• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

First 1000km Review

zeenie

The engine is actually "factory run-in" whatever that means. However, in order to make sure everything (engine, brakes, transmission etc) works well together, better just take it easy for the first 1000km (hence this discussion) and vary the revs, i.e. avoid holding a particular rev for too long (avoid long expressway routes).

When running in was still popularly done, some advocated a hard run-in which sounds like pushing the engine too much too early although they swear by it. Personal preference really.

• Like 1

stock polar silver CLA180 =)

The engine is actually "factory run-in" whatever that means. However, in order to make sure everything (engine, brakes, transmission etc) works well together, better just take it easy for the first 1000km (hence this discussion) and vary the revs, i.e. avoid holding a particular rev for too long (avoid long expressway routes).

When running in was still popularly done, some advocated a hard run-in which sounds like pushing the engine too much too early although they swear by it. Personal preference really.

For new car first oil change should be 15k or 12 months.

Yes for me as per car manual.

If car is from Cnc. Logically should go back and use all the service credit for servicing etc.

I would like to know if I need to go back to change oil after 1k run in ? or do i run in for 1k then drive as per normal till 15k?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Well, almost 5000km and not much as changed in terms of impression of the car.

I did have to change a tyre, because a bump appeared on the sidewall, either due to a pothole or an impact on the side, probably the former since i'm sure i have not kerbed my wheels. These runflats are expensive, CnC wanted to charge $400 for it but i change outside instead because one moment they no stock, next moment got stock but 2013 manufactured so i gave up trying to use my service credits.

The most worthwhile thing i've done so far is the hydrophobic coating by Detail Mania, everytime it rains i smile because after that the car is clean. =)

No warranty for tyres?

Well, almost 5000km and not much as changed in terms of impression of the car.

I did have to change a tyre, because a bump appeared on the sidewall, either due to a pothole or an impact on the side, probably the former since i'm sure i have not kerbed my wheels. These runflats are expensive, CnC wanted to charge $400 for it but i change outside instead because one moment they no stock, next moment got stock but 2013 manufactured so i gave up trying to use my service credits.

The most worthwhile thing i've done so far is the hydrophobic coating by Detail Mania, everytime it rains i smile because after that the car is clean. =)

But Zeenie's car is only 3+ months old.

I think bump or bubble over side wall is a common problem with runflats.

How many big pot holes in Singapore?

Zeenie was your rim damaged or bent?

This should be a wear and tear issue. Not a manufacturer defect.

But Zeenie's car is only 3+ months old.

I think bump or bubble over side wall is a common problem with runflats.

How many big pot holes in Singapore?

Zeenie was your rim damaged or bent?

RIM was thankfully ok. Honestly, it is still a mystery to me how the bump occured. I check my tyres regularly at least once during my weekly self-wash and am certain i haven't kerbed them, hence concluded it must be some pothole. Haven't driven up north, so i must be damn sway to hit that rare pothole in Singapore. It was safe the drive with the bump but its presence indicated that a leak had definitely occurred. Yes, this is under wear and tear.

Do check your tyres regularly! They are one of the most crucial elements between you and the road, so for safety's sake they must be good and safe.

• 3 months later...

Update: Recently hit 10,000km and trying to find the time to get the tyres rotated. Supposed to be done at 5k but i delayed 'cos i changed a tyre. In terms of driving, the car is comfortable and a nice place to be for me especially on Saturdays when i'm the one driving my family everywhere (for classes, appointments, engagements). Managed to kerb my rear right rim when i took a U-turn too early, but managed to repair it til it is unnoticeable (thanks Hurry Tyres!).

Coating for the car is still doing well, as a recent car wash by me saw the water running of the bonnet like oil in a teflon pan. =)

Still puts a smile on the face as i walk to the car each day.

Update: Recently hit 10,000km and trying to find the time to get the tyres rotated. Supposed to be done at 5k but i delayed 'cos i changed a tyre. In terms of driving, the car is comfortable and a nice place to be for me especially on Saturdays when i'm the one driving my family everywhere (for classes, appointments, engagements). Managed to kerb my rear right rim when i took a U-turn too early, but managed to repair it til it is unnoticeable (thanks Hurry Tyres!).

Coating for the car is still doing well, as a recent car wash by me saw the water running of the bonnet like oil in a teflon pan. =)

Still puts a smile on the face as i walk to the car each day.

Hey Bro,

just a query, which coating did you do? Also how's your FC thus far?

Hey Bro,

just a query, which coating did you do? Also how's your FC thus far?

My hydrophobic coating was done by Detail Mania (good guys, passionate boss) and FC-wise getting 10km/l, which is slightly worse than my previous ride. May have to do something about this some how. ;)

My hydrophobic coating was done by Detail Mania (good guys, passionate boss) and FC-wise getting 10km/l, which is slightly worse than my previous ride. May have to do something about this some how. ;)

hmmmm....perhaps you're a heavy footed driver? being light footed means gotta drive on centre or left lane most of the time and cruising between 80 to 90 also. If personally you can tahan this then good lor. :D

• Like 1

I'm into my 150km :P and FC is like 10.5l/100km   :sleep:

Haha... ok la... 1.6L turbo detuned engine... kinda expected.

I wonder if we send for tuning, will it help?

I had a Racechip installed 2 months back cos I wasn't used to the slow pickup. The first thing I noticed was that the gears hold longer.  I drive about 60% - 70% on highways and the rest urban.  Just checked my FC today. 9.5l/100km with average speed 26km/h.

Racechip is set conservatively as I don't know if there'll be any problems if I tune it too aggressively.  Even with this conservative settings, it's a much better drive.  So far no issues.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes. Join us for meet up! =)

In the meantime, do feel free to post any query in the forum as the collective experience and knowledge here should answer most questions.

any tips for new owners? :D

• Like 2