• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

E200 or E250, 5spd or. 7spd?

Roytan90

Hi everyone,

Need advice from the senior here, I am looking for a used yr 2012/13 either E200 or E250.

Shld I get the 5 or 7-G speed gearbox in terms of reliability ?

Or which model shld I go for and what to look out for? As I understand some dealers actually cleared/reset all error code b4 selling. Any/all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E250 will be better choice in terms of better hp and not much diffs in pricing between these 2 models. If the used car from agent send it back to agent for a thorough check. PI car u may send it to Optimawerkz and purchase one warranty package from them. Who foot the bill depends on your nego power. Still got doubts and lose sleep? Then send it to Vicom for a check, look out for these comment on "seepages or leakages" from the under carriage. Likely damages from coolant systems, gear box or from engines area. The dealer will cover you only gear box and engine malfunction the rest will be "wear & tear"!!

5 or 7 gears the diffs is only better FC. How to check how many gears? Shift the gear using manual function modes. Good dealer is hard to come by so do your diligent check. Good luck

Purely from a gearbox point of view, I personally prefer how the 5 speed feels when driving. It feels more raw when you push the gearbox hard, gives you a good kick and a smile on your face. The 7 speed feels much smoother. Anyway, this is dependant on each personal driving style.

Not entirely sure on reliability, my 5 speed has already passed the 120,000km mark with no major issues (touch wood).

What age of the car are u looking at? I can PM u some of the common symptoms I encountered and u can look out for it.

As to what workshop, some have given u the workshop to go to above. I usually ask Ah Lye @ Lye Design to do it. But for workshop to inspect, the dealer gotta drive down and most are unwilling. FYI.

Hi blackmerce & markcwq,

Thanks for the advices, really appreciate it.
Is there any good workshop that do pre-purchase inspection for used car?

My ex mistresses....

9394559638_9f28a394db.jpg

Hi Achtungku,

I am actually looking for a 2012 or newer E class, but it seems that all are 7-g tronic gearbox which I am worry abt the reliability. (I have a bad experience with the 7-g on a used ML350 which I sold off after owning for few mths).

Hence I am likely to look for 5spd gearbox E class which are likely older like 2010/11 unless I can find some newer cars.....but is the 7-g really so bad ? Appreciate your help :) await your PM. Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lighting,

The ML will jerk (with a loud sound) when changing from 1st Gear to 2nd Gear everyday during the initial move off , after that it will be normal from the rest of the day unless u parked the car for a long time......

The symptom is the gear refuse to upshift and u can feel "pressure" being accumulated with the rpm going up then suddenly the gear changed with a big jerk and "tots" sound.

This is typical of a 7 speed gear box after a certain mileage/age.

By warming up your engine for 1 min during cold start every morning, such jerk will not happen.

For a 5 speed gearbox, there is no such jerk even during cold start and you can drive straight away without warm up

Hi Lighting,

The ML will jerk (with a loud sound) when changing from 1st Gear to 2nd Gear everyday during the initial move off , after that it will be normal from the rest of the day unless u parked the car for a long time......
The symptom is the gear refuse to upshift and u can feel "pressure" being accumulated with the rpm going up then suddenly the gear changed with a big jerk and "tots" sound.

Bro, the "jerk" effect may well be the transmission control module or the transmission valve body having some issue. Do remember to change transmission oil / filter and clean tray after clocking about 40K km.. The new transmission 722.9 is a rather robust and powerful unit to break, however, the valve body, conductor plate and the shifter module may require further checking after clocking respectable mileages. :phew:

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a November 2012 e200 7G

and I had driven a 2010 e200 5 spd before

and it drives completely different eventhough the same engine

I prefer the 7g Smoothness of and it doesn't feel as "RAW" or free revving.

Year 2012 final batch prefacelift will have AMG kit/ Upgraded suspension and Brakes.

my car is 50K km and I had no issues with it so far.

Regarding E200/250.. 250 is more powerful, have the sunblinds package and that's about it

Same roadtax

but day to day driving, my E200 is good enough and able to beat some sonata taxi at the green light :)

Same feedback!

I drove the May 2010 E250 Avantagrde 5spd and currently Oct 2011 E250 Avantgarde 7 spd.(135K km)

Quieter engine cos of the 7 speed and with the same right foot, 7 spd FC is better.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Same feedback!

I drove the May 2010 E250 Avantagrde 5spd and currently Oct 2011 E250 Avantgarde 7 spd.(135K km)

Quieter engine cos of the 7 speed and with the same right foot, 7 spd FC is better.

Bro, went back to E ah.

Thought you were on C-Klass.

Bro, went back to E ah.Thought you were on C-Klass.

From 2010 W212 went for the W164 ML300.

Then boh lui downgrade to FL W204.

Then save a little went back to W212.

This W212 has almost everything I wanted.

Factory COMAND, Panaroof, etc, etc.

High OMV of nearly $60k. :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

From 2010 W212 went for the W164 ML300.

Then boh lui downgrade to FL W204.

Then save a little went back to W212.

This W212 has almost everything I wanted.

Factory COMAND, Panaroof, etc, etc.

High OMV of nearly $60k. :)

thumbs-up.jpg