• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

MY CAR CANNOT START

Westlake

The cause of the problem is the "green key" problem as some forumers have rightly said. It is called "green key" because the key used to reset the car's security system is green in colour. There is no symptom prior to security failure, and you can only hope that it will not happen to your ride. However, when you pull the ignition key out, your should hear a "grrr grrr" sound. Once your hear this, it is "music" to your ears as your car will start on the next attempt. If you do not hear this sound, be prepared for the worst case scenario of "green key" problem. Just my bit to share my experience. I was fortunate that my car was covered by warranty and that it was parked in my car porch when the "green key" problem happened.

does it happen only to 'earlier' w204 pre-fl?

now i'm a bit scared.. mine is the 'later' w204 pre-fl.. just about 1-2 mths before the fl came out last year..

imagine getting stranded in the middle of nowhere on malaysia's kampong b roads with only vegetation on both sides (i kenna before.. no joke!)

The cause of the problem is the "green key" problem as some forumers have rightly said. It is called "green key" because the key used to reset the car's security system is green in colour. There is no symptom prior to security failure, and you can only hope that it will not happen to your ride. However, when you pull the ignition key out, your should hear a "grrr grrr" sound. Once your hear this, it is "music" to your ears as your car will start on the next attempt. If you do not hear this sound, be prepared for the worst case scenario of "green key" problem. Just my bit to share my experience. I was fortunate that my car was covered by warranty and that it was parked in my car porch when the "green key" problem happened.

U lucky you on warranty, mine was not because TWM collapsed 1 week prior... blame it on ar5e luck

dear folks...

this happened to me on the 14th nov...

insert in the key and turn and crank but nothing happened... electricity also does not come on...

dont have the 'ggrr ggrr' sound...

towed to workshop and mechanic says it's the insert-key-that part the inside motor spoilt...

needa change new one but becos the computer chip on a new one cannot read the car system and cannot read the key system and thus needa order from Germany to get them to program it... i cant go back c&c cos my car is a pi car... i checked with c&c... needa pay $5000 to register with them (subject to their approval) and then gotta send in the car for them to check...

in the end, i did at workshop in sin ming... the wait was 10 days and total damage was $3688... this is the best price so far cos another shop i went to quoted me $4000+...

mine a pi, fl c200... registered in 2009, manufactured 2008. mileage when this happened was 65000km... totally no telltale sign one... parked my car and 10 mins later come out, this thing happened!

suay cos it happened but heng cos just the night before, i drove in to jb!!!

i heard the mechanic says this is a common problem in w204s... we cannot prevent it but postings here can serve as future reference the next time someone needs advice, at least on the cost aspect.

post-232-0-96742600-1354018406_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This problem is not limited only to the W204s.  I read the european forum and some blokes have this problem on their W212 and mercedes van.  So it is not a C-class problem.  Am glad mine is replaced by CnC for $130 and hopefully will have at least 1 - 2 years of problem free "green key" issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Got similar problem in KL last week but managed to start the car and drove it back.  Sent it to C&C on Monday and just got it back with steering lock replaced.  Initial quote $1,600-1,700 final bill $1150. According to SA it's not manufacturing defect but rather wear and tear.. :P

Got similar problem in KL last week but managed to start the car and drove it back.  Sent it to C&C on Monday and just got it back with steering lock replaced.  Initial quote $1,600-1,700 final bill $1150. According to SA it's not manufacturing defect but rather wear and tear.. :P

If enough people get this problem then its a manufacturing defect that results in wear and tear...

• 1 month later...
dear folks...

this happened to me on the 14th nov...

insert in the key and turn and crank but nothing happened... electricity also does not come on...

dont have the 'ggrr ggrr' sound...

towed to workshop and mechanic says it's the insert-key-that part the inside motor spoilt...

needa change new one but becos the computer chip on a new one cannot read the car system and cannot read the key system and thus needa order from Germany to get them to program it... i cant go back c&c cos my car is a pi car... i checked with c&c... needa pay $5000 to register with them (subject to their approval) and then gotta send in the car for them to check...

in the end, i did at workshop in sin ming... the wait was 10 days and total damage was $3688... this is the best price so far cos another shop i went to quoted me $4000+...

mine a pi, fl c200... registered in 2009, manufactured 2008. mileage when this happened was 65000km... totally no telltale sign one... parked my car and 10 mins later come out, this thing happened!

suay cos it happened but heng cos just the night before, i drove in to jb!!!

i heard the mechanic says this is a common problem in w204s... we cannot prevent it but postings here can serve as future reference the next time someone needs advice, at least on the cost aspect.

attachicon.gif20121114 Mercedes Repair Receipt.jpg

Does this happen only to c200? C180 got such issues?

• 2 months later...

it happened to me too, went back to cnc. left car there for 4 days and damage was around $1500 (can't remember clearly)

CnC told me i was lucky mine is a CnC unit, if not the cost would easily be 5000+.. phewww

it happened to me too, went back to cnc. left car there for 4 days and damage was around $1500 (can't remember clearly)

CnC told me i was lucky mine is a CnC unit, if not the cost would easily be 5000+.. phewww

No more warranty?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The same scenario happened to me yesterday morning when I was preparing to send my son to school.

Panic set in and tried to crank start the car for a good 5 mins until the engine showed benevolence and turned.

Before this happened, observed that when key was taken out of ignition, that was a louder than usual steering lock sound. Not sure if this is the 'green key' issue as mentioned by other forumers here.

Mine is a 2nd hand pre-FL W204 from Republic Auto and still under warranty.

Will call up C&C and register this problem with them and hopefully can get it resolved, cheaply.

Hi,

The same scenario happened to me yesterday morning when I was preparing to send my son to school.

Panic set in and tried to crank start the car for a good 5 mins until the engine showed benevolence and turned.

Before this happened, observed that when key was taken out of ignition, that was a louder than usual steering lock sound. Not sure if this is the 'green key' issue as mentioned by other forumers here.

Mine is a 2nd hand pre-FL W204 from Republic Auto and still under warranty.

Will call up C&C and register this problem with them and hopefully can get it resolved, cheaply.

Yes if the sound getting louder day by day whenever u insert the fob. Is a sign of green key issue. Is better u get it sort out by cnc as the cost of repair on this issue is much cheaper.

Gd luck!!

Yes if the sound getting louder day by day whenever u insert the fob. Is a sign of green key issue. Is better u get it sort out by cnc as the cost of repair on this issue is much cheaper.

Gd luck!!

Hi blackmercs,

Thanks very much for your advice!

Have made an appt with C&C to get it sorted out.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Green key problem is when the key is removed from the ignition, there is no steering lock sound.  Completely silent.  The next time you insert the key into the ignition and try to start, nothing happens, no cranking sound.  Car is totally immobilised.  It need to be tow back to CnC to change steering lock, and reset the whole security system with the security code of a "Green Key" which agent will have to get from Daimler Benz, Germany..   The key with the security code is green in colour, hence the term "green key".   I was unfortunate to encounter this problem with my pre FL W204 which I bought from Republic, but fortunate that car was under pre-own warranty and problem happened when car was parked in my porch at home.  Total cost of repair at CnC is approx S$1800, as I was told, but the SA talked me into paying S$130 for cost of labour.  The rest is covered by warranty.  Not a bad deal even if I had to pay S$130 as towing charges is S$65 and I got a free taxi voucher which I charged S$22 into when going home from workshop.  Looking at your problem, do not think it is a green key issue, but whatever it is, you must insist that CnC honour the pre-own warranty.  If sound reasoning fail, suggest raising your voice a few bars!  Good luck.

Green key problem is when the key is removed from the ignition, there is no steering lock sound.  Completely silent.  The next time you insert the key into the ignition and try to start, nothing happens, no cranking sound.  Car is totally immobilised.  It need to be tow back to CnC to change steering lock, and reset the whole security system with the security code of a "Green Key" which agent will have to get from Daimler Benz, Germany..   The key with the security code is green in colour, hence the term "green key".   I was unfortunate to encounter this problem with my pre FL W204 which I bought from Republic, but fortunate that car was under pre-own warranty and problem happened when car was parked in my porch at home.  Total cost of repair at CnC is approx S$1800, as I was told, but the SA talked me into paying S$130 for cost of labour.  The rest is covered by warranty.  Not a bad deal even if I had to pay S$130 as towing charges is S$65 and I got a free taxi voucher which I charged S$22 into when going home from workshop.  Looking at your problem, do not think it is a green key issue, but whatever it is, you must insist that CnC honour the pre-own warranty.  If sound reasoning fail, suggest raising your voice a few bars!  Good luck.

Hi Westlake,

In my situation, there is the activating/de-activating of steering lock whenever the key is inserted or removed.

What my experience was that when I cranked the engine, the engine was 'turning'. However, when accelerator was depressed, there was no rev.

So going by your experience, it seems the 'green key' issue is an unlikely problem I am experiencing...

Perhaps a faulty fuel pump or something...nevertheless, car will be send in for a check-up tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your advise!

Cheers!

It will happen as long as it is a Pre FL W204, whether keyless or not.  Read somewhere in this thread that this could be a manufacturing defect.  Anyway I got mine fixed by CnC under warranty, and now it comes with a further 2-year warranty on this replaced part.  Bro Madmack, pls share with us the problem with your ride after your appointment with CnC.  Thanks.