• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New member to W124

Guest ericlim1338

Guest ericlim1338

Hi to all the knowledgeable W124 seniors here.

Just purchase a W124 16V 93 model ; Reg 94 - Stupid enough to buy a old number plate the replace the SGZ plate... - but certainly i am happy; got it repainted to BLACK (prev. White). DUn ask me how much I paid for it; just knew that I had been cut throat... :banghead:

sigh... but had been running in and out from the Used Car Agent workshop and managed to get these parts replaced.

1. Engine oil leak replaced a top engine gasket; some oil seal ; seem okie now

2. Petrol Inlet and return hose (engine side) ; Can't image the hose had a hole and leaking and I am driving like putting 10ml into the engine and 10ml wasting; likely it did NOT caught fire :( ; did not buy fire insurance... haha...

3. Yesterday; just replaced the petrol hose at the undercarriage near the fuel tank ; no wonder i keep smelling petrol scent....

It's all fixed up but I am still feeling something is not right ; :pray: any seniors can advice...

FC - 1st tank full to slightly lower than 1/4 mark - clock 440km (65%Highway / 40% City) - Refuel - 50 litres and doing about 280km 1/2 tank; is this good or bad.

Suspension - How to check and where?

Tyres - 195-65 R15 (Mitchelline Energy - lousy noisy when going above 90km/hr) - is this the correct size on orignial MB rims - Any recommendations?

I am planning my first servicing; any good w/shop to recommend; best is someone can test drive and tell me all the faults and problems (HONESTLY), at least I can get it fixed up and drive with a peace mind. Can't afford any off the road - breakdown...

Well... hope to hear from you guys and gals... Cheers. :clap:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi welcome eric... =)

1. 280km for half tank is okay. ( It can be improved i m getting 300km/ half tank )

2. stock size for W124 is 195/65/R15 but i recommend 205/65/R15.

Do come down for meet up this Sundae eric.. =) I m real glad that there is another 124 owner joining the forum =)

Hi Eric, welcome to the big spenders club. :devil2:

FC - 1st tank full to slightly lower than 1/4 mark - clock 440km (65%Highway / 40% City) - Refuel - 50 litres and doing about 280km 1/2 tank; is this good or bad.

Seems reasonable to me. :thumbsup:

After negotiating a hump does your car keep bouncing or does it drive away with a solid soft thump. If it shows signs of bunny behaviour you're due for a change in shock absorbers.

Tyres - 195-65 R15 (Mitchelline Energy - lousy noisy when going above 90km/hr) - is this the correct size on orignial MB rims - Any recommendations?

Avoid Bridgestone Turanza series. To maintain a stock feel with a comfortable ride, I would recommend Continental Comfort Contact tyres. If you'd like something sportier with a tad bit more noise, you can go for the Continental Sport Contact series 2 or series 3. Goodyear Revspec RS-02 is pretty decent as well. Mike is using the sticky Toyo T1-R which I dub the Fast n Furious/Need4Spd tyres becoz they are popular with import cars both here and in the US.

Actually for 65 series tyres for W124 i think dunlop is not bad the SP series... used that on my previous MYR 88 W124 quiet and comfy... but do upgrade to 205/65/R15... Eric u can consider Gd Yr Revspec RS-02 used that before and grip is gd and noise wise is oso okay u can try if it comes in the 65 series...

haha Leon T1R is for cornering freaks... haha not fast and furious... my car not that fast haha

Guest ericlim1338

g8crasher ]

Hi Eric, welcome to the big spenders club. :devil2:

FC - 1st tank full to slightly lower than 1/4 mark - clock 440km (65%Highway / 40% City) - Refuel - 50 litres and doing about 280km 1/2 tank wrote:

Seems reasonable to me. :thumbsup:

After negotiating a hump does your car keep bouncing or does it drive away with a solid soft thump. If it shows signs of bunny behaviour you're due for a change in shock absorbers.

Avoid Bridgestone Turanza series. To maintain a stock feel with a comfortable ride, I would recommend Continental Comfort Contact tyres. If you'd like something sportier with a tad bit more noise, you can go for the Continental Sport Contact series 2 or series 3. Goodyear Revspec RS-02 is pretty decent as well. Mike is using the sticky Toyo T1-R which I dub the Fast n Furious/Need4Spd tyres becoz they are popular with import cars both here and in the US.

Hi g8crasher, ya u r right my pocket getting smaller.........day by day hour to minute to secs... 8.)

After hump, okay la, no bunny bouncing. quite normal, just abit soft feel.. nvr had this feeing for a long time, had been driving new jap MPV cars all along, maybe...

Tyres, no preference on brand, as long as cheap and good, most important Safety first. Thanks guys will KIV your recommendation and explore further.

this Tank is a damn SAFETY FIRST TANK!! :clap:

yup like what mike said, once fixed(2nd wife), it will served you well and long!!

o yah, remember this is a tank, be light foot!, power mostly can feel after 60 to 70km/h!! (well this is for 8Vs, 16Vs i haven't try yet.. :tongue1: )

Guest ericlim1338

Thanks Bro for all the advice.

Honestly I don't really feel the FC is high for W124, when i was driving the Nissian Prarie 5 years ago, FC=7.5km/ltr, own that m/c for 3.5years, then I got a Terrios (Rush) - imagine FC=10km/ltr for a 1.5L m/c, own it for 10 mths and finally got it off the way and change it to Toyota Wish, aiya = FC 12km/ltr, Still owning it (10mths old) ; then got this beautiful W124 FC 8.5/ltr as at today...

Well quite happy with the FC, lucky got 2 mistress to rotate - so ave FC = 10km/ltr 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 - Sunday all rest... :bboyspin:

BTW i am a heavy driver - 1 day min clock 120km somedays = 200km ; like driving taxi :yumyum:

But paying double RT/Insurance - :banghead: ttl = 3800 cc ; 2 insurance policy 2nd mistress NO NCD....

Car wash = double , everything double = my pair of Twin daughter oso double haha...

Gave up my cigarettes to own this W124 ; Crazy hor :tazzie: serious giving up cigarettes can save me $600per mth; enough to fill up my tank for this 2 mistress.... :yawn:

Guest ericlim1338

ya. if I had done that 20 years ago, i probably driving a S-class today. :la:

btw mike, what grade of petrol u recommend and brand. All these years i m only using Techron 95; had tried other brands but FC is lousy.

w124 throttle cable is being tuck behind the firewall and its bended. so if u flip it outside, out of the firewall towards the front of the engine, the cable will be free from bend hence resulting a softer pedal feel.