• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

To get a 91/92 W124 or not ?...expensive to maintain ?? *arrgg*

Guest strepsils88

Guest strepsils88

Hi fellow Benz brothers,

I am totally confused whether to change my ride to a new Jap car or an old W124 which I fancy for its german build but afraid if its expensive to maintain. --> Almost signned on the dotted line...

Appreciate if you can guide me in terms of cost, some homework I've done....

1) How to tell the old W124 is good ? I'd use STA evaulation service abt $100... Assume most expensive chg is $2K for gear box, 1k for engine, 500 for shock ?

2) Insurance : 3rd party only, < $1000 for 30-35yr no NCD ?

3) Servicing package : i will send every 10km, what's the avg cost for synthetic in MBM ??

This STAR seems a bit ex : http://www.star.com.sg/PackageABC.pdf

Most people say W124s are too ex to maintain and not worth the cost/effort compared to a new Jap car...I have a tendency to debunk this myth as long as there is expert knowledge out there to share.. =p

Been struggling blindly these days, can some angels enlighten me abt the true maintenance costs ?

Thks a mil !

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ody_2004

http://forum.onemotoring.com.sg/mvnforum/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1888

http://forum.onemotoring.com.sg/mvnforum/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=623

I driving one 93 W124. Unless you get a really looked after car if not you may easily need 3k to do it up. Alot of workshop car do the repair; just how much they charged. Parts are still easily available and lots of OEM parts for replacement.

Once that is done yr baby will ride better than a jap car (not those high end one of cos). You may be surprise the W124 ride smoother n quieter than most entry level jap car. Even my one yr old Toyota Previa cannot fight.

Most people say W124s are too ex to maintain and not worth the cost/effort compared to a new Jap car...I have a tendency to debunk this myth as long as there is expert knowledge out there to share.. =p

FC wise you may have an argument there but other than that, build quality and reliability = no fight. Thoroughly over-engineered.

My '91 8v returns 420km per tank in plenty of start stop traffic.

Things to look out for - rear CV units may emit a humming sound, gearbox.

I don't use synthetic oil because it is too thin and tends to 'burn out' quicker than mineral oil.

Guest strepsils88

Thx dial911,

Managed to test a few W124s and rounded down to a 16V ride with < 200k milleage, only issue was the accelerator was a little "hard" to press on... :D

The dealer mentioned "can be adjusted in workshop before purchase"...is it possible ??

Cheers,

Guest strepsils88

thks keltanky,

means gotta press harder than other models tested for the same increase in speed...

yes, can feel e power even in this coe car

:)

1) so thehardness can adjust ?

2) howto test for overheating + gear slowness + shocks ?

thks a mil !

Guest Ody_2004

thks keltanky,

means gotta press harder than other models tested for the same increase in speed...

yes, can feel e power even in this coe car

:)

1) so thehardness can adjust ?

2) howto test for overheating + gear slowness + shocks ?

thks a mil !

mine a 16 valve. I din bother to monitor my FC; just enjoying the drive.

I spend near to 3k on lots of wear n tear replacement. Bushing and mounting, pulley seal, knuchkles, coupling, water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter.. Too much to list here.

When I got my W124 my accelerator was oso hard and slow to move. Went to a workshop they readjust and much better. However the accelerator cable soon give way. Replaced one and the feeling was much lighter. Suggest you replace this cable as it will leave you helpless on road once it break.

For peace of mind i suggest you overhual the cooiling system for the engine. Most hoses should be crack at this age. My observation is MERC plastic and rubber parts sucks in our climate. I replace my water pump, water thermostat and all hoses.

Importantly you need a good meachanic that don chop carrot. Do note that the engine oil is 6 litres and transmission oil is 8 litres. These oil itself cost a big sum of $$.

Happy hunting for your W124.

Guest mr w124

Hi. Just to add my 2 cents worth. been driving my '92 8v for abt 4 months now. excellent car. Especially the way it floats over the humps.

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know where i can get a rearview mirror for the w124. mine has cracked. Thanks.

p.s. Change your engine mounts... the car would feel much better after that

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know where i can get a rearview mirror for the w124. mine has cracked. Thanks.

Propel should have one. They are a well known Mercedes yard in Sungei Kadut area.

Alternatively, just grab one of those Japanese Broadway mirrors and clip it over the old one.

Guest mr w124

Propel should have one. They are a well known Mercedes yard in Sungei Kadut area.

Alternatively, just grab one of those Japanese Broadway mirrors and clip it over the old one.

How much would it roughly cost?

Guest Ody_2004

dear ody_2004,

thx for your advice...sure sounds like lots of overhaul to do =p

can u recommend me your workshop ?

Thks a mil !

My workshop : Zen Motor located in kakit bukit Rd 3; Look for Ah Hui

BTW which dealer you are buying from? Alot of dealer using this workshop.

Guest benzw124

Just did a few repairs on the w124 a few months ago.

Bilstein comfort shocks were about $280 from an independent parts supplier. Installation was about $80. Go for the Bilstein ones as they are the recommended ones from Mercedes. The aircon evaporator was about $650 parts plus labour. Try to get the brass or SS ones as they supposedly last longer than the oem aluminium ones. Took about an entire day to complete due to the fact that they had to tear out the entire dash to get to it. It was entirely caked with dust when they took it out. The front and rear flex disks were also changed and this has greatly improved the shifting of the transmission. Flexdisks were really cheap: front was about 30 bucks and rear was 50 if i remembered correctly.

Everything was done at the mechanic located at the Shell petrol kiosk opposite Autobahn motors. They are quite experienced from the cars i see being serviced there, from old Rolls Royces to new Ferraris even. The boss himself used to own a 190E. Overall the car provides quality and safe motoring at a very cheap price. However it also depends on what you are looking for. 15 year old cars definitely have their problems when compared to a brand new japanese car. You have to spend a few months repairing all the problems whereas with a brand new japanese car, you can use it with no worries for at least 2-3 years.

Yet the w124 is still a car id recommend to anybody. The MB tex interior is indestructible and very comfortable. The car is amazingly silent even at very high speeds. The M102 engine is extremely reliable as well. The bottom half of the engine is almost indestructible unless u run it dry without any oil. Hence overhauling the car usually requires just a change of the head gaskets together with the timing chain and guides. However, they tend to get louder as they wear and this cannot be helped even after an overhaul. As recommended by other forums members, the radiator does need to be changed as the OEM ones from mercedes tend to break off at the neck where the hose attaches. However as the car is already more than 10 years old, it is very likely that the previous owners have changed it already.

Looking for a good one is not that difficult due to the fact that there are tons in the secondhand market. When you go and see one, look out for signs of past accidents. Slam all the doors and make sure they close properly and with a loud thud. Peel back the carpets in the boot and look under the spare tire to check for any signs of repair. Do the same for the front and make sure the chassis is nice and straight. After inspecting all the cosmetics, check the engine dip stick and smell the oil. There should be no burnt or rotten egg smell coming from it. Also check that it is at the correct indicated level. Look for signs of overheating around the engine bay. Residual coolant all over the foam insulation on the bonnet is one of them. Maiyonaise like substance in the engine oil is also another one if you are daring enough to open it as that indicates a blown head gasket. Make sure the radiator is not leaking and the pipes are not bloated at any point.

The next step would be to start the engine. It should start right up on the first crank without any hesitation. The car should not have any squeaking or whining coming from the engine or any other strange noises for that matter. The car should idle at around 850rpm and should be abit lower with the air conditioning turned on. Rev the car a few times and make sure that no white smoke comes out of the exhaust. Also make sure there is no rattling sound as that might mean a leaking exhaust manifold or a damaged fuel pump. Neither are expensive to replace though.

Now get in the car and step on the brake pedal. Shift the transmission through all the gears(PNRD) and make sure each gear change only takes a split second. There should be no delays and no clunking. Now take the car for a test drive! Make sure the gear changes smoothly with minimal jerkings and no clunking sounds. You should have 2 upshifts only as the w124 starts in second and not in first unless you engage the kickdown. Try and go over some humps and make sure there is no bottoming out when you go over them as that would mean worn shocks.

When you have finally parked the car back at the dealership, check the transmission dipstick, it should indicate the correct level as indicated. Next check all the electronics and make sure they are all working. Non working power windows are usually caused by spoilt switches that can be fixed very easily by yourself. I did it on my car in only a few minutes with some contact cleaner and a screw driver.

When you are finally satisfied with the car, negotiate the price with the dealer. There is not such thing as kick-ball money(Hokkien) anymore and documentation fees should not be more than 200 bucks.(Even then its very high, considering that they are already making from the car itself). Most importantly, take your time to look for a good car and do not rush. You will be rewarded with one of the best cars that mercedes has ever built.

Guest strepsils88

hi Benz W124,

You speak words of wisdom in brilliant english with a tint of Hokkein. :)

How I wish I had the chance to read this before my purchase !

Am now pondering what to fix internally, regardless of whether its worn out on the 14yr machine....Looks like I cant do away with

1) Bilstein shocks (where is ure supplier ?)

2) Air con evaporator (for safe breathing ?)

3) Flex discs

4) engine overhaul

5) wear & tear parts workshop recommend

My main concern was the accelerator was quite hard to press, compared w/ other W124 test drove, but once depressed, i can feel the power of the benz...

Any other items i can change to ensure a smoother ride than a Jap make ?

Thks a mil !

Just did a few repairs on the w124 a few months ago.

When you are finally satisfied with the car, negotiate the price with the dealer. There is not such thing as kick-ball money(Hokkien) anymore and documentation fees should not be more than 200 bucks.(Even then its very high, considering that they are already making from the car itself). Most importantly, take your time to look for a good car and do not rush. You will be rewarded with one of the best cars that mercedes has ever built.

Bro, I salute you. Very detailed. Need more of this kind of explaination. After reading it, really thinking hard to get it as a 2nd car. Kudos.

Cheers,

SY

Guest benzw124

Hi!

i got all my parts from Gallop Autoparts except for the aircon evaporator. http://www.gallopauto.com/default.asp

They carry most mechanical parts for almost all the continental cars and i thought that they were quite cheap. I am in no way affiliated to them and if someone else has a cheaper place to recommend, then by all means go ahead. I would definitely like to know too.

The air con evaporator had to be replaced due to the fact that it was leaking. The aircon could only hold a coolant charge for around 2 weeks before it started to blow out hot air again, hence we had to change it. If yours is working fine then thats okay.

As for the accelerator, maybe you would like to ask your mechanic to take a look at the throttle cable. It may have come loose after all the years of usage. However, I don't think you can expect much from this car in terms of power and accleration from a stop. The engine barely had a hundred HP when it was new and after 14 years, the chances of it being reduced is very high. Coupled with the weight of the car, the W124 is pretty slow when moving off from traffic lights.

I highly recommend the workshop in the Shell petrol kiosk opposite Autobahn motors. I think they are called Bee Leong Motorworks but i can't remember the telephone number. Normal servicing for the car was around $130 inclusive of labour at that place. Just drive in and look for the mechanics in the workshop behind. They would be more than happy to service your car. I suggest that you go there early in the morning though as they tend to be very busy later in the day. Try and service the car at 5k km intervals as it really makes a difference after the service.

Hi, I have been driving the W124 for almost 8 months and counting now.

Spent a lot on the air con about 1.5k; It just wouldm't quite cut it. Everything including the evaporator has been changed out. The hoses and 2nd compressor in 8 months.

You can say its too much, but it happened in phases. It just kept leaking. My advise is to have the a/c checked out by your trusted mec before purchasing.

Its the single most troublesome equipment on board.

You will find that the NON-3 pointed star items gives the most trouble.

My advice is that don't plan your repair now. Drive it and only repair those that you find unbearable. You certainly don't need an engine/tranny overhaul every other day. Those things are built to last and when its gone, you will know it. Its a 15++ years car. Everything that's original will look/feel/ and is old. We can't deny it. But if you like it, you will like it for what its like and not what it could have been.

I bought it without trying ANY other car. Its the first car I test drove and bought on the spot after my license. I wouldn't trade it for a rice burner. Not going to tell you why. But cheap running costs/Fuel economy/new gadgets/fast pickup aren't going to be the reasons why you would choose it over a new altis. Because it was never meant to be fast/fuel saving/full of new gadgets.

Over engineered it was when compared to old cars of that era. but its got something that you can't find in new cars nowadays. Its simplicity and indestructible body and classless look.

Lastly buy it only if you smile when you see yourself in it. Its a very personal pleasure I would describe. An acquired taste.

Thanks and of course I'm poisoned.

Just to add:

The heavy throttle has been designed that way. We have been named the lead footed. Not exactly heavy but rather smooth pickup and not the seat belt tightening g force of rice burners. If you like the pull, get the 500e with the v8, there shouldn't be many around.

Suspension is divided into coil and shock for the 124 chassis. my vin 124021.

Not all shocks are bad when you get an old car. It could be the spring which is bad like my case. Shortened spring. the shock absorbers function normally.

Analyze and restore it if you can appreciate it. If its too troublesome, maybe a newer merc is more worthy for you.

That's my feel. I'm just a new driver for all you know.

Guest strepsils88

yeah, the throttle is bit heavy initially after linggering on to a Jap ride for years... =p

Test driving this classic car elevates my emotions and yes, "feels good".

Only issue is that, I may hear other opinions in the background saying a new Jap ride is better than a old 15 yr old car ?

Any new car from the factory will always feel good. Everything is oiled and and fitted to perfection in the factory. QC was just done and all rubbers are new and nice smelling. Even the exhaust is chrome and you can see your smile on it.

It doesn't have to be a new Jap car. Even a new china car will feel good when it's just out of the factory.

Well... Its not meant to be a car to be compared after 15 years. The only thing that can be said is that it remains on our roads after so many years.

What thrills me still:

The extremely heavy steering

The extremely heavy door

The loud engine but not exactly fast

The single arm wiper which is technologically advanced in every aspect until now

The heated mirrors and washer reservoir

MBtex that doesn't look as old as leather

Chassis which was rust proof forever. Minor rust spots on doors under weather seals.

BIG interior and boot. Not sure why but I always have 5 person sitting being in the rear.

The chassis sinks before you do on a dip.

No one envies you until they see how you enjoy it

The forever not as cold air con

Haha.... Sad thing is I could never get angry enough to scrap. And its even got a name. Silver old grumpy.

If you need to give yourself a reason to buy it, then don't... It may not be to your liking.

The W140 is the next closest thing to heaven in my opinion.

Guest Ody_2004

Only issue is that, I may hear other opinions in the background saying a new Jap ride is better than a old 15 yr old car ?

Bro, for peace of mind get a brand new jap car.

Not saying W124 is bad, as I am driving one! hee.. but you really need to know and be interested in car to maintain it. You can see many good example running around. If you wish can take a look at mine.

Guest millionmilebenz

Alamak, didn't realize I've been missing this excellent thread!

Ody_2004 ]

My workshop : Zen Motor located in kakit bukit Rd 3 wrote:

I second this recommendation! They know the "classic" Benz (don't need to use "older" lah!) inside out and they often suggest less expensive alternative solutions.

BenzW124 ]

I highly recommend the workshop in the Shell petrol kiosk opposite Autobahn motors. I think they are called Bee Leong Motorworks but i can' wrote:

Yes, I use this shop also, boss to look for is Ah-Kee (Tel: 6256-1512). An honest chap who has worked on classic Benz for a long time. There is also a shop right next to the mechanic and the boss there is Ah-Chong. He deals with the electronics, which is a common problem area, and refitting of vintage examples. You'll frequently see classic Roll Royce and Ferrari as well as really old Mercs in his area.

While Ah-Kee is an excellent mechanic, I do think that he is not as sharp in diagnosing some less common problems as Zen Motors. That said, he is still a great choice for routine maintanence jobs and standard repairs/replacements.

For non-standard problems that really boggles you, bring to both mechanics to have them look at it and quote you. They are all nice fellas, they won't mind.

BenzW124 ]

You will be rewarded with one of the best cars that mercedes has ever built.

An excellent post! Kelvin - can I nominate this post and the other great points brought up by other members to be kept as a sticky so that future W124 and older Merc hunters can reference easily.

My main concern was the accelerator was quite hard to press, compared w/ other W124 test drove, but once depressed, i can feel the power of the benz...

Any other items i can change to ensure a smoother ride than a Jap make ?

As others have said, the robustness of this car is part of the German DNA. You' wrote:

To help you answer to those who pester you about "why not buy a Camry or Altis?", I have one word for you - "Gestalt".

The word can be used to describe how a central trait in a culture will show up in all aspects of the things produced by that culture or people. German cars, especially classic high-end models, are built like their castles - like a ROCK, but still well-refined. No nonsense, functional, and tough to break (and yes, it goes right down to the feel of the gas pedal). Japanese, on the other hand, are silky smooth and economical but they are not as long-lasting, mainly because they are not designed to be that way. Just look at their traditional wooden houses with paper-walls. You may say Jap houses are no longer built that way but it's undeniable that the way of thinking behind it is still in the Japanese DNA. It all depends on what you're you want. If you're from the older generation, you'll remember a time when "Japanese goods" have a negative connotation because they don't last. But nowadays Japanese goods are tops, perhaps something to do with the prevailing "use-and-throw" mentality? ::)

BTW, "Gestalt" is a German word. ;)

Happy driving!

Guest strepsils88

Its really an excellent classic choice I guess. ;)

"...Possibly represented the pinnacle of road-going automotive technology at its time, incorporating innovations that were praised by the entire motoring press..."

1. For the exterior, is there any way it can be polished to shine like a sparking new car ? ...got pic as proof ? =p

2. guess its dumb, but is there any way to find full chrome handle that replaces the orig rubber handles ?

3. What is the avg cost of a service if I intend to do it every 5km ?

4. Does petrol 92 or 95 matters ? ...and good synthetic oils are a waste or booster ?

To all the benz experts, thanks again for sharing -)