• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

2015 FL B-Class

denwee

OIC.

Now that's troublesome, especially on the air circulation. Singapore has no place with good air anyway.

They should instead program if you let outside air in, after 30 mins car should automatically switch to internal circulation instead for fear you get carbon monoxide poisoning. Hahahahahaha

The motor show pre-launch price is close to 10k cheaper than what most Bros here have paid for their pre-FL W246. Ie. Very VFM.

The 8 inch LCD upgrade already worth 1k+. Then the nicer rear diffuser ...

Steering wheel leather ? I did not noticed.

Power wise .. Initially I complain a lot as my other ride has 240horses almost double the B180.

But after awhile .. it really seems ok once I get used to the throttle response.

In any case .. if power not enough ..

I have a racechip ultimate bought for my wife B-class. But she is not keen to install.

Anyone interested to take over .. pls pm me. Lehlong price ...

whats the lelong price for your racechip and brand........ 

Heard from other forums that the ECO mode will turn default on after starting car everytime, and that the air-circulation mode in car will also auto off after every 30 mins and will need to turn on again everytime.

Any brother / sister can confirm this?

oh my god... every 30min? this will be annoying... no other way around this?

Hi aboodoing

You also just bought the B180/B200 Style?

I think the way is that you should turn on the air-recirculation mode first before you turn on the aircon everytime you start the car. This will prevent the car from turning the mode off during your drive.

Not proven yet, as I have not collected mine, but that is the suggestion from other conti cars.

Hi aboodoing

You also just bought the B180/B200 Style?

I think the way is that you should turn on the air-recirculation mode first before you turn on the aircon everytime you start the car. This will prevent the car from turning the mode off during your drive.

Not proven yet, as I have not collected mine, but that is the suggestion from other conti cars.

This doesn't work. It's some safety feature thingy... anyways, 30mins is not fixed. Sometimes it goes off by itself at 10 mins and you get the whiff of the exhaust.... just enjoy pressing the buttons! :)

Silverkris, yea i just bought it during the motorshow.  They said the car will be ready in mar/apr.  What about you?

Never had this aircon issue before. Maybe its because i always leave it on recirc mode, but ill figure it out when the car comes. 

Oh yes, I booked mine during the period, but not at the motorshow itself though.

Actually, has read up a lot of reviews and the reviews tends to go to extremes on both ends, but I think that is because Merc B-class is in a class of its own, and hard to compare with others.

Some put it in the hatchback category: Comparing it with VW Golf, Ford Focus, even BMW 1 series. I can safely say that the handling and power will never match these cars, simply because B class is such a tall vehicle. That is where it will get its low points.

The other group put if under MPV category: Comparing with Peg 2008, Toyota Wish, Honda Stream. This will make the B-class more agile and flexible and gain high points, but the B-class should never be compared to these cars too.

Currently, I think only VW Touran (not even Sharan) and BMW 2 Sports Tourer can be compared to B class in Singapore. And the B-class should stand above VW in terms of reliability (nicer too), and below BMW 2 series in terms of drivability and costs (BMW 2 series at S$167K vs Merc B-class at S$158K).

I was actually thinking of spending on an A3 sedan though. But I am worried of the Audi brand due to they only rise up to the high premium category not too long ago.

• Like 1

You are right, Mercedes call the B-Class a "tourer". And that's what BMW call their 2 series. It is the same as R-Class, which is called the "grand tourer".

I think it is basically a sporty looking MPV :).

Good choice not getting the A3… Interior of any Audi can't compare with Merc. Merc interior is much more classy.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the actual FC of B-class? Am considering for my new ride but am worried on the FC as I need to travel to Tuas for work.

Though I have not take my car yet, but the B-class should be class leading in FC about 12 - 13km/l (on paper it says about 16-18km/l) provided you keep it in ECO mode.

B class very fuel economy since boh lut

I have been clocking arnd 8ltr/100km quite consistently with fair mix of highway/street

If u go to Tuas shld be spending more on highway.

Unless u ganna jam during peak hours u cld potentially even gets better FC.

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and yet to be a merc owner yet.   only going to test drive the b180 this weekend.   :D

bro Angchug, the FC you displayed is only achievable by driving at 70km/h on average and not 90km/h?  i'm just wondering if 14km/l (7l/100km) is achievable for a mix of city and highway.

FC on highway.

thanks for the reply.  but 75% highway meaning on average driving at 90 to 100km/h?  or gotta actively try to stay below 90?

when you test drive, you can go to the fuel consumption monitoring screen - from there you'll see the "instantaneous" fuel consumption of your driving.

--

as for your q:

it depends on how you drive - If you have to keep pressing your acceleration to maintain 90-100kmph vs staying below 90, then everytime you have to step that pedal your instantaneous fc increases.

but the instantaneous fuel consumption is only for that short period that i will be test driving.  it won't be an accurate reflection.  from what i had gathered earlier, owners of B180 have stated it at 10 to 12.5km/l on a per tank basis.  but my dad's older version of e250 seems to be able to achieve that as well.  so i was wondering why B180 is not a lot more efficient since its a 1.6 and the body is not as heavy.

when you test drive, you can go to the fuel consumption monitoring screen - from there you'll see the "instantaneous" fuel consumption of your driving.

--

as for your q:

it depends on how you drive - If you have to keep pressing your acceleration to maintain 90-100kmph vs staying below 90, then everytime you have to step that pedal your instantaneous fc increases.

but the instantaneous fuel consumption is only for that short period that i will be test driving.  it won't be an accurate reflection.  from what i had gathered earlier, owners of B180 have stated it at 10 to 12.5km/l on a per tank basis.  but my dad's older version of e250 seems to be able to achieve that as well.  so i was wondering why B180 is not a lot more efficient since its a 1.6 and the body is not as heavy.

because it's the simple basis of city vs cruise driving.

to put it in perspective of what it means:

fc is somewhat constant for almost all vehicle when not moving [therefore for some model there is eco mode, to reduce that "waiting" fc]

so what does that mean?

for city driving - fuel consumed on time far exceeds the distance covered. therefore fc is based more on time;

and as i had established earlier - fc based on time is somewhat constant for almost all vehicles.

eg. (figures are not exact) A person can take 20minutes just to cross from Bugis to Chinatown due to traffic (20mins to cover only 3km) 

1,500m - 600seconds ( t >>  distance )

while when u cruise drive - fuel consumed on distance exceeds that of time covered. therefore fc is based on the efficiency of ur vehicle;

and hence that depends on the efficiency of the vehicle.

eg. (figures are not exact) A person can cover 30km in 20mins on the AYE. (20mins to cover 30km)

1,500m - 60seconds 

15,000m - 600 seconds ( distance >> t )

Based on Singapore's traffic, you can never always be on cruise drive. For a typical drive, commuting time is a killer/crucial factor - the main-weight variables for fuel consumption will appear like city/town/heartland driving >>> cruise drive. 

[unless when you start driving, you can immediately enter the expressway, be on cruise control, and your destination is immediately after the exit - hence, time is "limited" for your entire drive]

Since almost all vehicles f.c. are somewhat constant on "time", therefore it doesn't matter how efficient your vehicle is - as long as you spend a lot of time in traffic like everyone else - your fuel consumption will likely be somewhat the same as everyone else.

However, that said. In the end, it depends on your driving pattern.

i hope that explains the concept properly.

B180dreamer,

It's impossible to keep a constant 90-100km/h in Sg's expressway, you'd probably rear end the car in front! I'd stick to the speed limit when possible coz i've already got 6pts for speeding 4mths ago!

To be specific, my best consumption is 670km for 48L of Esso 95 RON petrol and my worst is 630km for 48L of Esso 95 RON petrol.

Hope this helps...

thanks wzz for the very detailed explanation.  

and seamaster, those numbers are very good.  13 to 14km/l.  

perhaps the times i use my car are very off peak.  usually able to drive at around 80 to 100 on expressways on weekends.  on weekdays, my wife uses the car for school runs, that's all.  my current car has a mileage of 69k after 8 years+ despite 2 trips to ipoh.   :sleep: