• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Any Complains/Problems/Regrets with your new B-Class?

Guest echodeltax

Guest echodeltax

Dear B-Class Bros here,

Currently I am driving the new C180. Recently at a family gathering, a close relative of mine noticed that I have entered the wonderful world of the Benz family and she became very interested in getting the B-Class. It also seems to suit her budget and lifestyle.

Actually I have not seen many B-Class around compared to the C-Class. I wonder why??

So any Bros here driving the B-Class have any complains or problems or regrets, care to share and highlight?? Which model is a wiser choice, the B170 or B200 or B200 Turbo??

Any additional specs/request from the SE to make the ride a better one, such as quieter tyres/rims or maybe additional goodies that can be given FOC?? hehehe... :)

Thank you very much!! :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 777kenny

I'm still enyoing my B170 after 1.5yrs :thumbsup: It suits all my requirements. Just wish I opted for the Panoramic Roof option.

For the price of a B170...many people would rather buy a Golf GT (or GTI from PI). For the B-Classes, the B170 seems to be the most 'reasonably' priced.

The B170's power is just adequate, not more not less.

You really have to love the B-Class to buy it, cos there are many other so called Bangs-for-the-bucks makes and models out there.

Guest aspade

Well said, bro Kenny.

I guess the male drivers will find it a tad under-power (there is a secret boost button though and it feels stable enough at 170km/hr). However most B170 lady driver I met really loves the car for its versatility and ease of drive. Everyone I met cited safety as one of the most important reason for the decision to get the car (not the badge, they said :))

I have the Panaromic Roof is really fun and brightens up the car (need to get yr own solar film as C&C does not cover it). It is bloody long wait though. While you are at it, I strongly recommend the Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system if you dont want to mess around Audio20 and speakers upgrades subsequently.

I also heard the new B170 comes with a after market rear view camera.

Guest rmjunior

Well, it depends on which car you are comparing to...its definitely bigger than a hatch...if you are comparing with a normal sedan, i would say its slighlty smaller...but you can alws fold down the rear seat to increase the boot space

Guest cisconet

Driving a B for 6 months, i would say initial problems does happen. But after sending back to C&C for fine-tuning, most problems resolved. Getting this 'brand' of car, i think most would agreed on its safety - pretty tough enclosure like driving a tank..haha . For reliability i think for me its still too early to comment..haha

The height of the car is on the height side especially for ladies if you are wearing skirt, abit hard to get on it. So your relative may wish to take note of this.

Fuel wise, i am clocking around 9-14km/l depending on my mood and schedule.

Overall, quite a stable hard car.. :)

Guest Cklasse

I used to have the W168 (A-class) and this B is a carry-over of the A with a larger body. It's a nice car and I kind of like it although I like the c-class too.

I can see some similarity in the parts with the A-class and the construction. I believe this car was designed and built during the DaimlerChrysler days and we should not expect too much from it in terms of built although it has improved a lot compared to the early days W168.

It's been 5 years since the first B and hopefully we can see a new W246 in a couple of years since there is a trend for Daimler to change model every 6 to 7 years lately. I won't be surprise that I may join you guys in the B-class if the new one comes along when I decide to let go my W203.

Guest TuMMyBeaR

The improvements in the new B as well as the A today is that now Mercedes-Benz has a new patent for the car called the parabolic axle.

With this, it helps in the overall stability of the vehicle esp at the rear to reduce the body-roll despite the car being slightly higher than a sedan. It also prevents the horror stories of the old A-Class whereby ppl always think that the car will roll over when negotiating a bend.... ;D

Guest Cklasse

I have never doubted that the A or B will flip over because Mercedes-Benz has done it's job of stabilising it since the elk test.

If there is any car that will fail the elk test today, it's going to be those little SUV and the little Cina van.

Guest echodeltax

You mean there is coming new model for the B-Class soon??

I hope the shape change more to make it looks like a SUV...

personally, i feel it looks too bubbly.... for ladies is ok i guess, is very cute car shape.... but for man, i think it needs to hv more macho built. :)

Guest flyboy

Maybe I will be flamed for what I am going to say here, but hey, someone must also give an balance negative comments too right.

The car is generally ok, but my greatest peeve is the engine. The car has to be in 'S' mode in order to have a decent drive. I gave up driving in the 'C' mode after my wife stalled the car 3 times!! Send the car back a few times and the only solution C&C did was increase my idle RPM.

Even when the car is in the 'S' mode, the car occasionally 'coughs' when coming to a stop, this I cannot accept. It is even more obvious in the 'C' mode. I thought I am the only one with this problem but after talking to the technician, he said this is an inherent problem which is faced by many B users which concurs from with what I read in the other mercedes forum.

It serves well as a utility vehicle and that's about it. Unless you are driving the Turbo(which I think there are better choices around with the price range), performance is not a virtue for the B200 and B170.

Cheers!

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Wow bro.... Thats the first time I've heard about such issues with the B-Class. I'm very sorry to hear about your problems too.

I guess its just one of those things that happens (not that its fair that you should be the one who gets it... :()

Let me know if you ever need some assistance on your ride if you need to send the car in to C&C next time.

Cheers

Alvin Quah aka TuMMyBeaR.

Guest rmjunior

Been driving my Bee for abt 1 mth, and last night my engine stalled when approaching the exit of the carpark. It stalled just before the slope (the cashcard machine is on a slope)...I had to pull the handbrake and restart the engine..phew...luckily it did not stall when I was travelling on the highway etc...

Looks like it might be an inherent prob! Any bros out there encounter as well?

Guest echodeltax

Been driving my Bee for abt 1 mth, and last night my engine stalled when approaching the exit of the carpark. It stalled just before the slope (the cashcard machine is on a slope)...I had to pull the handbrake and restart the engine..phew...luckily it did not stall when I was travelling on the highway etc...

Looks like it might be an inherent prob! Any bros out there encounter as well?

Seems strange to me that not many B-Class owners complaining about this problem?? Maybe is just very small minor percentage happening....

But for a brand like Mercedes Benz, this should not happen at all!!

Very sad to hear these stories. When we buy a Mercedes Benz is because we trust and have faith in their technology and reliability but when these problems occur, the car becomes no better than an ordinary car that cost so much lessor.

It also makes me wonder what other problems that will surface later which we have yet to detect. :(

Guest east539

i am also quite shock to know that B have this problems, for a brand that is so well known for its research & technology, this is actually unacceptable, bros who have this problems should bring their rides back to MBC to demand for an answer for it.

Guest rmjunior

I will monitor the situation, if it happens again, I will bring in to C&C...like what Bros said, this is not acceptable for a Mercedes...lets hope its a once off incident! :pray:

Guest ratsgoh

Maybe I will be flamed for what I am going to say here, but hey, someone must also give an balance negative comments too right.

The car is generally ok, but my greatest peeve is the engine. The car has to be in 'S' mode in order to have a decent drive. I gave up driving in the 'C' mode after my wife stalled the car 3 times!! Send the car back a few times and the only solution C&C did was increase my idle RPM.

Even when the car is in the 'S' mode, the car occasionally 'coughs' when coming to a stop, this I cannot accept. It is even more obvious in the 'C' mode. I thought I am the only one with this problem but after talking to the technician, he said this is an inherent problem which is faced by many B users which concurs from with what I read in the other mercedes forum.

It serves well as a utility vehicle and that's about it. Unless you are driving the Turbo(which I think there are better choices around with the price range), performance is not a virtue for the B200 and B170.

Cheers!

I am experiencing the same problem as what you are facing ( I thought it was not acceptable but since I am still running in, I decided to monitor it longer)... YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. It's usually "Jerky" when you are moving in slow speed especially in carpark when you need to slow down to negotiate a turn or approaching a Hump. I will clock this matter officially with C&C. I reckoned they have to find us a solution. You are also right, "C" mode is purely for leisure drive, whereas "S" mode allowed us to "decently" accelerate..

James

Guest ratsgoh

Which model experience this problem?? The B170??

I think B200 and B200 Turbo should be better right??

Mine is a B170, barely 2 weeks old. In fact I just drove and notice the "jerkiness" lies in the 2nd gear shift... Other than this jerkiness, the car is really nice.

Guest bbwannabe

hello,

actually, that is the same for the W203. i have asked about this on the forum before. i feel it less often than you have described. maybe because the w203 has a bit more power and so i tend to stay in C mode more.

when i do go into S (rarely) and the car also jerks if i do not step on the accelerator. the way it jerk reminds me of when I was learning to drive a manual. haha...

Guest echodeltax

So the "Jerkiness" only applies to S mode?? and C mode is ok??

I am confused, thought using S mode has more power, then the car should not jerk right??

Guest flyboy

The choking/coughing/jerkiness/hiccups or whatever you call it is very very pronounce in the 'C' mode.

This particular ailment is enough to mar my driving experience with this car. All the other bells and whistles of the car simply cannot compensate for this huge flaw.

I was following the forum and I thought its either I am so unfortunate that I am the only one facing this problem or every other B-owner is in a denial mode.

There's no point in sorting out with C&C as the only solution they have came out with is drive it in a 'S' mode whereby the irritating cough will be less pronounced.

Well as long as this car doesn't give me any more problems, I going to tahan for another 1-2 years and move on to the next car.

Cheers!

Guest aspade

There's no point in sorting out with C&C as the only solution they have came out with is drive it in a 'S' mode whereby the irritating cough will be less pronounced.

Well as long as this car doesn't give me any more problems, I going to tahan for another 1-2 years and move on to the next car.

Cheers!

Hi Bro FlyBoy,

Sorry to hear this is a problem to your car. Is yours a face lifted B170 ? For the new version, I heard they put in a more robust alternator to allow quick starts in between stops (in the blue efficiency series). Otherwise there isn't any signficant changes from the old series.

I don't think you should give up pursuing with C&C on such problem. I have had my B class for close to 2 years now and never encountered such a problem. I frequently surf the UK and Canada forums and websites for B Class and this is definitely not a common complain. Request for a spare car while they do the checking. Should not suffer in silence and let them run away with crime.

Please let us know what C&C responses ... :swduel: