• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Buying a used car direct from owner

If you buy a used car from a private owner, how do you know if he still has outstanding loans on his car?

In the old days, the finance company will keep the log card but these days there is no more log card.

If you give him a deposit, what happens if he later turns out to be a bankrupt or not the rightful owner?

Would like to hear from those of you who are experienced and knowledgeable in this area.

Giving a small deposit is less risk. You have heard of dealers that scam innocent car buyers of huge amount. Everything has risk.

So you have to ensure that seller is a decent guy and where he really stay. If those that can't tell you to meet his home and insist that you meet him at car parks, unable to produce NRIC and comes with all kinds of story, you better avoid.

Deposit usu 2-3k

Ask to see NRIC and note address on the paper form (downloadable from sgcarmart)

If he refuses and willing to just give u the $$$ .. haha I will just take it and spend it, change tel no ... lol .. who so stupid to do that w/o proof of payment

Got loan no loan now controlled at LTA. If LTA can allow him to trf to u .. it shld be ok

Ever got one guy tell me go LTA trf liao then he go bank w me. I tell him go FS ... am I xiao or wat. Want, u bring cashier order let me see first. All ok then I transfer. If not then forget it.

Be careful and use common sense, not to be paranoid but exercise caution.

• Like 3

Haha ... u can contact me to act as your middleman .. just some very simple forms to fill ... $200 can liao ... lol

Seriously .. if loan is involved, a bank representative will be present during the transfer as they will want to protect the bank interest as well

• Like 1

Lolz ask the seller print out the log card from onemotoring then go to LTA transfer the name then handover your cashier order will do.

I agreed to buy this car from a private seller. He insisted that I paid him in full before he would sign the transfer form and hand me the IC. Fair enough but I was worried there might be outstanding car loan so I suggested that we go to LTA together. He said he was too busy for that.

Actually, I never felt good dealing with him so I decided not to buy.

I later found out that if LTA can transfer the title, it means there is no outstanding loan.

But I think LTA will not tell you if you simply enquire at the counter.

I need to do more research here. At the moment, based on my inexperience in this matter, I think it can be quite a bit of a hassle to buy private.

Call me,  I check for you .......

Can provide you info

Got Loan ?

Which bank ?

But might charge a fee if I am not in good mood ......................

I agreed to buy this car from a private seller. He insisted that I paid him in full before he would sign the transfer form and hand me the IC. Fair enough but I was worried there might be outstanding car loan so I suggested that we go to LTA together. He said he was too busy for that.

Actually, I never felt good dealing with him so I decided not to buy.

I later found out that if LTA can transfer the title, it means there is no outstanding loan.

But I think LTA will not tell you if you simply enquire at the counter.

I need to do more research here. At the moment, based on my inexperience in this matter, I think it can be quite a bit of a hassle to buy private.

Based on your description he's 'too busy' to go LTA but 'not busy' to collect money first... It is surely an alarm bell ringing.. At least to me..

Good to back out from this kind of direct owners.  Being a pte seller, it is already difficult enough to find a buyer without trade-in. Since he made things difficult, then let it be. Sure cannot sell and eventually sell to dealer for much less.

Take a look at his NRIC , once you sure is he himself , log in to onemotoring and check if he is the register owner with the link below by just key in car nos , NRIC nos and a date which is a week later , if data appear meaning he is the register owner , if data not founf or didn't match ........ turn and run ......! :sword:  :sword:  :sword: https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=EnquireRebateBeforeDeRegOnce clarify , write him a deposit of $1k cheque with his name and NRIC nos , at the back state is a deposit for the car nos , take a photo of the cheque ...... But my best advise is , buy from a dealer , bring cash or C/O when take delivery than ask to E transfer to your name immediately .

Hi Randy, that will mean he is the registered owner of the car but does that confirm that there is no outstanding loan?  That is my main concern.

If after paying him in full even with a Cashier's Order, I then go to LTA with his IC and then find that I cannot transfer because there is an outstanding loan and then he refuses to return my CO?  That will mean major headache already.  Make police report? Sue him? And you cannot cancel a CO.

Nevertheless, I am trying to find out the proper procedure in case I find another car to buy privately.  As for this guy, I am no longer interested in buying his car.

My idea of buying from a private seller is that I pay slightly less than dealer's price and he gets more than what dealer will pay him so it is a win-win but it did not happen so no worries.

You prepare the cashiers order. .. meet at LTA.... If can transfer the u pass him thr cheque... If can't. .. pop it back into your account. .. no big deal.... I do take note it takes 2 working days for the system to reflect when he fully paid the loan...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

One more thing I am embarrassed to tell you is that he did not allow me to test drive the car!

Many of you will say, "So how to buy the car if you cannot test drive it?"

He told me he will take me for a drive but I can only drive once I have agreed to buy.

I had a look around the car, it looked OK, engine sounded OK, the ride was OK.  I took a major risk and agreed to buy as it was fairly low mileage and did appear to be quite good.  Basically the seller was just super 'cat' to deal with.

So actually, with hindsight, I am glad I didn't buy it.

• Like 2

One more thing I am embarrassed to tell you is that he did not allow me to test drive the car!

Many of you will say, "So how to buy the car if you cannot test drive it?"

He told me he will take me for a drive but I can only drive once I have agreed to buy.

I had a look around the car, it looked OK, engine sounded OK, the ride was OK.  I took a major risk and agreed to buy as it was fairly low mileage and did appear to be quite good.  Basically the seller was just super 'cat' to deal with.

So actually, with hindsight, I am glad I didn't buy it.

Good on you that you walked away. Simply just too many alarms for my liking.

• Like 2

What make you think buying from a pte owner is cheaper ??? Those pte seller who know how to goes about to advertise his sale are mostly as smart as dealer ...... Pro : Cheaper in pricing ..... Con : Risk , 1) you cant cfm is he the lawful owner ? 2) Cannot test drive 3) Risk you money if later you found out he is not the owner after paying him 4) You are not protected if you bought a lemon . But ...... sorry to say huh , you want buy cheaper but afraid of being conned and again buying from dealer you cant swallow the dealer make some money from you .................. Left with 2 option Buy from owner which you personally know last option Don't Buy and sleep in peace . btw , what car are you buying ? which model ? which year ? How much ? Maybe I have friends selling than I can act as centre man and witness all transaction ..... but I charge .

Dat CBK damn GL

Lucky he no meet me

Pearl .. u are an angel

But honestly ..

Imo buying from a direct seller has to be a win-win situation.

I hope this don't put direct buyers off .. as with some preparation and awareness, risks can be mitigated.

But if really meet such idiots then mai waste time and walk off ... theirs plenty mah

I have buy/sell direct several times before, as I always believe in value of money .. we need to have the acumen to size the party up .. boh is liao kang kum lan only

My last sale to a direct buyer .. i convert him from ai mai to gian then .. he chase me to sign the dotted lines. But at the end I gave him all my mods despite I hv the opportunity/offer to dekit them ... its a 识英雄重英雄 transaction at the end

I sell all my rides myself too... only once to dealer cos he offer a deal I cannot reject... It's always a hassle with the paperwork... but then again... I was lucky not to have met Askholes....

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Lol... he gave me almost what I had wanted.... less a few hundred bucks... No hassle.... No Low ball.... So give him what he wanted... and he gave me peace of mind....