• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Blackvue Power Magic Connection

clariwee

Bought and installed my blackvue and power magic pro combination at one of the authorized installer. Every time I unlock and enter the car after a long period of parking such as overnight, the blackvue will announce that "Blackvue is shutting down". Initially it will stay shut down until I went back to the shop. They couldn't find the cause of the issue and replaced the power magic pro unit to try. Now it is slightly better - it will shutdown and power up after I started the engine. It is functional but hearing it shut down and power up is a bit annoying. One thing is, when it is parked only for a few hours, this will not happen.

Went to open up the fuse box in the passenger footwell, saw that the power magic is connected to fuse no 71 as per the diagram below. It is for the "socket, load compartment" according to the fuse diagram. I believe that is the socket in the boot and don't think there is anything wrong with that. 

Anyone with similar setup on their W176 can advise?

26871442270_8769c0c7be_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with the installation, it is tapping the correct fuse.

Problem is the power magic pro. Lousy device for its price. Also it doesn't properly protect your battery - even at the highest setting, it discharges too much of the battery before cutting off the power supply, which will lead to premature battery failure. The Lukas one is much better although generally, these things aren't very reliable. Very common for them to give problems or fail completely within 2 years.

I prefer not to use the car's main battery in the first place. Best option is still Cellink. Only issue is the size... positioned mine in the glove compartment so takes up quite a bit of space.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the installation, it is tapping the correct fuse.

Problem is the power magic pro. Lousy device for its price. Also it doesn't properly protect your battery - even at the highest setting, it discharges too much of the battery before cutting off the power supply, which will lead to premature battery failure. The Lukas one is much better although generally, these things aren't very reliable. Very common for them to give problems or fail completely within 2 years.

I prefer not to use the car's main battery in the first place. Best option is still Cellink. Only issue is the size... positioned mine in the glove compartment so takes up quite a bit of space.

Yes, I used magic pro previously and had the same issue. Basically, its just lousy. Switched to cellink and no issues thus far for more than 2years.

• Like 1

I had Power Magic Pro on my previous ride and it didn't give any problem with the main battery. As for Cellink, I did ask the installer for it. He asked me about my driving pattern and advised that no point installing for me cos I go from home to office to home most days and office is quite near home. Will not have time to charge up for it to last.

Yeap...one of my office friend also go problem using PMP...have to call in AA to jump start his car twice in a week. Now, I think twice about installing it...

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

Yeap...one of my office friend also go problem using PMP...have to call in AA to jump start his car twice in a week. Now, I think twice about installing it...

One work-around is just to buy a jump start kit. Simple to use and always good to have in the boot.

• 2 weeks later...

I would strong advice using 'Power Magic Pro' or any form of external battery pack. You can check with C&C as there was a case in 2015 where the battery pack exploded and caused damage to the interior (not sure if other circuitry is affected or not). C&C rejected claims and probably may have void warranty (partial) too which is common across few authorised distributors/agents here for few makes.

Ummm.... lotsa things can explode in the car if you suay. Distributor will always find any reason to deny responsibility for everything. 

How many stories have you heard of handphones exploding in people's faces, but you haven't junked your smartphone right?

It's about making educated choices. Citing one isolated case and making sweeping statements isn't very helpful...

• Like 2

Just to share, I've been on 2 celllink external battery setups on 2 separate platforms over the past 3.5 years and its been behaving perfectly fine. The newer celllink batteries have a better designed capacitor (super capacitor apparently whatever that means). Both systems were installed at my goto car audio shop (this matters a lot to me as they've always done a proper wiring job!)

I would strong advice using 'Power Magic Pro' or any form of external battery pack. You can check with C&C as there was a case in 2015 where the battery pack exploded and caused damage to the interior (not sure if other circuitry is affected or not). C&C rejected claims and probably may have void warranty (partial) too which is common across few authorised distributors/agents here for few makes.

Ummm.... lotsa things can explode in the car if you suay. Distributor will always find any reason to deny responsibility for everything. 

How many stories have you heard of handphones exploding in people's faces, but you haven't junked your smartphone right?

It's about making educated choices. Citing one isolated case and making sweeping statements isn't very helpful...

I believe chaicka is sharing with us one incident he is aware so that we are in the loop.

Having said that, I agree that a trusted workshop to do wiring is very important. Can share which one pcube?  :lol:

U can PM me.  ;)

I agree with pcube. As with all things technology, it's always a matter of heng suay. 

I drove VW Golf before my current car. Given the high publicity of the 7-speed dry DSG issues, I must say I was lucky not to have any GB breakdown. In fact the juddering issue stopped for my car after their recall campaign as well. Oh and I had the Power Magic on the Golf for almost 5 years without any battery issues as well. Most lasted about 2 years as they should before they were gone.

I believe chaicka is sharing with us one incident he is aware so that we are in the loop.

Having said that, I agree that a trusted workshop to do wiring is very important. Can share which one pcube?  :lol:

U can PM me.  ;)

Hi LYH, 

Sorry no workshop to recommend... I like to tinker with cars so installed it myself. I've done this for my last 4 cars already. It's actually quite straightforward, and I can give you instructions if you plan on giving it a try. 

U can PM me.  ;)

Well, the Mercedes case is just one of the more recent case.

I have been using drive recorders for >8 years now, started off with importing from Japan - Fujitsu TEN DREC2000 when drive recorders are rare and few and most workshops do not carry quality ones like Fujitsu TEN (cost me S$900+/set), then Korean ones like FineVue, Lukas, etc.

Some of the BlackVue models have a long history of issues such as overheating causing auto shutdown, sensitive to type/quality of SD/microSD, fail to write when cabin temperature is high and still not fully resolved despite several revision. Its external battery pack is also random luck of issues.

Anyway, just sharing so that others make informed decisions. I definitely agrees that having a trusted workshop to do electrical wiring is very important. Have seen over the decade cases of battery drain due to wrong wiring, not to mention the consequences of it (affected other areas of the car).

• Like 1