• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Newbie - Hi All

Guest daywalker

Guest daywalker

Hi all

My virgin post in this forum :-[

Was deciding between the new A4 & the W204 over the last week and finally decided to put in the order for a W204 ;D

Problem is I was pretty set on the calcite white until my dad-in-law made "negative" comments about it...e.g. looks too much like a merc taxi, poorer resale value etc.

I would not have cared less if not for the fact that HE will be driving this car daily to ferry my 2 kids to school and so I gotta respect his opinion...what frustrates me is that even my wife has "betrayed" me and swayed to his defence :banghead:

Anyway, I will probably change my order to Iridium Silver as I have chosen the Pano roof option and would like to have the contrast between the roof and the body.

Cheers!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Was deciding between the new A4 & the W204 over the last week and finally decided to put in the order for a W204 ;D

Problem is I was pretty set on the calcite white until my dad-in-law made "negative" comments about it...e.g. looks too much like a merc taxi, poorer resale value etc.

I would not have cared less if not for the fact that HE will be driving this car daily to ferry my 2 kids to school and so I gotta respect his opinion...what frustrates me is that even my wife has "betrayed" me and swayed to his defence :banghead:

Anyway, I will probably change my order to Iridium Silver as I have chosen the Pano roof option and would like to have the contrast between the roof and the body.

Cheers!

hi daywalker,

welcome to the club. hope you will enjoy all the poison coming up!!

hmmm your-in-law says it look like merc taxi? think maybe he was comparing with W124, front shape lookalike.. heehee you should have told him, merc taxi is E-klasse.

anyway hope to see you at meetups or any events!!

Guest daywalker

welcome on board daywalker and congrats on your new ride :welcome:

and yea...you'll nv go wrong wif iridium silver :)

Thanks for the welcome!

BTW, is this community new?

Guest Cklasse

new? relatively, depending on how you look at it.

SGMERC is just about a year old but the history dates back to a few years ago.

It really exploded (with members and activities) right after SGMERC came on.

Welcome, and enjoy the company. :welcome:

Guest daywalker

new? relatively, depending on how you look at it.

SGMERC is just about a year old but the history dates back to a few years ago.

It really exploded (with members and activities) right after SGMERC came on.

Welcome, and enjoy the company. :welcome:

OIC...I was driving a W211 for a few years before 2007 and was not able to find an active MB forum in Singapore then.

Thanks for the welcome :love7:

Guest Archer

Hi all

Cheers!

Hi daywalker,

I'm just as new as you are! haha! anyway i also did contemplate white colour as it looks very good on the W204. But I also decided against it due to the "taxi" stigma. So I chose paladium silver. haha. So when do u get ur car, bro?

Guest daywalker

Archer ]

Hi all

Was deciding between the new A4 & the W204 over the last week and finally decided to put in the order for a W204 wrote:

Hi daywalker,

I'm just as new as you are! haha! anyway i also did contemplate white colour as it looks very good on the W204. But I also decided against it due to the "taxi" stigma. So I chose paladium silver. haha. So when do u get ur car, bro?

Hey Archer

Estimated delivery Oct/Nov.

Did consider paladium silver as well but decided against it as there are already 2 W204s in my car park with the same color.

How long is your wait gonna be?

Guest daywalker

Arrrrggghh...just read from the other thread about how someone's brother in law has just bought a white W204 with 18" rims, and how wonderful the lines look..........my head is gonna explode :death:

Should I go against everyone in my family and stick to white... :pray:

Guest Cklasse

My view about cars is if money is not in the equation, go for the one your heart wants. You don't want to be looking at the white W204 on the road everytime and regret not having it. Instead of admiring your own car, you are admiring other's. :spiderman:

Guest natvek

Hi Daywalker,

I just got my car 2 weeks ago, and yes its white ;D i know there'll be Stigma abt white mercs, but i agree with Cklasse, go with what your heart wants. Its like marrying the wrong girl if its not who you really love.... ;D :love7: ;D

Anyways, i ignored whatever comments i got and went with white....and nope.....ive not regreted it a bit.... :clap:

but hey disclaimer......if you follow your heart, whatever happens at home :swduel: not my fault k ;D

Guest daywalker

My view about cars is if money is not in the equation, go for the one your heart wants. You don't want to be looking at the white W204 on the road everytime and regret not having it. Instead of admiring your own car, you are admiring other's. :spiderman:

Well put...issue here is that my dad in law is the one driving it on weekdays and I am almost certain that he WILL put the blame on anything/everything bad that happens to this car e.g. curbed, scratched etc to the fact that it is WHITE :-\

Guest daywalker

Hi Daywalker,

I just got my car 2 weeks ago, and yes its white ;D i know there'll be Stigma abt white mercs, but i agree with Cklasse, go with what your heart wants. Its like marrying the wrong girl if its not who you really love.... ;D :love7: ;D

Anyways, i ignored whatever comments i got and went with white....and nope.....ive not regreted it a bit.... :clap:

but hey disclaimer......if you follow your heart, whatever happens at home :swduel: not my fault k ;D

CONGRATS!!

What options did you choose?

Guest daywalker

Hiyah, just had another mini debate with my FC who just woke up...

She puts it across this way:

If someone looks at our ride, she wants the first comments being "Wow, the new C class...quite nice leh!" and NOT

"Ai yoh, look at that white merc, looks like a taxi man...but the black roof quite nice la"

sigh

Guest daywalker

Had to sit through another "lecture" by my wife and her family for the last 20 mins.

Looks like I have lost the battle....

Thanks everyone for your honest feedback :iconsalut:

I also chose black in the end due to the stigma.

But look at it this way, perhaps we can do a group buy/group respray to white once we get sick of the colour. ;D

By the way, how much did you pay for the new ride?

Care to pm me?

Tks

Had to sit through another "lecture" by my wife and her family for the last 20 mins.

Looks like I have lost the battle....

Thanks everyone for your honest feedback :iconsalut:

Guest gainax

Hi Daywalker, its nice to know another W204 owner that got "force" into getting another colour rather than white due to the damn merc cab stigma. (I am one of them too haha)

Im still waiting for my W204, so when is your ride coming?

Guest daywalker

Hi Daywalker, its nice to know another W204 owner that got "force" into getting another colour rather than white due to the damn merc cab stigma. (I am one of them too haha)

Im still waiting for my W204, so when is your ride coming?

Thanks for the empathy...really appreciate the "comradie" spirit shown by the forumers here :)

I just returned from another round trip to the showroom. That's what i like about the new CnC showroom, you can literally drive up to the 2nd/3rd storey car park- take a look at the new cars there as literally all the colors are there for "viewing"- then get out of there without being "attended" to by one of the SEs :laugh: Anyway, brought my mom-in-law and my kids this time round. There were a couple of silver W204s parked there and I must admit that they actually do look good...the white W204 in the car park somehow looked yellowish compared to the ones inside the showroom.

Oh my ride is probably arriving in Oct/Nov.

Cheers!

Guest gainax

well, silver is suppose to look good on a merc, its like their trademark colour. (See F1 Safety Cars down to the original/famous silver arrow)

:iconsalut:

A story exists that the origin of the Silver Arrows was accidental. The international governing body of motor sport prescribed for 1934 onwards a maximum weight limit of 750 kilograms for Grand Prix racing cars, excluding tyres and fuel. When the Mercedes-Benz team placed its new Mercedes-Benz W25 on the scrutineering scales prior to the first race (the Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring) in spring 1934, it allegedly recorded 751 kg. Racing manager Alfred Neubauer and his driver Manfred von Brauchitsch were at first baffled, before allegedly hitting on the idea of scraping all the white paint from the bodywork. The story continues that next day the shining silver aluminium beneath was exposed and scrutineering was passed. After a successful race of the 320 hp cars, the nickname Silver Arrow was born, according to the legend. However, this story did not appear until Alfred Neubauer's biography was published in 1958, and no reference to it has been found in contemporary sources. Furthermore, Neubauer cannot reasonably be considered a reliable source, considering his fictitious account of the 1933 Tripoli Grand Prix.

Until 1937, the supercharged engine of a Mercedes-Benz W125 attained an output of 646 hp (475 kW), a figure not exceeded in Grand Prix Racing until the early 1980s, with the appearance of turbo-charged engines in Formula One. The Silver Arrows of Mercedes and Auto Union cars reached speeds of well over 300 km/h in 1937, and well over 400 km/h during land speed record runs.

The superiority of these vehicles in international motor racing established the term "Silver Arrow" as a legend, for example by usually winning the first race in which they were entered. The names Rudolf Caracciola, Bernd Rosemeyer, Hermann Lang, and later Stirling Moss and Juan Manuel Fangio, will forever be associated with the eras of these racing cars[\quote]