• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

"Drive Carefully"

Hi folks! Need some help here ... 

I'm driving a 2012 W212 E250, and there's this "Drive Carefully." female voice alert that comes on every now and then.  

I dont know what it is, why it comes up, nor how to stop it.    I have read the bloomin' car manual almost end-to-end but cannot find anything on it.  As I dont even know what "function" it is, maybe I have not been searching in the right places either. 

Would like to ask if anyone here knows about it... 

About my car:  No Navigation, No speed limit detection, No adaptive cruise control, No fancy shit (it's a 2012 car).  

• When does it come on? >> Seems random, even at below 50 kmh.  
  • How often does it come on? >> Seems random too.  Sometimes just cruising on highway, intervals can be as short as ~30 seconds.  
  • Is the Multimedia interface / screen ON? >> No. Even when the whole console is switched OFF, this "Drive Carefully" alert still comes on.  
  • Is Attention Assist on? >> No.  
  • Where does the voice come from? >> Seems like the centre of the dashboard (thankfully not behind me when there's no one else in the car.)
  • Am I driving like Lewis Hamilton? >> No, I'm an unker ferrying kids to school and dabaoing meals (scared spill!) 

Appreciate if anyone could tell me - WHAT is it, and HOW to turn it OFF.  

Gracias!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lawman 

Thanks for your reply. 

I do not have an after-market Car Cam. 

As part of the stock rear-view mirror assembly, as seen from the outside (front windscreen), there appears to be a sensor which I think is a Rain/Light sensor. 

There’s no driver assistance feature.  
Only Attention Assist (the coffee cup thingy) which I’ve disabled.  

thank you  

I saw this in a much earlier forum posting complaining about the same problem you have and this is how he solved it:

"Mystery solved! It is not the Attention Assist that is prompting me. haha...Its actually the integrated GPS system that comes with the ride. I set the 'Speed warning' with voice activated last Sun and that's when suddenly the 'voice of Drive Carefully' came off on Mon evening when I was driving a little more 'rush' than the usual."

Hi Steven77,

Thanks for the info and posting it here.  Much appreciated! ☺️
I went to "investigate" as per above....

• My car has no "Speed Warning" nor integrated GPS (first pic below - No "NAVI" button). 
  • So closest function is the Speed Limiter, which I had set to OFF. (second pic below, showing speed limiter ON/OFF)
  • I turned this Speed Limiter ON and OFF again, just to make sure it is OFF.  
  • But the "Drive Carefully" still comes on - video with sound attached.  
  • In the video, my multimedia screen is Off, speed limiter is Off... 

and so the Mystery still still remains unsolved... 😟

26986194_mercbuttons.thumb.jpeg.93df85e068ca47f32a11dcb21892f494.jpeg

2067554477_mercSpeedLimiter.thumb.png.510df94ca5bb2cf37ee00a62ad7c5b47.png

The LED indicator is for the speed limiter and is usually turned off.

The stalk is for both cruise control & speed limiter.

Other possible cause like other forum members had mentioned is possibly your front video cam especially iRoad Car Video Cam which has ADAS (Advance Driver Assistance Systems) which will warned driver such as blind spot or passed speed limit setting. (I turned my iRoad ADAS off)

I've owned a 2010 W212 and a 2011 W212  but nvr has encounter such a problem.

Is your car // import or from CnC?

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery solved!! 🤪

Brought my car in to C&C.  Cust Svc officer had never heard of this “Drive Carefully” thingy. 

Brought in to workshop for diagnostic and check. Technician also did not know of this thing. Went for test drive. No sound. (!) Came back, I insisted that there’s always this sound and showed him the video I recorded. So test drove again... and this time the voice came up. 

Was asked to go have another Kopi while they investigated........
Had a Ham & Cheese Croissant and Cappucino.  

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Finally, they found the “cause”!! 
it is an aftermarket GPS system that is integrated into the MB system. 

The way to activate it? 
Hold down the “Back” button for about 3 seconds, and miraculously the Galactio V8 GPS screen appears on the centre screen!! MAGIC!! 
From there, just play with settings to turn off warnings. 

I’m the 2nd owner of this car and never knew there was this nifty little function built in. 

Galactio GPS briefly mentioned in this topic:

http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/8593-retrofit-comand-online-ntg45-for-facelift-w204/

From your description to activate it, it looks like the previous owner installed an after market multi media box which includes the Galactio GPS feature.

Your original input cable to the stock HU is connected to the input of multi media box and the multimedia box includes another cable connecting it's output to input of your stock HU. Likely the multi media box is hidden somewhere behind your stock HU.

Good to know you're good! 

Unker Drive carefully & Stay Safe :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

On 8/26/2020 at 6:07 PM, kepiting1sg said:

From your description to activate it, it looks like the previous owner installed an after market multi media box which includes the Galactio GPS feature.

Your original input cable to the stock HU is connected to the input of multi media box and the multimedia box includes another cable connecting it's output to input of your stock HU. Likely the multi media box is hidden somewhere behind your stock HU.

Good to know you're good! 

Unker Drive carefully & Stay Safe :)

Yes, all good, thanks! 😀

I'm still amazed at how well this after-market GPS is "hidden", or as some might call it, "integrated".  

• 1 year later...

Hi sorry to resurrect this necro thread but I am at my wit's end.

i recently bought a 2017 C63S amg and am getting the exact same issue.  There is an aftermarket android headunit installed, exactly like the OP.  the difference is that i cant find any setting to turn off the warning... previous owner is no help as he is not responding

Things that i have done:

1) uninstall the ADAS app in the headunit

2) turned the volume for the headunit to 0 (voice still comes on)

3) disconnect my phone bluetooth from the car and disable the wifi hotspot (voice comes on regardless)

4) looked into all the settings - there is nothing that states navigation speed warning or any sort of warning inside

I surfed around and the headunit looks like a STAPON android headset being advertised on Lazada.  but no luck finding instructions etc either...

really hoping for any advice here that the more experienced owners can give