• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Slk roof rattles?

Hi all, i am a potential slk(R171) owner and have always love the slk and never fail to stare in admiration when seeing one on road. However, recently while searching for it, i test drove 2 units and to my disapointment, realize that when the roof is up and enclosed, there always seems to be several rattling noise all around while driving. The car dealer told me it was common and not an issue, still being doubtful, I rather ask the honest opinions from you guys as experience owners.

My main concern and question for a potential Slk (R171)owner for the next few years is -

- Are the rattling noises when the roof is up a common noise for the Slk? If yes, have any of you manage to solve this noise issue?

- I have also realize that Some slk200 doesn't come in electric seats. Isn't it standard for electric seats?

Thank you all in advance and hope to see you guys in the future slk meet-ups.

Regards,

Lime

Hi,

I too just purchased a second hand R171 and have faced the same issues.  The roof creaks once in a while.  I originally suspected that it was because the roof wasn't closing properly because there was a hydralic leak issue but I had that fixed and the creaking is still there. 

I've done some research online and one common explaination is because the seals need some oiling.  I haven't had the chance to oil the various roof joints, which I hope to do this weekend and am praying that it will solve the squeaking issue.  I'll let you know once I get to it.

No, mine doesn't come with electric seats.

Having said that, aside from the creaking issue, the car is really fun to drive and handles well.  Besides, I'm also using it as my wedding car in the coming months so I can't complain too much.

• Like 1

It's the rubber seals between the roof panels making that sound. Lubricate them and the sound will reduce dramatically.

• Like 1

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.

- Albert Camus

Hi,

I too just purchased a second hand R171 and have faced the same issues. The roof creaks once in a while. I originally suspected that it was because the roof wasn't closing properly because there was a hydralic leak issue but I had that fixed and the creaking is still there.

I've done some research online and one common explaination is because the seals need some oiling. I haven't had the chance to oil the various roof joints, which I hope to do this weekend and am praying that it will solve the squeaking issue. I'll let you know once I get to it.

No, mine doesn't come with electric seats.

Having said that, aside from the creaking issue, the car is really fun to drive and handles well. Besides, I'm also using it as my wedding car in the coming months so I can't complain too much.

Hi Smiley,

The creaking the 2 units I test drove was bad tho unlike yours which is once in a while. Nonetheless do keep me update once you have oil the seals ya and hope it solve the issue. Congrats to you and I am sure the slk will make a wonderful wedding car.

It's the rubber seals between the roof panels making that sound. Lubricate them and the sound will reduce dramatically.

Hi Tanzy, thanks for the info and if my future ride really does creak in the future will definitely try lubricating the rubber seals.

May I also ask what lubricant you use for the rubber seals? Thks.

Hi Tanzy, thanks for the info and if my future ride really does creak in the future will definitely try lubricating the rubber seals.

May I also ask what lubricant you use for the rubber seals? Thks.

There are many brands available. I use OWS Body Flex Gel. One bottle can use for many many cars over many many years. It will solve most creaks and squeaks due to rubber seal friction. Apply using a sponge. Initially, I was using it for car door noise. The heat and weather very quickly deteriorate the seals and need conditioning every now and then, especially if the car is under the sun a lot.

e791ee2c-fc96-4169-8186-a4ac64bd98a4-l.j

- Albert Camus

Works just like KY? Or better?

Better because this one waterproof and sticky. Apply once, can loot many many times.

value-for-money.jpg

- Albert Camus

BM, time to get a can.....spray one time loot many times......

Tanzy say one.....

Mine is not stainless steel standard!!

Merc has a service bulletin to get rid of this rattle.   Search online and you will easily find the bulletin.

I have just bought a R171 and am going to do this plus add other bling bling.  Feel free to PM me. We can even group-buy things like headlights with daylight LED, Bilstein suspension...etc.

Merc has a service bulletin to get rid of this rattle.   Search online and you will easily find the bulletin.

I have just bought a R171 and am going to do this plus add other bling bling.  Feel free to PM me. We can even group-buy things like headlights with daylight LED, Bilstein suspension...etc.

Cool. I'm going to chrome the front just to give it more pop and also just purchased a wind deflector which i'm going to try to install and hook up this weekend. Can you post the link to this bulletin that you're refering to?

The Service Bulletin on squeaky roof is here :

www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/.../slk/.../dtb_p_b_77_30_30b.pdf

i will try to buy that lube locally and then we can organise a group session to lube the roof.

Great if you can get the lube locally at a reasonable price. I think one lube can do many cars. I can't seem to ever finish using mine.

- Albert Camus