• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Slk roof rattles?

The lube helps to reduce the squeaking and creaking. Definintely makes the overall ride much more enjoyable.

Easy to apply on. Just grab a sponge, lower the roof and then spray into sponge then apply. It feels like water when first handled but then thickens into a sticky gel like feel after a few minutes. Recommend you apply then let it sit for a while to do its thing.

I bought mine from BVO Auto in Sin Ming.

HI Smiley78x, did the squeks go away or was it reduced?

Can you email me a pix of the bottle?  margo-at-singnet-dot-com-dot-sg

Thanks,

For my situation, it went away. However, I'm going to keep applying the solution regularly like once every few weeks/months just to keep it treated.

I believe someone already posted a pic of the bottle. If you go to BVO and ask for a can of body flex they should be able to help you straight away.

• 3 weeks later...

Merc has a service bulletin to get rid of this rattle.   Search online and you will easily find the bulletin.

I have just bought a R171 and am going to do this plus add other bling bling.  Feel free to PM me. We can even group-buy things like headlights with daylight LED, Bilstein suspension...etc.

wah... add me into ur mail list bro ... haha ... 

The lube helps to reduce the squeaking and creaking. Definintely makes the overall ride much more enjoyable.

Easy to apply on. Just grab a sponge, lower the roof and then spray into sponge then apply. It feels like water when first handled but then thickens into a sticky gel like feel after a few minutes. Recommend you apply then let it sit for a while to do its thing.

I bought mine from BVO Auto in Sin Ming.

i need your advice on how do u actually clean and apply it. hhmm ... do u stop the retraction process mid way and do your job or do u let it retract fully then u open the boot and apply the stuff?? pls advice .. pm me if possible. much appreciated. 

All I did was retract the top fully then applied the solution.  

Spray the solution onto a sponge and then just rub it over everything that looks like rubber and/or connects to the roof.  

1.  above front windscreen

2.  on the sides behind the seats (where the small triangle window comes down

3.  open the trunk and then apply over the edges of the roof, not forgetting the hard to reach (left and right sides) parts 

Went to this guy in telok kurau called Bernad.  He claimed to have done 380 cars already.  and about six of them are SLK.  He is a nice guy. Showed me where and how to apply.  And presto, most of the squeaks are gone. This stuff is called krytox. Bernad buys them in bulk and then packs them into smaller size. He charges S$41 and his tutorial takes about 20mins.  He is detailed and patience. Go check him out.  This cream works man. i hope they invent something for human squeaky joints.  I am not sure if Bernad wants his telephone number displayed here or not, so if you are keen, PM me and i will send you his number.

Thanks to fellow kaki Richard for pointing out this lobang.  

Mine sometimes will have squeaking/ rattling sounds at the back of the seats area, not so much the roof.

Don't think any issue with retracing the roof halfway. When I send my ride to be groomed, will do so and get them to clean up the sides of the roof as well.

• 8 months later...

I am sharing with u what works for me and wkshop will charge u for $50.

Buy a can of silicon rubber spray, some grease and a roll of paper tower.

1) 1/2 open ur roof

2) spray all rubber touch points between roof, back glass panel and windscreen. Use the paper tower to shield the spray reaching other areas and white off excess.

3) spread also the plastic flaps, door seals and rubber b/w front and rear windows.

4) put some grease on the metal mechanism....not too excessive.

5) fully open and close

6) open boot, spray all rubber contact points.

Test drive and see which part u need to fine tune....once u get the hang of it...u will get it all done in 10mins in one run and dont need test drive.

Need to repeat 2-3 mths later when noise comes bk.

Hi all, i am a potential slk(R171) owner and have always love the slk and never fail to stare in admiration when seeing one on road. However, recently while searching for it, i test drove 2 units and to my disapointment, realize that when the roof is up and enclosed, there always seems to be several rattling noise all around while driving. The car dealer told me it was common and not an issue, still being doubtful, I rather ask the honest opinions from you guys as experience owners.

My main concern and question for a potential Slk (R171)owner for the next few years is -

- Are the rattling noises when the roof is up a common noise for the Slk? If yes, have any of you manage to solve this noise issue?

- I have also realize that Some slk200 doesn't come in electric seats. Isn't it standard for electric seats?

Thank you all in advance and hope to see you guys in the future slk meet-ups.

Regards,

Lime

See if ur back seat touches the back....if still squeaking, then need to get wkshop to open the back.

Sometimes coins falling off our pockets get stuck under the seats metal rail....those causes noise too when u corner.

Mine sometimes will have squeaking/ rattling sounds at the back of the seats area, not so much the roof.

Don't think any issue with retracing the roof halfway. When I send my ride to be groomed, will do so and get them to clean up the sides of the roof as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...