• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W205 Brake Pads and Water Pump

Nicky5555

My ride is now on the fourth year, i realise the rear pads always worn out faster than the front ones, any reason why?

Also, i was advised after 100k mileage to change the water pump as a precaution, is it true?

Ans the mechanic told me around 150k-200k, the gear box 100% garantee will have problems

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Nicky5555 said:

My ride is now on the fourth year, i realise the rear pads always worn out faster than the front ones, any reason why?

Also, i was advised after 100k mileage to change the water pump as a precaution, is it true?

Ans the mechanic told me around 150k-200k, the gear box 100% garantee will have problems

Usually, front brake pads will wear out faster than those at the rear because the front handles more of the braking load.

If it's not broken then don't fix it unless you do long distances especially in Malaysia

My previous 7.5yr old W212 hit 190k km - never has to change the water pump.

Gear box, I encounter the pcb in the gear box has an issue and got it replaced - not a common known issue

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, Nicky5555 said:

Hi Nicky, 

Rear pads are thinner than front pads. I would not change the water pump unless it's broken because MB parts are very hardy. 

I assume you're driving a W205 with 7 gears because your ride was from 2015. The 7G-tronic transmission is very hardy and should not cause you any issues even beyond 200k km. 

1 hour ago, SQ88 said:

Hi Nicky, 

Rear pads are thinner than front pads. I would not change the water pump unless it's broken because MB parts are very hardy. 

I assume you're driving a W205 with 7 gears because your ride was from 2015. The 7G-tronic transmission is very hardy and should not cause you any issues even beyond 200k km. 

I am not sure about the rear brake pad is thinner than the front. It is true that my rear pad worn out but still a lot of pad to go at the front. I heard that you go through 3 sets of rear for every set of front. I think the most probable reason is the electronic parking brake making the rear wear out a lot. Especially when we don't manually release the parking brake. The auto release when we step on the accelerator to force the release seems to create more wear.

10 hours ago, is250c said:

I am not sure about the rear brake pad is thinner than the front. It is true that my rear pad worn out but still a lot of pad to go at the front. I heard that you go through 3 sets of rear for every set of front. I think the most probable reason is the electronic parking brake making the rear wear out a lot. Especially when we don't manually release the parking brake. The auto release when we step on the accelerator to force the release seems to create more wear.

The front pads are thicker than the rear pads. Also, the electronic parking brake for the W205 auto releases when you put the car in drive, before you step on the accelerator. 

https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en/catalogue/mercedes-benz-c-class-w205-c-200-205-042/000100551-1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Nicky5555 said:

Like I said before "If it ain't broken don't fix it!"

My previous 7 yr old W212 clocked nearly 200k km and didn't change the water pump or even timing chain.

Even if a water pump kaput (jammed bearing) or leaking, your ride will get overheating warning.

Just topping up water until you reached your workshop or get the car tow.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

8 hours ago, SQ88 said:

The front pads are thicker than the rear pads. Also, the electronic parking brake for the W205 auto releases when you put the car in drive, before you step on the accelerator. 

https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en/catalogue/mercedes-benz-c-class-w205-c-200-205-042/000100551-1

Thank you for the information. I thought the parking brake releases only when step on accelerator just like the holding function at traffic light. I will pay attention the next time I drive the car.