• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

To get a 91/92 W124 or not ?...expensive to maintain ?? *arrgg*

Guest strepsils88

Guest Ody_2004

Its really an excellent classic choice I guess. ;)

"...Possibly represented the pinnacle of road-going automotive technology at its time, incorporating innovations that were praised by the entire motoring press..."

1. For the exterior, is there any way it can be polished to shine like a sparking new car ? ...got pic as proof ? =p

2. guess its dumb, but is there any way to find full chrome handle that replaces the orig rubber handles ?

3. What is the avg cost of a service if I intend to do it every 5km ?

4. Does petrol 92 or 95 matters ? ...and good synthetic oils are a waste or booster ?

To all the benz experts, thanks again for sharing -)

With my limited knowledge i try to answer.

1) Unless u get a used car with relatively good paint, if not u need a respray. I did my external respray for $1300. Do note most of the W124 had in a way been resprayed esp the bonnet, roof and boot. Common area for paint fading.

2. Aftermarket part for dressing up aplenty.

3) If mineral oil I guess in the region of $100 plus. If synthetic will be close to $200. I assuming normal oil change, filter blowing clean and maybe spark plugs. Major servicing will be much more.. I done mine at abt $500.

4) some say 92 can but for me I using 98, can't tell the difference. BUT if FC is a factor i will say stay away from this 2 tonne monster! U cannot compare to Japanese make for sure!!

PS : If u need me to go car hunting with u give me a PM. I now in Germany (Home of the Merc! hee.. ) be back this weekend.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strepsils88

Hi guys,

For W124 "jekiness"...how much is the labour cost for replacing engine & gear mounts ?

Also, will this smoothen the ride, which currently seems to "thrust a little forward" when changing gears, not having a smooth transition..

Many thanks again -)

Guest strepsils88

oppps... always wanted to ask this - can a W124 16V tolerate cheap synthetic oils (like Carlube) found in carrefour ?

Really, is there any value added for Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic for this old classic car ?

Guest Ody_2004

Hi guys,

For W124 "jekiness"...how much is the labour cost for replacing engine & gear mounts ?

Also, will this smoothen the ride, which currently seems to "thrust a little forward" when changing gears, not having a smooth transition..

Many thanks again -)

U bought the car? If so send it to your mechanic for a quote.

My experience is if the car jerk when changing gear it can be solved by changing the transmission oil, filter and some tunning (yes this can be done!)

Guest millionmilebenz

oppps... always wanted to ask this - can a W124 16V tolerate cheap synthetic oils (like Carlube) found in carrefour ?

Really, is there any value added for Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic for this old classic car ?

Hi Strepsils! This is a contentious subject and I think there are many opinions out there. I've also tried to look into this in the past and I could never find a definitive answer. But, all the mechanics I've talked to recommend using a heavier oil for the older Merc engines for better protection. I would choose an oil that is rated at least 15W. I've experimented with other oils but now use only Mobil 1 15W50 for both the W124 and W126.

Hope this helps!

Cheers...

P.S: any experts out there who can shed more light on this topic?

Guest millionmilebenz

BTW, some also recommend using mineral oil and having changing every 5000 km. If you don't mind the more frequent servicing then this is also an economical option too.

• 9 months later...
Guest angela

My averaged cost of running a E200 W124 (90's vintage) is S$800-1,000 p.m. inclusive of petrol, insurance, tax, ERP (one trip downtown to inner-CBD a day and back), road tax AND appx 4-mth interval servicing and the odd repairs.

Admittedly, my wholeday parking is borne by my employer. If you have to pay for downtown central CBD season parking, add another S$350.

My parents are right - ''Son,'' they used to say, ''always buy quality if you can help it. If you can't afford quality, then become aware of the inevitable compromise you'll suffer and make an informed decision.''