. 

And yes, the taxi driver was very KL. 

A slight off-topic point

Is there any difference if I were to just upgrade the front brakes to those BBK and leave the rear brakes untouched, save for better brake pads? 

Take note that SSBH is already installed. 

Also, heatsoak on the brakes is getting a little bit too pronounced for my liking. 

Is it normal for a set of brakes that's about 9months old? 

seriously, if the fella had deliberately cut into your lane to jam brake in front of you, it wouldnt have made any difference even if you were on 6 pot AMG brakes.

Save the money and trouble and drive more safely instead.

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!