• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Help needed -- Looking to buy a 16V E200, what to look out for?

Guest simonse

Guest simonse

Hello!

I am new to this forum and I am looking forward to join this 'family' of proud W124 owners soon -- by owning one myself.

I certainly found info exchanged on this forum to be very useful however, I would be most grateful for more guided advise on what to look out for when buying a 16V E200, from reasonable price range to good and honest used car dealers to aspects of the car (body and engine) where caution is due, etc.

In addition, I would like to ask for your opinion on the following:

I saw a '93 E200 at one of the used car centres, quite like it but found water at the footwell at the driver's and front passenger's seats -- under the carpet. The Sales Exec did not even notice that and appeared surprised when I pointed the problem to him. He claimed that it could be due to water leaking from the aircon pipes -- is this true? What do you all think?

Would be most grateful for your advise.

Regards.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum. :)

Being one of the 16V e200 owners, and having gone thru some agonizing moments with the car, I'd advise you the following points:

- Make sure the engine and electrical stuff is in good condition, (MUST have it checked by your preferred mechanic. They won't let you do that? Then walk away...)

- Take particular note of blown headgasket signs such as stalling during the first cranking of the engine, water at the spark plug compartments .

- cooling system must be in good condition (beware of leaks at the radiator and hoses, erratic temp indicator, faulty thermostat switch...)

- as for dealers, don't fall for 'free servicing', 'we provide 2000km warranty', 'we have our own workshop...we'll fix it later for you...' and all other crap. They are your friends until you sign the dot. (sorry guys, no offence.) ::).

- During the negotiation, if they try to mark up the price more than what they advertise on the sgcarmart, do not hesitate to walk away... They'd say, "admin fees, road tax etc etc..."

- water in the cabin is not good... No matter how good looking the car is, I'd stay away from it... Looks can be deceiving. ;)

- Check if the upholstery is in good condition or not. My car's ceiling leather came off... costs 200-300 bucks to fix...

that's all I can remember... Our experts should be able to provide better answers to your question.

hope you can find a good "tank" thru your search :)

-

Guest kepiting1sg

Hello!

I am new to this forum and I am looking forward to join this 'family' of proud W124 owners soon -- by owning one myself.

I certainly found info exchanged on this forum to be very useful however, I would be most grateful for more guided advise on what to look out for when buying a 16V E200, from reasonable price range to good and honest used car dealers to aspects of the car (body and engine) where caution is due, etc.

I saw a '93 E200 at one of the used car centres, quite like it but found water at the footwell at the driver's and front passenger's seats -- under the carpet. The Sales Exec did not even notice that and appeared surprised when I pointed the problem to him. He claimed that it could be due to water leaking from the aircon pipes -- is this true? What do you all think?

Regards.

Here could be a probable cause of the water at the footwell.

http://www.sgmerc.com/forum/index.php?topic=3448.0

Look out for worn out auto gear box - that job could easily cost U >$2K+

Drive the car around & leave the car idling for 15 mins or more to see if there's an overheating problem.

More W124 Bros will add in their advice

Good Luck!

Guest alumetal

w124 16v are good option.

But there is 2 parts that is very expensive.

a) throttle bodies harness (also connect to the ECU)

cost some $1500

B) ECU module

can cost some $1600

Also watch out for head-leak as 16v have a tendercy of this trouble some 6-7 years.

Weak link is the head gasket (made of gasket paper ; not metal.)

Also try to use the correct coolent and ratio (merc type) ; which will also lead to head-leak is not careful.

Guest simonse

Hello and thanks to the veterans for your inputs!

I am very excited indeed to be on my way to owning my first 'tank' (I hope) and to have one of my childhood dreams come true. I have noted your kind inputs and would like to ask further the following:

1. Do you forsee any problems with the engine, gearbox, etc for Merc Benz (E200) which has been laid up for about 1 to 2 months by the car dealer in order for them to save on road tax?

2. Any recommedation of good (enough) and honest (enough) sales exec whom you have personally good experience with?

3. If the 'water in footwell' problem is caused by corroded and/or loose hose from aircon, is this problem difficult and expensive to fix?

Appreciate your advise on the above and any other tips to look out for.

Many thanks!

Simon

Guest simonse

Hello!

Missed out one more question. If there some brownish/organgy water in the radiator reservoir of the Merc Benz E200 16V, what could be the cause of this?

Again, would be grateful for your kind advise!

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Simon

Hello!

Missed out one more question. If there some brownish/organgy water in the radiator reservoir of the Merc Benz E200 16V, what could be the cause of this?

Again, would be grateful for your kind advise!

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Simon

like what ody_2004 said dun stick to this one.. lots in market..

this one, if you had said, orangegy and brownish stuffs in reservoir, means gasket BROKE!! means you have to do MAJOR Overhaul, super bo hua!!! must burn another $4K overall...

Guest clarkewan

FOR ME....

i will bring the car for car wash...

high pressure jet everywhere...

then wait for a while...

go into car

pull out the car mats and the base mats to see the bare metal of the base of the mercs...

and if got water....

then u can throw the car back to them....

that is the first thing i will do!!!

Guest alumetal

"brownish/organgy water in the radiator reservoir of the Merc Benz E200 16V"

Ohhh !! careful when you see this..... especially when you can see some oil on the water surface !

Means..... blown head gasket !! costly S$1.6K to S$2K !!

Sign.... overheat !, loss of power !

Stay away !

Guest simonse

Hi Brudders of W124 planet,

Thanks for your inputs, will be going down to dealer tomorrow for a second look. Will ask for a test drive. The brownish fluid doesn't "feel" oily, could it be a rusty radiator? Can be settled by changing the coolant? Also, the car has been laid up for sometime, anyone experience any problem after buying a laid up vehicle? Also, if I'm keen on a car and would like to make an offer, as a guide, how much to reduce from the asking price? Thanks!

The ECU cost ard 2.6K for the 16 valves module brand new. Those from the scrap yard is going for ard 1.6K.

When idling see if the car's rpm is hunting meaning to sae if the rpm is fluctuating. This can be either an ECU problem or the throttle body problem.

If u r really keen to get a 16 valve, u must be prepare to spend a few thousand to condition it up. and once its done it drives like a new car.

Make sure the body is nice thats the most important thing

Guest clarkewan

to be frank...

getting an e200 is just a thin line to getting a lemon...

just like my dad in law....

his lemon darn big some more!!

scary...

now have to keep spending money for repairs....

:(

sianz.....

Ride quality of older mercs cannot be compared..even when i drive the S class,i still feel that the W124 drives nicer..not as responsive but the feel is gd..

The Expensive Feel is there..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simonse,

Have you found your baby yet?

I am also hunting for a W124 and if you have yet to commit, maybe we can pool our resources and find two beauties together?

Have gone through the helpful pointers provided but it might be best to bring around one or two of the W124 meisters here while viewing!

Hello!

Regards.

Hi

I have just sold my nicely done up Merc W124 (16v)- Masterpiece look alike !.

For potential W124 buyers, Most important point to note is the condition of the Engine & gearbox plus how well the ride have been taken care over the past years. Noticed most buyers looking at just the "Sell Price" without thinking of "Any follow up repairs". You can ended up getting a "lemon" which spoil your joy of owning a very nice ride

Cheers !

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Any details on how to determine the engine and gearbox condition?

Cheers!

Hi

I have just sold my nicely done up Merc W124 (16v)- Masterpiece look alike !.

For potential W124 buyers, Most important point to note is the condition of the Engine & gearbox plus how well the ride have been taken care over the past years. Noticed most buyers looking at just the "Sell Price" without thinking of "Any follow up repairs". You can ended up getting a "lemon" which spoil your joy of owning a very nice ride

Cheers !

Hi!

Yes, planning to keep it for as long as humanly possible (actually is there a limit to how old a vehicle one can keep in Singapore?).

Car body would be the chassis and undercarriage? Things to look out for would be...? I guess rust spots would be a criterion?

to me if u wan to keep the car for long or thinking of having a restoration work, the car body itself is the main concern

Guest simonse

Hi owm,

Got my ride already, current doing up the repair here and there. Saw the manual W124 some time back, laid up,mileage 400kplus, nice body interior and exterior, dealer probably did it up abit, lousy registration number though. Go have a look, you might develope "feelings" for the car, for a 7 owner car and that price, I wouldn't mind getting it but better half can't drive manual so bo pian. Anyway no regrets getting my current one. :yumyum: Like all our seniors here mention, you have to be prepared to spend some dough to do up the car to your expectaion, apart from gearbox and engine, rust is also a major concern, especially at battery compartment. Happy car hunting! this is also part of the fun in owning our modern classic :rockon:

Cheers!!

Hi Simonse,

Thanks for your reply and congrats on securing your ride!

If the manual W124 was laid up then it might require much work to get it road worthy again..hmmm. Mucho gracias for the advice provided on rust. Will go have a look at it tomorrow.

Cheers!

Hi owm,

Got my ride already, current doing up the repair here and there. Saw the manual W124 some time back, laid up,mileage 400kplus, nice body interior and exterior, dealer probably did it up abit, lousy registration number though. Go have a look, you might develope "feelings" for the car, for a 7 owner car and that price, I wouldn't mind getting it but better half can't drive manual so bo pian. Anyway no regrets getting my current one. :yumyum: Like all our seniors here mention, you have to be prepared to spend some dough to do up the car to your expectaion, apart from gearbox and engine, rust is also a major concern, especially at battery compartment. Happy car hunting! this is also part of the fun in owning our modern classic :rockon:

Cheers!!