• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Apple Carplay or Android Auto

Hi Peeps,

Anyone knows whether there is anyway to get Andriod Auto or Apple Carplay for the infotainment system?

Thanks!

Gabz

What is the model and YOM of your ride?

Understand that Merz have the drive kit plus for Apple CarPlay but CNC can't advise.

Even if you install it, the Drive Kit Plus app for iPhone is not available for download in Singapore. Will be white elephant in the car, useless.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I got the info from master technician in CNC JB that Apple Car Play and Andriod Auto can be retrofitted now if you are using NTG5. At least in Malaysia, most car made after July 2015 can be retrofitted. It is called Smartphone Integration Package (Code 14U). The part number is A 172 820 20 00, made in Germany.

I am retrofitting mine some times next week.

Excited to read this as well!

Just got my 2016 CLA SB two days ago and still meddling with the system.

My biggest beef is that the 8 inch screen does not have GPS - kinda "waste" for such a huge screen!

I am considering to install Garmin Map ("cheapest" option) or Apple Carplay (ouch) but dont want to void warranty.

BTW, how to find out the version of NTG in the car? I am still confused with the Command online, Audio 20 etc etc.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Buckrogers said:

Excited to read this as well!

Just got my 2016 CLA SB two days ago and still meddling with the system.

My biggest beef is that the 8 inch screen does not have GPS - kinda "waste" for such a huge screen!

I am considering to install Garmin Map ("cheapest" option) or Apple Carplay (ouch) but dont want to void warranty.

BTW, how to find out the version of NTG in the car? I am still confused with the Command online, Audio 20 etc etc.

Thanks!

@Buckrogers my personal opinion is to get apple phone mirroring (Cost around 1k+) and it is much better then garmin map (2k+) because for garmin map you still need to update it whenever a new map comes out (I heard the map isn't even that good) while apple phone mirroring just mirrors whatever app your phone is running. Apple carplay is still not available in Singapore and the few workshops in singapore none of them knows how to do it yet.

NTG is the version of Mercedes command. So considering you dont have a gps, you most probably just have the stock audio 20 like the rest of us.:jig:

Just need to pray that C&C stop sucking our money by asking us to spend 10k on a unreliable navigation system when google  maps or waze is 1000000% better and dont even require updates.

Cheers!

• Like 2

There are several ways to it ...

1. Mirroring without AppleTV.

This is the cheapest and most direct. However, I heard issues that everytime Apple releases a new update, the mirroring may not work and will have to update the software for the mirroring too. I stayed away from this route as Apple releases many updates ...

2. Mirroring with AppleTV.

I thought I was the smarty pants and went this route. But in the end ... my connection ( over Bluetooth ) occasionally dropped. But the dealbreaker for me was that they installed a separate mini fan ( somewhat like your computer graphics card fan ) that had to cool down the AppleTV. The mini fan only came on for me when my car was idle ... and it was a little loud for my preference.

3. CarPlay.

Carplay is possible with your car ... Do you have command? If you have the newest command, Max / Elebest able to do coding to enable Carplay. If you do not have command like me ... Max / Elebest then installed command into my car, then activated the Carplay. It works wonderfully now for me.

JIN

22 hours ago, JIN said:

There are several ways to it ...

1. Mirroring without AppleTV.

This is the cheapest and most direct. However, I heard issues that everytime Apple releases a new update, the mirroring may not work and will have to update the software for the mirroring too. I stayed away from this route as Apple releases many updates ...

2. Mirroring with AppleTV.

I thought I was the smarty pants and went this route. But in the end ... my connection ( over Bluetooth ) occasionally dropped. But the dealbreaker for me was that they installed a separate mini fan ( somewhat like your computer graphics card fan ) that had to cool down the AppleTV. The mini fan only came on for me when my car was idle ... and it was a little loud for my preference.

3. CarPlay.

Carplay is possible with your car ... Do you have command? If you have the newest command, Max / Elebest able to do coding to enable Carplay. If you do not have command like me ... Max / Elebest then installed command into my car, then activated the Carplay. It works wonderfully now for me.

JIN

Hi Jin,

can share whats the damage for option 3? I am sure my ride is on stock audio 20.

buckrogers

23 hours ago, ACEGabz said:

@Buckrogers my personal opinion is to get apple phone mirroring (Cost around 1k+) and it is much better then garmin map (2k+) because for garmin map you still need to update it whenever a new map comes out (I heard the map isn't even that good) while apple phone mirroring just mirrors whatever app your phone is running. Apple carplay is still not available in Singapore and the few workshops in singapore none of them knows how to do it yet.

NTG is the version of Mercedes command. So considering you dont have a gps, you most probably just have the stock audio 20 like the rest of us.:jig:

Just need to pray that C&C stop sucking our money by asking us to spend 10k on a unreliable navigation system when google  maps or waze is 1000000% better and dont even require updates.

Cheers!

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the explanation. map updates was one of the cons I listed when considering.

I was trying to get the (system to connect) online with my phone but it cannot get connected,

I tried using cable and blue tooth but both didnt work.

Not sure which step i missed.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Buckrogers said:

Hi Bro,

Thanks for the explanation. map updates was one of the cons I listed when considering.

I was trying to get the (system to connect) online with my phone but it cannot get connected,

I tried using cable and blue tooth but both didnt work.

Not sure which step i missed.

Cheers.

Watch video and learn :)

2 hours ago, Godprint said:

expensive to set it up?

cheers

You should give Max / Elebest a call. Tell him your current system ... and he be able to advise you if its doable and how much it would be.

One thing to note ... you need Command in order to activate Carplay.

I did not have Command previously, that's why it cost me so much to change to a unit with Command ...

If you have Command and its NTG5, then Max will just charge you for coding to activate Carplay.

Jin

On 9/9/2016 at 4:32 PM, ACEGabz said:

@VoodooEx Do keep us updated on how it goes! Really excited to hear this news =D

On 9/14/2016 at 3:40 PM, VoodooEx said:

I am still having holiday, haha. Have to wait 1 more week.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:12 PM, VoodooEx said:

Anyone tried out Android Auto?

Hi Guys,

Finally got the Smartphone Integration Package retrofitted onto the car. Attached some picture of it.

My current phone is running Android so naturally I will be using Android Auto (AA). I did try out Apple CarPlay for a while using my technician's iPhone but didn't have much time playing around it.

I use Google Map, Spotify and Whatsapp mainly with AA.

Google Map: If you have used Google Map on your phone before, it more or less works exactly like it was on the phone. I use voice input mainly to enter destination. For more complex destination, I will enter the address on PC or phone first, then it will be recorded down as recent searches in AA. Last choice of input is to use the wheel knob to enter address, which could be tedious if you are entering street name etc.

P.S. I prefer Waze over Google Map, am just waiting for Waze to be launched on AA. Will switch over to Waze when it launches.

Spotify: Work exactly like on the phone itself. Perfect except for a few things. Changing track require more steps than without AA (i.e. using BT with NTG5). You need to navigate the cursor to the [Next Track] icon and depress to change track as compared to just turning the wheel knob when using BT with NTG5. I have to change my habit to use voice input to change track.

Whatsapp: I use voice input to send message out to friends, message will be read to you when you have receive one. However incoming group message won't be notify, nor can you send out a message to a group chat. Incoming voice message will not work as well, you won't be able to hear the recorded message, nor can you send a voice message.

Pretty satisfy with AA.

20160930_150404.jpg

20160930_204220.jpg

20160930_204232.jpg

20160930_204243.jpg

20160930_204250.jpg

• Like 3