• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Buying a used car direct from owner

What make you think buying from a pte owner is cheaper ??? Those pte seller who know how to goes about to advertise his sale are mostly as smart as dealer ...... Pro : Cheaper in pricing ..... Con : Risk , 1) you cant cfm is he the lawful owner ? 2) Cannot test drive 3) Risk you money if later you found out he is not the owner after paying him 4) You are not protected if you bought a lemon . But ...... sorry to say huh , you want buy cheaper but afraid of being conned and again buying from dealer you cant swallow the dealer make some money from you .................. Left with 2 option Buy from owner which you personally know last option Don't Buy and sleep in peace . btw , what car are you buying ? which model ? which year ? How much ? Maybe I have friends selling than I can act as centre man and witness all transaction ..... but I charge .

Randy, are you a car dealer?  How much do you plan to charge in such a case?

denwee, you and I are on the same page as far as buying from a private seller is concerned.

I have only bought directly from private sellers perhaps twice, the last time was perhaps almost a decade ago from an angmo expat who was leaving the country.  After that I have simply bought new because trading-in a used car means you get 'over-trade', a kind of discount on the new car price. 

Buying a car direct from a friend is usually difficult because that friend will get a higher price when he trades in his car, due to the over-trade.

Those who sell privately are usually those who no longer wants another car, selling off an extra car or an expat leaving.

Whether I can swallow or not the dealer making some money from me is not the issue here in this thread.

Here in this thread I am trying to gather more info, insights and experience about buying direct from owner-sellers.  As denwee said, there is a win-win situation here.  And buying cheaper doesn't mean having to take unnecessary risk of being conned.  We try to be as prepared as much as possible.  Knowledge is power.

• 4 weeks later...

An alternate view to the "no test drive till confirm buying" thing... Probably this chap has met his fair share of jokers just looking to have a joyride fun ride. Then don't buy. Damn alot nowadays especially if your car is towards the sports type.

Just to share my experience...

Last week just bought a car direct from owner, after asking some dealer to help with paper work and they are asking between $300-$500/-.

Another friend recommend me to go through SGcarmart and was surprise that they can help with all the paperwork free. ( provided you take loan from them, which I took DBS) They act as a middleman for both buyer and seller, which give me a peace of mind.

All forms can be downloaded at the website. Eg Invoice, testing car etc etc.

No hard trying.