• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Talk

W124beginner

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Have always thought the w124 is a real charming car. Thinking of changing to a COE w124.

Am currently driving a Civic 1.8 which COE will end in Feb 2016. All along was thinking of driving till COE expire then change car, but was recently browsing Mercs on sgcarmart and came across some compelling options in the form of COE w124. They typically cost around $30k and COE is until 2018 or 2019. If I sell my Civic now should be able to get back near to $25k-$30k. Is it a worth it buy considering i can now drive up to 2018 or 2019?

I understand that we are unable take loan, but that's not an issue. I also know the road tax will be almost double what am paying for now. Aside from this, I have some questions:

1) No more OMV to get back at the end of 2018 or 2019, does that make it not a good buy compared to if I stayed with my Civic (OMV around $20k)?

2) How is the maintenance like? COE merc should be quite high i guess, but how scary is it?

3) Real world FC?

4) Anyone was in the same position as me before changing car?

Thanks!

Answers below your questions

1) No more OMV to get back at the end of 2018 or 2019, does that make it not a good buy compared to if I stayed with my Civic (OMV around $20k)?

*W124 is built to last. Of cos, COE cars you won't get any OMV end the end of the year.

2) How is the maintenance like? COE merc should be quite high i guess, but how scary is it?

*w124 maintenance is so much more cheaper than your civic. Its true. You ask around workshops who does w124.

It's just some workshop once see a pointer star and a new owner, their knife surely very sharp to chop carrot..

3) Real world FC?

* FC depends on your right feet. But this car is a tank, you cannot compare it to your civic's FC as it's total different.

This car average 7.5/8.5km per litre as it has aged over the years, as compared when total brand new in the early 90s

Those times FC should be 9/10km per litre.

4) Anyone was in the same position as me before changing car?

*One wise phase I had learnt....

Mercedes is to be Driven

BMW is to Drive.

Hope you understand.

• Like 2

Mechanically the cars are pretty straightforward, regular servicing can be done anywhere. However with all used cars, it is important to get a good one. Some cars have been at the hands of mechanics who have no clue, and the wiring and systems are so frankensteined. stay far away from these cars. far far away.

If you are looking at a pre-93 W124, the parts are super reasonable, in terms of price, and very easy to come by. the 16v ones moved into an era of more complex electronics so some parts can be ex, but still cheaper than any modern car. Just as an example, the mechanical fuel injectors on the 8v cars are probably about $20 plus each. Brake rotors about $50, water pump about $70-80, shock absorbers probably around $300 for all 4. (not including labour of course) 

Real world FC should be around 8km/l, although I know of guys who sit around 9-9.5km/l but its mostly a function of driving habits.

Get it if you like it, owning a car in singapore has never been a logical financial decision. All you have to do is work out how much it will cost you every year and you decide if you want to pay that amount. You can work out how much money you'll get at the end of Feb 2016, and see if it is cheaper to get a car with no OMV but can drive 3 more years. 

Just be warned.. doing up old cars can become an obsession :P

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Henry A. Kissinger

• 4 weeks later...

Try replacing the seal first, it's only a few bucks, and make sure the bolts are not over-tightened, or else they are more prone to leak. 8-10nm is the spec iirc. also, for the 8v covers a lot of mechanics like to put a bead of high-temp RTV silicone to ensure the seal is complete. The problem with the covers is that they are made of a composite, which can warp over time. If you do get used, try to lay it on a large flat slab to make sure it is not warped.

Henry A. Kissinger

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone knows where I can change or buy W124 instrument cluster with LED backlight? I plan to change if its not too costly. Thanks!

Hi Welcome Bro,

The dials you can replaced with those plasma type from ebay, LED back lights you will need to install from the top which will need some modifications.

I replaced the illumination bulbs on mine with LED bulbs when I bought a new cluster housing. Reason being that the regular tungsten bulbs heat up and turn the prisms brown and opaque after time. These are just regular T10 LED bulbs that you can plug and play. 

For plasma type gauges... look here

Henry A. Kissinger

Thanks for the plasma link. I think I will skip after checking the website. If its not OE I don't think I will consider replacing it. I will just continue to stick to my original instrument cluster. Over the years I have changed a lot of wear and tear spare parts. Just glad and proud that it still retained the original modern classic look since day one. Cheerios.