• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Staggered vs Square setup

yc3333

What are the pros and cons of staggered setup? Other than looks and costs issue.

Did some research online, staggered is not necessary better, though the common perception is such.

Gurus here maybe can shed some light regarding this?

Btw, does original AMGs from factory come with staggered setup? Thanks

Staggered is a must hv for cheongster who love to hoot corner. I m a lover not cheongster.

I feel that staggered does improve handling, I feel more planted to the ground especially during the wets. Although straight line 0-100 timing and FC has increased slightly.

Staggered setups are common on high-performance rear wheel drive cars. (although I've seen powerful FWD cars with wider fronts than rears too) It's ultimately finding a balance between front and rear grip for handling.

Wider rears increase the contact patch and may help with acceleration times, if traction is an issue. If your car tends to be tail-happy when exiting corners, wider rears may also help. 

The reason you may or may not find any real improvement is that most modern cars are engineered to understeer, and certainly traction control plays a part in reining in tail-happy behaviour or off the line traction issues. Of course if you have an AMG, traction control might be somewhat moot....

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Henry A. Kissinger

• 2 weeks later...

last night while making a turn in the wet, i found my rear lost a bit of traction. 

am curious.. if u are losing traction in the rear, (in addition to counter-steer), do you

1. release the gas and hit the brakes,

2. release the gas (only), or

3. continue to hold the gas?

i have heard the reason for points 2 & 3 are for the rear tyres to gain traction again. point 1 may cause u to lose control of the car.

any trackkie can advise?

last night while making a turn in the wet, i found my rear lost a bit of traction.

am curious.. if u are losing traction in the rear, (in addition to counter-steer), do you

1. release the gas and hit the brakes,

2. release the gas (only), or

3. continue to hold the gas?

i have heard the reason for points 2 & 3 are for the rear tyres to gain traction again. point 1 may cause u to lose control of the car.

any trackkie can advise?

Release the gas pedal and do not jam E brake. Only when u feel the car is losing its power!! Aim for the escape route, hold the steering tight then hoot the gas pedal hard. Also when yr car in donut situation dont attempt to counter steer or jam brakes.

Seriously how many of u attempt to perform a FULL E brake when getting yr new car? If you didnt, please do it once or twice to get the feel of the judder braking. I heard of driver when E brake and attempt to jam the brake hard when the ABS (judder) kicks in thinking is a resistance, the driver will panic and stop braking hard!! By doing so yr car will not able to brake on time.

I think most modern traction control systems allow for some slip, but when things get a little too much the computer reduces power to the driven wheels and applies some braking to individual wheels to try to regain traction.

If you lose some rear traction, hold some slight correction and gently ease off the power but don't make large or sudden changes with the throttle or brake or you might destabilize the car further.

Once you are pointed in the direction you want to go, hoot like what BM said!

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Henry A. Kissinger