• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Is it standard prac. to charge $100 admin fee???

Guest JiaJia

Guest JiaJia

I feel so duped >:(

When negotiating for the purchase of the W124, car dealer wanted to collect $100 as admin fee (for what?) even though we wanted to pay cash for the purchase of the car. After some haggling, car dealer said ok to not collecting the $100.

But on the day of collection and final and full settlement of the balance of the amount due to the car dealer, he added in the $100!!!!!!!!!!!! Really fed-up and feel like :censored:

So after some more haggling and 'you said', 'I said' etc, he very reluctantly relented. I hope he sticks to his word this time as we are only collecting the car later. Really very tough dealing with these people really can :banghead:

Can anyone advise is it standard for 2nd hand car dealers to charge admin fee even for cash payment?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no admin fee they just wan to charge abit more to cover from the commission they have lost thru buying cash. normally when u opt for installment they will charge another 500 more

Don't understand why they need to charge the admin fee. If you take a loan from them, they WILL HAVE MORE THAN SUFFICIENT COVERAGE thru their commission from the finance company to not charge you $100.

Ridiculous.

What a cheater bug !! curse that Ah Beng !!

no such thing lah.

Anyway what is $100 ? not even enough to pay 2 parking fines.

Sometimes i really dont know what these guys were thinking... just for a mere 100buckaroos ... they rather lose the customer forever and ever

haiz .....

Guest JiaJia

Thanks all for your words of support!

Went today to collect car and make final and full payment in cash. Refused to pay the $100 admin fee which was part of the original agreement (albeit verbal -- this is a lesson learnt -- so u guys better pen down everything agreed n get the dealer to acknowledge at time of purchase). The sales guy lamented that I could have gotten him fired for that but stuck to the agreement of no admin fee.

Phew ... it really takes alot to deal with people in the 2nd hand car market. Certainly not for the faint-hearted. Would strongly recommend anyone looking for a pre-loved W124 to source directly from the owners and/or from members of this forum who want to sell theirs.

Now, cant wait to send the grand dame for a full servicing ;D

Guest JiaJia

Thanks all for your warm welcome into the W124 family -- its really an honour.

Took the 16 year old 'baby' for a short drive -- car really solid but very heavy. Almost got to floor the accelerator before it can move! This is normal right? Really need some getting used to as I have been accustomed to driving our Jap car which is very responsive once the accelerator pedal is slightly depressed. Wow, like that really dont have to go gym to tone calf muscles!

By the way, does any one know, have used the services of M-Tech at Tampines before? Found out from the decal left by the previous owner that the car has been serviced there. Thought we go back to them for our 1st full servicing and inspection for any problem with our baby. Would be grateful if any one can share your experience using this particular workshop.

Thanks in advance!

Guest MBfallshirmjager

Try Nam Sing@Autopoint at AMK Industrial Park Two! They're good, reliable, sincere and trustworthy....which is the most important of all.

Cheerios!

Guest JiaJia

Thanks MB for recommending Nam Sing. Eokh also recommended the same workshop citing the same reasons. Hmmm... looks like really got to give them a try. Any good and competent mechanic to recommend? Do we have to make an appointment before going?

Thanks again!

Guest MBfallshirmjager

Don't have to make an appointment. Just drive in early preferably in the morning because Nam Sing is usually quite full by mid-day. But then again they have 6 people running the entire workshop and they are very quick and nimble in their job and hands. 3 of them are brothers, one is their nephew and two are their employees. They are open from Mon-Sat from 0900-1800. If you want to ensure that they give your MB priority and also prefer to collect your MB early after servicing by mid-day or early afternoon then it is better to send in early@0900.

Cheerios!

Guest MBfallshirmjager

I can't exactly put a price tag for servicing your MB. It really all depends on the condition of your W124. For my case, when I acquired my W124 directly from the previous owner, I was already ready to change some wear & tear parts to refurbish my MB with a new feel and driving experience. I not only send my MB to Nam Sing for a general servicing but brought along with me all the spare parts that I wanted Nam Sing to change for me like Brembo brakes, ICER brakepads, Meyle coil springs, Bilstein shock absorbers, SIL waterpump, Bremi ignition coil/cables/rotor/distributor cap,etc,etc,etc.....Therefore my cost was everything calculated in totality. That was just recently on 3 Jan. However, if you are just keen to send your W124 for a general inspection & servicing then maybe it won't cost os much for you. Nam Sing will probably and firstly inspect and check if there are any necessary wear & tear parts that needs replacing and then advice you. After whivh, you decide what is important and priority for you to do. Otherwise, general servicing which includes replacing spark plugs, air-filters, oil-filters, engine oil, wheel alignment, check battery,etc,etc,etc I think shouldn't be so strain on the wallet. I think its between $100 -$150 + or -? My second and next 10,000km servcing won't be due til' maybe in June. Try checking with the others in the forum to have an estimation too for Nam Sing.

Cheerios!

Guest Raskie

agree about buying yr own parts ... one thing abt Merc is that the parts are easily available ... so no worries there ... only when the controlled items are required, then 'bo-pian' ...

:)

Guest marble

Hi I am new here.

How about MB parts from the scrapyards? I know of a few scrapyards in Kranji that sells some of these parts like very cheap. But you must know what you want and how the new parts look like. There is one yard called Propel Holdings at 28 Kranji Road. Some good stuff there. Down the road 18 Kranji Road Lian Hup Brothers also have lots of stuff. Another is Kiat Lee, across the road. I saw some of the MB body parts there and my heart keeps racing...sigh so many beauties being chopped into half. If you know your stuff, you can even find good engines to upgrade yours to, let alone spoilers, and other parts. Just a thought.

Also, I am looking for a GPS and good sound system for my CLK320 cab. I was told that I have to get it from C&C as there is some proprietory stuff. But the audio people who fix my other car told me I can use their Alphine set - just add a bracket - cost $2K+.

Lastly, I would like to hear from you guys about servicing at C&C. Just bought my car, and as it is a C&C car and was serviced in C&C, it was like "safe" bet. I was talking to the dealer and they say they only buy C&C cars for their "resalability", as buyers always get weak-knee on hearing PI cars. Also, it seems that C&C keeps track of all the servcing records so one can feel safe about the purchase. My thoughts are that if at anytime I resell my car after 2 years, and I can fetch $5k more because it is a C&C purchased and serviced car, that works out to be $1250/service extra which I could have expended, so if C&C general servicing is around let say $400 (which I was told, but I have not done my 1st service yet as I just got my car) compare to other workshops say around $250 (which I checked and I was told again - savings of $150+). I would look to the future and go with C&C. Furthermore, I was told again that C&C has recently reduced their servicing prices drastically to maintain and capture more market share. Would love to hear more experience comments. THanks guys..and gals.

BTW, I was charged $500 for "admin fees" which I complained to some bros here, but I guess the salesman also got to feed his family. Anyway, after I paid him, I got pretty good service....even helping me fix and repair some damaged parts, and getting me a new copy of the owners manual. Hee hee. Either he was grateful, or I overpaid for my car!!! :-\