• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Finally !!!

Guest eokh

I am "IN"

yes ... I am a merz owner now too

a 8V white W124 with 280K on the clock and 2 more yrs to go.

car is fine ... runs like a dream

except for a slight drift to the left ... which i WANT believe to be a alignment issue

intended to renew COE later on when wallet is fuller

will bring her out to the nxt meetup

hope to learn more from all the nice bros/siz here

and thank you for all you patience with my queries and stuff

cheerios !!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah! still got 2yr 2months to go.. still got lots of time.

bcos i paid up in full.. it burned a lot of cash.

so wallet need time to recuperate.

abt the drifting part.. i am beginning to start getting worried. i really hope its the alignment

i also hv another Qn for the bros here.

seems like the rear tyres are new? front are old. is that the correct way? usually on front wheel drv cars you prefer to put good tyres in front and lousy tyres at the rear

Yo All !! me again

just collected my car this aftn

was driving back home .... and i am starting to have this deep sinking feeling

like they used to say, " if you have this feeling you had been screwed... most probably you had"

couple of things

1. the driveway in my house seems to have an oily patch

it wasn't there when i inspected the car 2x at the dealer's place

2. there was a funny jerk when i shift into R gear. Big Jerk force too

3. the drive felt fine up to 70km/h ... during the test drive, that was the highest speed i could reach due to traffic conditions

after 80kmh .... the car started to sway left and right

i have this deep deep sinking feeling ...... my heart is dropping to the bottom of the sea

:dblfk: to all dealers ! may they all rot in hell

Yo All !! me again

just collected my car this aftn

was driving back home .... and i am starting to have this deep sinking feeling

like they used to say, " if you have this feeling you had been screwed... most probably you had"

couple of things

1. the driveway in my house seems to have an oily patch

it wasn't there when i inspected the car 2x at the dealer's place

3. the drive felt fine up to 70km/h ... during the test drive, that was the highest speed i could reach due to traffic conditions

after 80kmh .... the car started to sway left and right

i have this deep deep sinking feeling ...... my heart is dropping to the bottom of the sea

:dblfk: to all dealers ! may they all rot in hell

Check your engine bay, see which part has lots of oil leak? Could be engine oil cap means change oil cap cheap, or in between engine cover and block means you have to do top overhaul as gasket broke liao! Or power steering pump(near abs pump) leaking if leak is minor don't need to change as it can last till every servicing. Worst case is hope is not fuel pump which is not really the case.

Don't really understand meaning of after 80km/h go left and right? Could it be tyres or alignment? If not how's the steering when you were driving at that speed?

The jerk when change to R, sorry got depress brake hard? If got and it jerks hard, haiz means gearbox ...

:pray: The last time I kena similar symptoms, it cost me 2+ grand to resolve. Then again, it may be just a simple case of replacing a worn bushing.......

How large was the oil patch ?

Guest alumetal

check the colour of the oil...... red....gear box....cost $1800 - 2000....

If its engine oil.... suspect the oil sump gasket.... mostly quite cheap to replace.

But honestly, base on yr explaination..... be prepared to fork-out some $$ for a gearbox change.

Also suggest that you approach the use car dealer.

Sorry to heard yr situation.

Check your engine bay, see which part has lots of oil leak? Could be engine oil cap means change oil cap cheap, or in between engine cover and block means you have to do top overhaul as gasket broke liao! Or power steering pump(near abs pump) leaking if leak is minor don't need to change as it can last till every servicing. Worst case is hope is not fuel pump which is not really the case.

Don't really understand meaning of after 80km/h go left and right? Could it be tyres or alignment? If not how's the steering when you were driving at that speed?

The jerk when change to R, sorry got depress brake hard? If got and it jerks hard, haiz means gearbox ...

the engine bay looks clean.

bcos the rain keep washing away the oily patch ... so can't tell exact color of the oil.

as for the R jerk ... sometimes have ... sometimes dont have.

maybe it is bcos i didn't depress the brake pedal hard enough

the drifting left and right part is like this

i can be travelling at 80kmh... holding the steering wheel straight.

But I feel the car leaning towards the left of the lane ... then it leans to the right.

A bit like kinda floating on thin air feeling ... i am pretty sure it is not my damn blood pressure acting up

the more i drive the car... the more sai i found

the brake pads are worn ... needs changing

Does any kind soul have a copy of the owners manual ??

I am totally absolutely dumbfounded by the instrument cluster on the dashboard

thank you thank you !!!

check the colour of the oil...... red....gear box....cost $1800 - 2000....

If its engine oil.... suspect the oil sump gasket.... mostly quite cheap to replace.

But honestly, base on yr explaination..... be prepared to fork-out some $$ for a gearbox change.

Also suggest that you approach the use car dealer.

Sorry to heard yr situation.

no worries

the grand old dame is already 18yrs old afterall

some flu and cough is to be expected.

the rain keeps washing the oil away ... will wait for dry weather to keep a lookout

:pray: The last time I kena similar symptoms, it cost me 2+ grand to resolve. Then again, it may be just a simple case of replacing a worn bushing.......

dont scared me leh bro

but hor it doesnt happen frequently

maybe like keltanky bro said ... probably its bcos i didn't step on the brake pedal hard enough

i had already been driving the car for more than 100km by now..

there are not many funny jerks from the gear box during gear changes

once in a while at very slow speed, there is one big jerk but i believe that is due to the down shift to Gear 1

it happens on my subaru also

on the other hand, occasionally, when i lift my leg off the pedal and close throttle, there is a slight jerk too

But it doesn't happen too frequently

haiz ... :banghead:

Guest jameslhm

could it be type issue?????

you mean tyre ? maybe

the front tyres are worn ... needs money also

sorry typo error maybe u try chnaging the tyre 1st if change liao u hit 80km/h no issue u save a lot of $$$$, since ur front tyres are worn u have to chnage also.... safety 1st..... especially this few days rain non stop...... for tyre can go poh heng located at BLK 4002 ANG MO KIO AVE 10. #01-04. can look for Justin: 98368640..... the price is reasonable

sorry typo error maybe u try chnaging the tyre 1st if change liao u hit 80km/h no issue u save a lot of $$$$, since ur front tyres are worn u have to chnage also.... safety 1st..... especially this few days rain non stop...... for tyre can go poh heng located at BLK 4002 ANG MO KIO AVE 10. #01-04. can look for Justin: 98368640..... the price is reasonable

no worries bro... thanks for the tip !!

I am not exactly a fan of Justin and his shop.

Had a couple of brushes with them already.

I prefer Eng Wah in Toa Payoh... near subaru showroom

(sorry ... not advertisement. I can remove this comment if it is sensitive)

my friend intro me another shop in Mandai ... yet to give them a call.

Guest paddy

you may want to do a servicing, incl change of oils and see if the jerking persist.

it could be the previous owner didnt do any oil change, esp for gear box since he had the intention to sell off the car

dont scared me leh bro

but hor it doesnt happen frequently

maybe like keltanky bro said ... probably its bcos i didn't step on the brake pedal hard enough

i had already been driving the car for more than 100km by now..

there are not many funny jerks from the gear box during gear changes

once in a while at very slow speed, there is one big jerk but i believe that is due to the down shift to Gear 1

it happens on my subaru also

on the other hand, occasionally, when i lift my leg off the pedal and close throttle, there is a slight jerk too

But it doesn't happen too frequently

haiz ... :banghead:

hi Paddy

i would highly suspect it is an issue that the car is due for big time servicing too.

from what i can see / feel / hear .... top priority items are

1. brake pads (and possibly rotors)

2. 2 pcs front tyres

3. fan belt (dealer already told me frankly)

4. verify if there is old leak somewhere.

5. i feel better if the grand ol' dame gets a bottle of new blood running in its veins.

secondary items

1. the drifting from side-to-side issue ... i suspect the dampers are worn.... although it did feel better after i pumped the correct air pressure this morning.... in the meantime, no driving above 70kmh

2. power windows not working

3. still need to get my hands on a owners manual.... dont make sense out of the meters on the clock

http://www.sgmerc.com/forum/index.php?topic=3288.0

http://www.mediafire.com/?fwjkyjhhgfm - Slow but steady link to download owners manual.

Rename the .txt to .pdf once you're finished downloading and you're good to go

hi Paddy

i would highly suspect it is an issue that the car is due for big time servicing too.

from what i can see / feel / hear .... top priority items are

1. brake pads (and possibly rotors)

2. 2 pcs front tyres

3. fan belt (dealer already told me frankly)

4. verify if there is old leak somewhere.

5. i feel better if the grand ol' dame gets a bottle of new blood running in its veins.

secondary items

1. the drifting from side-to-side issue ... i suspect the dampers are worn.... although it did feel better after i pumped the correct air pressure this morning.... in the meantime, no driving above 70kmh

2. power windows not working

3. still need to get my hands on a owners manual.... dont make sense out of the meters on the clock

1. Brake pads cost around $70+-$80 per pair for the front. Resurfacing your discs costs under $50 (dependent on condition)

2. :)

3. :)

4. + 5. Suggest you do this when you want to change fluids. You can do a degrease of your engine bay at the same time.

secondary items

1. Best to check your shock mount at the same time. 1 pair arnd $80

Guest alumetal

If yours is the 16v engine.

You can consider some leftover spare from me.

I got a new set of front brake pad..... $30 nia. (+ sensor wire too)

I also got the front suspension top strut (1 pair)..... $10 nia.

1 set front rubber shock covering..... $10 nia.

............and a whole lot more parts.

If you want ,...... i also got a set of BIG Brake Disc (330mm / 13") front and back.

Let me know by email : [email protected]