Hi, visited Uncle Tony (Trendy Auto) today. He and Ah Teck (1st mechanic) were very meticulous in diagnosing the undercarriage noise. Conducted 3 test run (at driver seat, at passenger seat and at back seat) over uneven road in order to pinpoint the noise. Narrowed down to front left section. Dismantled the lower control arm, thrust arm and stabiliser bar. Inspected the joints and brushes. All found normal. During re-assembling, they applied a copper-coloured coating (appeared like liquid latex) on all the major bolts, screws and brushes as an anti-friction protection (most mechanics can't be bothered with such task). Eventually, nailed down to the front left suspension struts. He dismantled (very tedious task) the struts. Opened up the dust cover and big-O-rings. Use WD-40 and compressed air to clean up the dirt and oiled the internal rods. From my past experience, no workshop was willing to open up and oiled/clean the strut interior (see attached photo). Most will insist you to buy a new pair (not just the faulty unit) - taking the easy and most profitable way out but burned a big holes in customer's wallet.
Bottom line, instead of paying for 1 pair of new front strut , 1 air pump and 1 block value for a quote close to $4k by another workshop, I gladfully paid $320 for his team's 5 hrs of workmanship.
Once again, I must thanks member RX7EFFINI for his recommendation. I was tempted to keep good things to myself, as a secret !!! There again, nowadays we are living in an 'information sharing' society and obliged to share the good. Besides, it is a gem discovering honest and experienced mechanics who doesn't take the easy way out and do take pride in repairing stuff. Why replace where you can repair,,,the strut will now be good for another 25-30kkms. In our 'disposal-whatever' society, repair has increasingly becomes a dying word
Have a good weekend...cheers...mike
Like they said...happy like a toad. Saved myself a couple of thousands
) Fuel tank cap with cord(replacement if yours is broken - fit for W204-Kompressor or 7G) - $20
2) Used Philips H7 light bulb(W204) - $10
3) Customized specially cut-to-size dust-trap mat for W204 (Kompressor and 7G)boot - prevent spillage, trap dirt and provide a little sound-proofing as well - $40
4) Thinkware F750 in-car camera(front & back) SEALED & UNUSED - $520 or ONO : Best protection for your Investment/Asset!
More information here:
7) One set(6pcs) brand new customized magnetic sunshade for W205 : $70
8) One pc custom made/fit rear-wind screen sunshade for W204(Kompressor and 7G can use): $38
9) Garmin portable GPS (just service and replaced battery recently) as good as new in original box and accessories - $88
10) Curtain for centre console drink area(For W204 Kompressor /7G) : $80
11) Original Mercedes(W204) Triangle safety breakdown sign : $15
First-come-first-get. Interested SMS 96834031 to confirm