• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Passive or Active

Guest Winningeleven

Guest kepiting1sg

I am no sifu but people call me lat fu....wahahhahaa Grin

sifuu... just met with edmund yesterday. sends you his regards. am taking over his 12" xtant sub so yesterday go kaypoh abit see his sytem keke ;D

You meant Tua Pui Ed with the Toyota Mark X.

Or is it another yeng tau Edmund who stays in Clementi.

Mark X Edmund using not F1 tires but Alpine F1 HU & Processor ;D

He took over 1 of my IDMax12 sub for his ride.

I nearly ransom him for the sub, cos got money also no one sells in Sinkapor. ;D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Winningeleven

kepiting1sg ]

Oh 1 more thing to add,

I' wrote:

IMHO

Free air subs when "properly installed" - i.e boh chow hong...hehehhe!!! is as good as sub/subsin sealed box/boxes.

A sub is a must whether you listen to techno, classical or any music. Without a sub, you will lose the low Hz anything from 20Hz to 60Hz. This is the Hz range that gips U the oomp and the "meat" of the music.

Back to sub. If you wanna safe space use a Image Dynamic IDQ12 i.e a 12 inches sub

in a sealed box or 2 IDQ 10" in seal boxes. You can either hang them up or push them right into the deepest corner of your boot space.

These subs dun take up much space.

A IDQ12 takes up a recommended box size of 0.85 cu.ft i.e less than 1ft x 1 ft x 1ft box.

A IDQ10 takes up a recommended box size of 0.5 cu.ft. 2 boxes only takes up 1 cu.ft

1 10" sub is not enough and you are better off with 2 (Ph@tboy uses 2 of these subs with no regrets). However a 12" sub bass Hz will go lower than 2 10".

Conclusion:- I recommend you use 1 12" IDQ12V2 D2 i.e double voice coil 2 ohm.

With a single sub with DVC(Double Voice Coil) 2 ohm, you can wire it into either a 4 ohm load which usually you can drive it with a bridged "normal" 2 channel amp.

Or wire it into a 1 ohm load and use a Class D amp stable to 1 ohm mono to drive it.

There's no SQ diff. bet a DVC 2 ohm or 4 ohm. It only helps you to configure your amp/amps to drive them.

Hope this Rp 1 of opinion helps. ;D

Uncle i trying to save up for 3 way speaker, so now the 2 kicker sub if still can use better dun change 1st. Do u think a single sub in box better or 2 sub free air better huh?

Thanks

You meant Tua Pui Ed with the Toyota Mark X.

Or is it another yeng tau Edmund who stays in Clementi.

Mark X Edmund using not F1 tires but Alpine F1 HU & Processor ;D

He took over 1 of my IDMax12 sub for his ride.

I nearly ransom him for the sub, cos got money also no one sells in Sinkapor. ;D

Unker KP, this one east sider drive Mazda 3 same gang as derekdj ? ;D

Using P90, DLS gear self installed sui sui bor zhao zhui

Winningeleven

Uncle i trying to save up for 3 way speaker, so now the 2 kicker sub if still can use better dun change 1st. Do u think a single sub in box better or 2 sub free air better huh?

you using kicker L7 solobarics ?

Guest kepiting1sg

Unker KP, this one east sider drive Mazda 3 same gang as derekdj ? ;D

Using P90, DLS gear self installed sui sui bor zhao zhui

Ya! Ya! Edmund with the Madza nick Protege.

He's with us in the ICE D.I.Y forum.

This is the yeng tau Edmund I know. :D

He used to live in Clementi. Nice chap!

He 1st kid is a princess, dunno how many he has now. ;D

He just return back to I.C.E after M.I.A for a few years.

Cheers!

Ya! Ya! Edmund with the Madza nick Protege.

He's with us in the ICE D.I.Y forum.

This is the yeng tau Edmund I know. Cheesy

He used to live in Clementi. Nice chap!

He 1st kid is a princess, dunno how many he has now. Grin

He just return back to I.C.E after M.I.A for a few years.

Cheers!

Looks like he giving up leow lor.. sold off almost everything. Retiring from the scene. Yaya nice chap. Poor thing kana aeroplane by many "potential buyers" so happy for him he managed to clear stuff to proper people over the weekend.

Guest Winningeleven

Hi dial911 , my sub is around 5 years old liao,dun really know the model.But i think its made in USA, kicker free air 10" sub. Sorry thats all i know.

BTW thinking of buying a 3way speakers, what do u recommend for SQ?

Budget around 1K, heard alot of gd review on the Danish Accoustic speaker,any comment on this ?

Cheers

BTW thinking of buying a 3way speakers, what do u recommend for SQ?

Budget around 1K, heard alot of gd review on the Danish Accoustic speaker,any comment on this ? Cheers

Personally with a 1k budget I'll skip the 3 way and go for the best 2 way money can buy.

SQ got plenty of brands available.. Scanspeak, DLS, Dynaudio, Seas Lotus Reference, Rainbow, Focal.. every brand claims to have it's own sound but all this is also relative to the type of equipment you use to power them up. Your selection criteria from head unit, cables, to amplifier etc will help define the sound you are after.

It's best if you can go listen to the speakers and make the judgement for yourself (at meetups better, some shops attitude need makeover). IMO better to get more established brands in case you need to sell 'em off later, the resale value will be better and your items will move faster.

I like rock, female vocals, a little bit of hard techno (ritchie hawtin /plastikman type not tiu tiu tiu) and a dash of 80s pop. Currently using DLS MS6 2 way active mode. It's in the mid to lower tier of the DLS range of speakers. Have been using it for the last 5 years as I find its the best compromise in terms of $$$ and quality for my taste in music. Itchy now feel like upgrading so looking for a new amp to power my mids and a monoblock to whack the sub. ;)

Guest Winningeleven

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if i change to seas lotous reference is my amp powerful enough to drive the speakers?If not i still have another alpine MRV-F307 4 channel amp, can i bridge the PPI to drive the seas mid and bridge the alpine to drive the tweeter?This should be able to drive the seas right?Both are 4 channel amp.

I will upgrade my amp, but have to wait till i change my car end of this year,so thinking of changing to a gd pair of speakers, Dun want to change my amp then realise my speaker not gd enough.

BTW if i change to Danish Accoustic either 2 or 3way is this speaker power hungry?Do i need to use both my 4 channel amp to drive it if i'm using 2 way?

Cheers

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if i change to seas lotous reference is my amp powerful enough to drive the speakers?If not i still have another alpine MRV-F307 4 channel amp, can i bridge the PPI to drive the seas mid and bridge the alpine to drive the tweeter?This should be able to drive the seas right?Both are 4 channel amp.

I will upgrade my amp, but have to wait till i change my car end of this year,so thinking of changing to a gd pair of speakers, Dun want to change my amp then realise my speaker not gd enough.

BTW if i change to Danish Accoustic either 2 or 3way is this speaker power hungry?Do i need to use both my 4 channel amp to drive it if i'm using 2 way?

Cheers

IMHO,

I believe both your ppi & alpine 4 channels are bridgeable.

Bridging will "theoratically" double your amp distortion rate but IMHCCBO, I dun think U and me can hear the differences. ;D

If I am your installer, I gonna tew U. Just finished tuning your system, U itchy kar chng want to change speakers and bridge your amps and he has to retune all over again.

At this rate U goin, U gonna spend more money than necessary.

Go & sit down, meditate, sleep & dream about it, then U decide for yourself what U eventually want in your ride whether current or new ride.

Go with what you have now and plan your ICE for your new ride!

Money neber enough!.....wkakakakaka! ;D :D ;D

Guest Winningeleven

Totally 100% agreed with you.

I know i should have wait till i change car before i do anything.but my head keep thinking of the Focal k2p upgrade i listen to another day,now everyday i surf the net trying to find review for the best value for $ component speaker 2 or 3 way.From my initial $600-$800 budget stretch to 1k-1.2k, reason been i dun want to upgrade my amp when i change car then found out my speaker not gd enough for my amp.

Moreover if i change car i've to change speaker and amp together than i think i will be very heartpaint to fork out a big sum of $.So now i change speaker than few mths later when i change car than i only have to change amp and pay for soundproof and installation charges.Anyway all this is excuse to convince myself to upgrade my speaker. ;D

I would rather SIM TIA TIA 1 shot buy a gd speaker then i dun have to worry about speaker anymore.

If i change car even i decided to quit ICE, at least i still can replace the stock speaker with this or sell it away.IMOH a gd quality speaker from this few brand i mention can easily last 5 years and above even my focal polyglass already last me 4 years liao :laugh:

Uncle back to the topic do u think my PPI amp able to drive the SEAS or DA? Is it necessary to use both my 4 channel amp? Is the SEAS value for $ its around $500 more than the DA.

I'm buying from this guy he is selling his seas lotus reference, brand new local set with warranty to be confrim cause he say dunno agent got give warranty for speaker or not.

http://sgsoundsystem.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5816&page=3

Regards

Guest kepiting1sg

Hello friend,

IMHCCBO,

Warranty for speakers arh?

This normally applies with the installer & the agent.

and also the relationship & trust between the installer & agent.

i.e when the installer 1st time installed the speakers and found they are faulty, they usually can seek recourse from the agent.

After that, no one will gip U any more warranty unlike amps or HUs.

Once it left the installer place and say the voice coil burnt, nobody will gip U warranty replacement. They will say U shorted the voice coil by maybe @ high volume or your fingers itchy go and adjust your amp sensitivity settings, etc. :( :( :( Unless the onus is on you to show that it's an installer fault. :D

If i change car even i decided to quit ICE, at least i still can replace the stock speaker with this or sell it away.IMOH a gd quality speaker from this few brand i mention can easily last 5 years and above even my focal polyglass already last me 4 years liao

Now U realize that changing speakers can have lots more improvement to your ICE rather than say changing cables, amps or even HU....hehehehehe!

BTW my SG ride, HU, Processor, Front speakers' amps, Front speakers & Subs are >10 years old. My Pleasure Island ride, the HU, processors are 17 years old and the speakers are nearer to 15 years old. All of them are still alive & kicking.....They dun sound a day older.............wakakakaka! ;D ;D ;D

If U die die must buy the SEAS or DA, please do some checks 1st before U buy. Check visually it's not damaged and also check the voice coils are OK. The last part, U can't check but me & your installer should be able to check by using a tone generator(I doubt U have one). When I sell my speakers to buyers; I will test the speakers voice voils with a tone generator infront of them and show them they are working and dun cum back later and say they are no good....hehehehe! ;D)

Go & try out your ppi amp! your ppi amp should gip U the 4 x 75WRMS and not like some amps only rated PMPO as if they are portable music compo.....wakakakak!

PPI amps are usually regulated amps meaning if they say 4 x 75WRMS, they will have a constant output of 4 x 75WRMS at any voltage from 12V to say 14.5V.

Most car electrical system runs around 13.3V.

Unregulated amps (most do) when the ratings say 4 x 100WRMS @ 14.3V(They like to rate at this voltage) but at the usual voltage of 13.3V, like your pants drop, i.e 4 x 100WRMS @ 14.3V could becums 4 x 75WRMS @ 13.2V.

Also take into account whether regulated amps like ppi or unregulated amps, they are usually AB amps and they tend to lose about as much as 60% output efficiency to heat loss, so U go & mentally do your sums what WRMS is left.....wakakakak! ;D

Your PPI amp should be able to drive your SEAS or DA until U change amps later, so not so SIM TIA at one go.

My opinion woth Indonesian Rp 1 are about = 0.0000017 cent ;D

JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!

Guest Winningeleven

Hihi, need help again,

After my few days of research and going down to installer place to audit the speaker, i finally shortlist 3 pairs.

1) Focal K2p upgrade - $1200-local agent set with install.

2) Seas Reference RW165 + RT25A 1 model b4 the lastest model. -$1250 - From a bro in sgsoundsystem, brand new local set never been power up b4.

3) Danish Acoustics Pristinum 6.1 - $750 - local agent set with install.

So far audit the focal and DA speaker, i must say both are very gd speaker, actually like both of them, DA vocal and bass very powerful, focal sounds very warm.

As for the seas lotus, i've not audit the set b4, but read alot of gd review all over the website regarding this speaker, so personally think it must be very gd to deserve such positive review. Somemore i'm getting a brand new set with around $500 discount.( outside selling around 1750 with install)

Experts pls help me decide between this 3 speakers!!!

I listen to vocals and chinese pop song, also have to consider the resale value of this speakers if i will to upgrade to 3 way system in future.

I need to made a decision within this week,so ur advise will certainly helps me decide which 1 to get.

Last but not least anyone know where to audit seas speaker ? Went to a few installer, they usually never power-up the seas,the most they do is display it in a nice show case,maybe this 1 abit ex so they trying to cut cost?

Do you think the seas is a gd buy? Abit scare cause i not buying from the agent,should i take the risk to buy from the froum or get the other 2 from agent?But the seller willing to let me check with the agent to made sure its local set.

Pls advise........................

Cheers

Guest kepiting1sg

>>>>Last but not least anyone know where to audit seas speaker ? Went to a few installer, they usually never power-up the seas,the most they do is display it in a nice show case,maybe this 1 abit ex so they trying to cut cost?<<<<<

Seas Lotus?

Go to Swift Motion @ Kaki Bukit Road 1.

Look for Sam Tan!

I know how to go there, but I dunno the actual address.

Give a call to: 62966330 Look for Sam or his wife Jenny for directions.

Off the grapevine : Resale prices of Focals have been affected by fakes sold @ SLT.

I've never heard of the Danish Acoustics brand before. The drivers look to be very "Dynaudio" like. I'm thinking the brand may be something like Fabulous Acoustic http://www.fabulousacoustic.com where they mix and match speakers from OEM manufacturers. If so, $700 is abit much to ask - I'd rather grab a set of new old stock Dynaudio 220Mk IIs (now known as Esotec 240) for the money... problem is with the Dyns they are rated at 90db so they are known to be little harder to drive.

EDIT:-

I just re-read your thread again... seems you like Hokkien kwa ? Mmm.. ok from what I gather, those who like Hokkien kwa seem to have a preference for Focal tweeters as they are "sharper".... you may find that the Seas/Dynaudios may be a little too warm for your liking.

Guest Winningeleven

Hi dial911 ,

The DA speakers is design by a sporean, and made in norway under seas,

Its actually very similar to seas performance at a lower price range they say its more for asia market.More review can be read here.http://sgsoundsystem.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3505&highlight=Danish+Acoustics+Pristinum+6.1

Anymore advise pls???

Guest kepiting1sg

>>>>Anymore add vice pls???<<<<<

Cum to Pleasure Island & visit Unker and U will have plenty of vices. ;D ;D ;D

Go & listen to the seas 1st lah!

Guest Winningeleven

>>>>Anymore add vice pls???<<<<<

Cum to Pleasure Island & visit Unker and U will have plenty of vices. ;D ;D ;D

Go & listen to the seas 1st lah!

Haha uncle,

Today i went down to my installer, they have a set of seas lotus ref, they willing to sell me 1.3k including install and 1 year warranty.Brand new but use it to display in their showcase. They give me quite a gd price because there is new model coming out for the seas ref. So i think most likely will took this offer, focal k2p upgrade already 1.2k liao might as well buy seas right?

Guest kepiting1sg

U have answered your own Q! ;D ;D ;D

There's nothing to lose in bargaining it down another $50 or $100.

That savings U can belanja Unker Milo Dinosaur ;D ;D ;D

Guest Winningeleven

uncle,

I was quoted 1.6k, then i bargain untill 1.3k liao, dun dare to ask for more wait kena thrown out of the shop, haha....

He somemore show me the dealer pricelist for the seas its almost their cost price, they only made abit for labour, and they have overhead to cover so we must also understand lah.

Anyway i sure own u a drink + makan, u really gave me alot of valueable advise.

Now hoping my amp can handle the seas lotus ref, If not have to spent more $ and time.

I intend to change to a gd 4 channel amp when i change my car next time .budget around 3K for the 4 channel,But for now i have to stop ,already spend too much on ICE liao.

Cheers

Guest Winningeleven

Hi, juz to update u guys, I've finally install my focal k2p upgrade 3 way system.

I also upgrade the 4" k2p mid to the 3" BE mid top up another $200 making it total $800 for only the mid speaker.

Personally like the system very much very sastify with the overall performance.

Now my weekest link is my amp, hope to upgrade when i change my ride next year.

Care to give any advise? Welcome all comments, gd or bad!!!

Cheers

Guest kepiting1sg
Personally like the system very much very sastify with the overall performance.

I can tell you that changing the amps would not make lotta quantum leap in SQ.

One school of thought by RC is A watt is A watt....wkakakak ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

Please read my statement again!

"Will not make quantum leap in your SQ" ;D ;D ;D

Dun spend too much on your amps! ;D

My current ride uses 3 amps

2 pcs. 2 x 50WRMS @ 4 ohm (10 yrs. old amps)

1 pc. 2 x 190 WRMS @ 4 ohm (7 yrs. old amp)

Total 3 amp = 580WRMS nia