• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Engine Knocking - Need to use 98?

ping911

My car is 2 years old and done 60k so far. I noticed that there is engine knocking especially when the engine is cold, or if going up slope and I am not revving the engine hard. When I reported the problem to the C&C Service Consultant, he said that I should use 98 once in a while. Is that really needed? Do you guys need to fill up 98 once in a while as well??

7 hours ago, ping911 said:

My car is 2 years old and done 60k so far. I noticed that there is engine knocking especially when the engine is cold, or if going up slope and I am not revving the engine hard. When I reported the problem to the C&C Service Consultant, he said that I should use 98 once in a while. Is that really needed? Do you guys need to fill up 98 once in a while as well??

I've being using Shell 95 for a long time even my previous near 8 years old stock W212 which clocked near to 200k km

Other than my 1st C Class W203 which I did performance mod, I don't use 98 other than across the border Shell 97.

Think you should go to a "reliable" WS to check the pinking

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 2 months later...

C180, 7G, turbo, 2013. This was discovered when my cylinder were not firing properly and found the fault to be one of the spark plugs. the ECU also captured pinging in the fault code occasional but NO check light during the ecu scan. My workshop advised me to pump 98 once in a while.