• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Running in your engine - Mandatory?

Guest stealth123

Guest stealth123

The Merc manuals say that we should run in the SLK engine for the first 1500km.

just checking in with you - did you guys do this?... and what does run-in mean to you anyway - not revving above 4000rpm?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest morganoh

u will get both ans,

Some said no need , some said must.

Ask yourself can u control your foot for 10-15 days? or maybe 1mth?

If yes, why not drive leisurely for 1mth and try not to rev above 4000rpm?

For that u will be sure that no harm will be created (if a RUN in is required)

Even if its not required, u are only putting in abit of effort (by controlling your acceleration for 1mth)

if u ask me I will take the effort for 1mth, cos my car is definitely going to stay with me for at least 3-5yrs.

if u change your car yearly, maybe u do not need to care about engine damage.

Guest redhood

Yes, precautionary is a good word. It is to avoid hearing the question, "Oh, why didn't u run in the engine first? It's in the manual, right? Duh?" haha! Safety first bro! Once u've endured those difficult miles, u can be assured ofamanday pleasurable ones to follow.

Guest sociex

it's been almost 2 months now and I haven't even done 1500 km yet...

i've yet to put the pedal to the metal, and i do try very hard not to rev above 4000 rpm for more than a couple of seconds (requires a bit of discipline haha). but hey, i'm sure they put the instructions for running in the engine in the owner's manual for a reason :)

Guest Sareve

Wow! Why do you guys take so long to cover such short distances? Don't you use your SLKs as daily drivers? I've done over 3000km in the 2 weeks I've been back.

Guest SgLaKsa

Wow! Why do you guys take so long to cover such short distances? Don't you use your SLKs as daily drivers? I've done over 3000km in the 2 weeks I've been back.

You training for the coming F1 huh?

Guest Sareve

You training for the coming F1 huh?

Haha yes, and lots of night drives + a trip to Malacca.

Guest stealth123

finally got my car today.... and went for a spin...

Guess what happened??! - Someone in a motorbike came by and hit the side window... :( On my first 30 minutes of having the car... :( *cry*

Guest redhood

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. Feel for you man! I hope you are fine. What's the damage? Was it the window or mirror? Just the mirror or were there scratches on the bodywork as well? I hope not too serious.

Guest ACSLK

Should be 123.........

maybe can buy the time as well...........

really hope he is doing fine..........not having any emotion break down..................

cheer up stealth123...............

:rockon:

Guest stealth123

ha ha...

ok ok - i'm ok. :) it was a knock on the side mirror.. so there is a *small* line on the mirror frame.

i gave the guy the most evil look - he returned with a very apologetic look. Din want to make it a fuss la - it was an accident after all.

lucky i was still in that "high" mood - with the new car and all... if it happened next week - things might turn out a little different... :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

heh.... :)

Guest toycarz

finally got my car today.... and went for a spin...

Guess what happened??! - Someone in a motorbike came by and hit the side window... :( On my first 30 minutes of having the car... :( *cry*

Ouch that is painful :banghead: I also had similar experience for my first new car, 2nd day only, I hit a cone near the roadworks area and broke my left side mirror.... all because of a stupid cab who refused to give way to me with P plate! From that day on, all cabs are my enemy... :swduel:..except for those days tt I don't have a car :tongue1:

Guest ACSLK

Hi Roy,

yes cab.....(very lousy driver) i think some of them drink and drive cause when i am on the road (the cab) they just can't seems to keep to their lane suddenly can just swerve out of their lane............................

scary................... :death:

Wow...that was harsh.

Most importantly is not big accident and both driver & passengers are all right.

Acslk, same here about the sentiments for cab drivers. Too many bad experiences with them but as my friend told me, try to be more forgiving as they are making a living. Just hope they can plan and be aware of their surroundings especially lane alignment (drive in centre of dotted line :banghead: )