• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

7G Tronic aka 722.9 Mercedes Transmission Advance Repair Training Literature

CH_OldMerc

Hi All,

Would like to share attached literature found on internet concerning the 7G Tronic transmission for affected MB models

From what I understand, this seems to be inevitable fate for all 7G Tronic gearboxes. Or am I wrong?

From what I gathered, the problem seems to be on:

* Valve Body

* Certain Electronic Control Module housed within the 7G gearbox

* Software related

Symtoms include jerkiness between gear shifts and gear shift to Neutral when car is moving. 

Repair seems complex and need to be reprogram software at authorized service centre with computer.

Repair bill runs in several thousands it seems.

Anyone would like to share his/her dreaded experience on this subject and would like to know if this transmission problem has since been resolved for post 2006/2007 units?

I am concerned as will be comitting on an W211 E230 equip with such transmission.

Thanks.

722.9 advanced training_052004_en_TN.pdf

• Like 1

Hi Bro

Yes, seems like this electro plate have a life span, the symptons as what you describe

for mine, it was no gear change although the dashboard shows gear change.

It broke down when I was in Hatyai !

Was very miserable thinking how the hell I going to bring this car back to Singapore for repair, as it was weekend, just relax and on sunday nite, decide to google for mercs service centre

heng heng got one near my hotel 3KM again, drive down to let them check, after all the diagnotics, they say that plate kaput

No choice have to change, parts send in from Bangkok, stay another 2 days, they work slow and steady........

total bill including labour $1.5K !

Was telling myself I sway then heng or what

if repair in Singapore outside workshop at least 3K +

The symptom dun comes altogether, but you will feels it

so if u got 6 mths warranty, go make noise and get them change if you feel that something is not right.

good luck and enjoy your E230

You will enjoy it most on the NSHW, 150KM/H, zai zai  and no sweat, still got a lot more to go !

Hi Bro AHYEO,

Wah Kau. Think you sibeh Heng!  Haha. Joking.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the 7G gearbox. Pray hard I don't kena. Haha

Yes. On expressway, E230 seems exteremly well adapted to speed at low rpm (i think only 1850/1900rpm @ 90+km/h) . A pleaure indeed to cruise creamily smooth.

But come to twisty winding road with multiple speed humps (like old Holland Road), i think it's not so nice to drive as can hear engine growling slightly and car keep hunting for the right gear at 30/40km/h speed.

Hi Bro AHYEO,

Wah Kau. Think you sibeh Heng!  Haha. Joking.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the 7G gearbox. Pray hard I don't kena. Haha

Yes. On expressway, E230 seems exteremly well adapted to speed at low rpm (i think only 1850/1900rpm @ 90+km/h) . A pleaure indeed to cruise creamily smooth.

But come to twisty winding road with multiple speed humps (like old Holland Road), i think it's not so nice to drive as can hear engine growling slightly and car keep hunting for the right gear at 30/40km/h speed.

E230 is well know for this one, especially  when you want to overtake, it takes it own sweet time to find the correct gear,

unless u press the accelerator hard or you use Sport mode all the way.

You will get used to it

after a while, you go try drive other car jap car etc... you will find them noisy and slow :)

Hi Bro

Yes, seems like this electro plate have a life span, the symptons as what you describe

for mine, it was no gear change although the dashboard shows gear change.

It broke down when I was in Hatyai !

Was very miserable thinking how the hell I going to bring this car back to Singapore for repair, as it was weekend, just relax and on sunday nite, decide to google for mercs service centre

heng heng got one near my hotel 3KM again, drive down to let them check, after all the diagnotics, they say that plate kaput

No choice have to change, parts send in from Bangkok, stay another 2 days, they work slow and steady........

total bill including labour $1.5K !

Was telling myself I sway then heng or what

if repair in Singapore outside workshop at least 3K +

The symptom dun comes altogether, but you will feels it

so if u got 6 mths warranty, go make noise and get them change if you feel that something is not right.

good luck and enjoy your E230

You will enjoy it most on the NSHW, 150KM/H, zai zai  and no sweat, still got a lot more to go !

It seem that servicing and repair of Merc is cheaper up north.

Maybe I should also do my servicing there...

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

Been a week now since I am driving this 8.5yrs old W211 E230. Sync-ing well with it gradually over these couple days and understand how to best handle it. Haha. Can feel most of the gear shift unlike my previous cvt Jepun car. Nevertheless, it's more engaging to drive with real gear shift feel and really hope that with proper gearbox maintenance, the 7G tronic can last long w/o giving me headache.

It seem that servicing and repair of Merc is cheaper up north.

Maybe I should also do my servicing there...

Mercs Service center is not cheap in Malaysia, I was told after conversion from ringgit to S$, it is the same as servicing in Singapore C&C, parts are also more expensive in Malaysia

In  Thailand, it is really cheap from my experience, I think they charge me labour of 4000 baht to replace the hydroelectro plate ! 

Been a week now since I am driving this 8.5yrs old W211 E230. Sync-ing well with it gradually over these couple days and understand how to best handle it. Haha. Can feel most of the gear shift unlike my previous cvt Jepun car. Nevertheless, it's more engaging to drive with real gear shift feel and really hope that with proper gearbox maintenance, the 7G tronic can last long w/o giving me headache.

Yes. Finding a good workshop in JB is surely a good idea to save some $. I'll be looking for one soon (probably in JohorJaya area) and will share the contact here should I find them good.

A lot of JB workshop can change mechanical parts, but not many have the star diagnotics device to do diagnostics

But labour charge in JB is cheap, so best buy parts in SG and go JB to replace them

But ensure that you get the correct parts ! else go there dismantled leow , seow leow lor....

I know a workshop in Tampoi, malay mechanic,chinese boss

went there to change my engine mounting as my other chow ah beng mechanic buay siew, dunno how to dismantle to reach the engine mounting...

initially though he buay siew one as he ai mai ai mai slowly

Then later see the way he do, very systematic but slow and steady, wah expert leh, I got eye no tarzan :)

His wheel alignment skill lagi best, tune and tune until he satisfied, not I satisfied hor.... best is 4 wheel alignment only cost RM55 !

Yes. Finding a good workshop in JB is surely a good idea to save some $. I'll be looking for one soon (probably in JohorJaya area) and will share the contact here should I find them good.

Hey Bro CH_OldMerc

You can play rally driver leow, change to manual gear shift, just push the gear level left or right :)

Forgot to tell you, the ATF must change when the mileage is due, this one very important hor, I asked Gallop when buying other parts, $10 per bottle, cheapest I source

But dunno how many bottle needed for E230, any bros can advise ?

The guy at Gallop say maybe 8 bottles ??

Haha bro AHYEO,

haven't played with manual gearshift yet on my W211 E230.

By the way, found a more interesting read on the 7G tranny here:

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/365242-diy-722-9-7g-tronic-7-speed-automatic-transmission-service-thread.html

• Like 1

Can I also check with all bros here if engine cooling takes longer time than Jap cars? I find that my W211 E230 engine quite hot still after many hours of sheltered parking. Temperatures are in normal range just that it heat up quite rapidly and takes longer than expected to cool down. Just wanna be sure it's normal. Thanks.

• Like 1

Mercs Service center is not cheap in Malaysia, I was told after conversion from ringgit to S$, it is the same as servicing in Singapore C&C, parts are also more expensive in Malaysia

In  Thailand, it is really cheap from my experience, I think they charge me labour of 4000 baht to replace the hydroelectro plate ! 

A lot of JB workshop can change mechanical parts, but not many have the star diagnotics device to do diagnostics

But labour charge in JB is cheap, so best buy parts in SG and go JB to replace them

But ensure that you get the correct parts ! else go there dismantled leow , seow leow lor....

I know a workshop in Tampoi, malay mechanic,chinese boss

went there to change my engine mounting as my other chow ah beng mechanic buay siew, dunno how to dismantle to reach the engine mounting...

initially though he buay siew one as he ai mai ai mai slowly

Then later see the way he do, very systematic but slow and steady, wah expert leh, I got eye no tarzan :)

His wheel alignment skill lagi best, tune and tune until he satisfied, not I satisfied hor.... best is 4 wheel alignment only cost RM55 !

Bro Ah Yeo,

Share contact and address leh...thanks.

Transmission 5.2ltr

Torque Coverter 4.0ltr

Cooler 0.3ltr

Wah Bro CH_OldMerc

thanks for doing all the homework !

So the guy at Gallop is correct, we will need 10 bottles of the ATF for E230

Saturday just change my idle pulley due to aeroplane sound, one workshop quote me $135 for 1 original idle pulley + labour to change !

I called Gallop guy, $12 for the idle pulley for OEM brand, went to another workshop to replace, labour $16 take only 15 minutes job........ release tensioner to take out belt, unscrew pulley, replace new pulley, release tensioner to put back belt, done !

WTF, first workshop samurai sword beli sharp lor

Btw, the idle pulley that was replaced was an original one that I replace at a famous workshop in tampines last year only..... ! ! !

so, original does not meant ho lor, also my is old car leow, cheap cheap can leow

Wah Bro CH_OldMerc

thanks for doing all the homework !

So the guy at Gallop is correct, we will need 10 bottles of the ATF for E230

Saturday just change my idle pulley due to aeroplane sound, one workshop quote me $135 for 1 original idle pulley + labour to change !

I called Gallop guy, $12 for the idle pulley for OEM brand, went to another workshop to replace, labour $16 take only 15 minutes job........ release tensioner to take out belt, unscrew pulley, replace new pulley, release tensioner to put back belt, done !

WTF, first workshop samurai sword beli sharp lor

Btw, the idle pulley that was replaced was an original one that I replace at a famous workshop in tampines last year only..... ! ! !

so, original does not meant ho lor, also my is old car leow, cheap cheap can leow

Bro,

How come you all servicing and repair always so cheap...

I always kana chopped carrot going to expensive workshop.

Please PM me the contact for JB engine mounting and local workshop for pulley.

Thanks. 

Yes bro AHYEO,

Please share where you get all the cheap cheap servicing lobang workshop places hehe.

You can drop pin / geotag on google map for sharing

At least we know now you buy parts from Gallop, hehe.

http://www.gallopauto.com/products/products.aspx

Bro,

How come you all servicing and repair always so cheap...

I always kana chopped carrot going to expensive workshop.

Please PM me the contact for JB engine mounting and local workshop for pulley.

Thanks. 

Yes bro AHYEO,

Please share where you get all the cheap cheap servicing lobang workshop places hehe.

You can drop pin / geotag on google map for sharing

At least we know now you buy parts from Gallop, hehe.

http://www.gallopauto.com/products/products.aspx

You see hor, mar si li..... u drive into the workshop, the boss oredi samurai sword waiting for you.

bcos it is suppose to be a luxury car, so those driving one suppose to have $$$ except me ....

as for spare parts, there is a sticky on where to get them.

I did some comparision and find that Gallop price quite ok, but not all things are the cheapest lor

So you just need to call and ask those listed, also my E230 old car leow, no need to use original parts, OEM is good enough and much cheaper and OEM also produce for Mercedes only no merc packaging....

Last time I got a misconception that Merc needs specialize workshop to do.

But this proof to be not true, you  just need good mechanic ! and proper diagnostic tools.

Hey, Bro CH_oldMerc

Have you change your ATF ?

If yes, please post update, I read the link you gave, not a easy task leh, mine due in about 13K, so wanna find out a good workshop to do it, which meant to drain old all the old ATF...etc

Will PM you guys the JB and local workshop, no good dun blame me hor :)

Haha,

Me sama sama thinking as you.

Unsure if ATF really need to change yet? So far no problem on gear shiftings. OC discourage in spending $ now to do this and that since our E230 can drive over a year + more nia. Better check first.

My thinking is best to get expert opinion from a reliable workshop mechanic soonest to checkup all things. Service record with C&C was until mid 2013 only. After that no one has any record... can't really trust car dealer 100%. All they can assure you is 6 month warranty on engine and transmission....

Haha,

Me sama sama thinking as you.

Unsure if ATF really need to change yet? So far no problem on gear shiftings. OC discourage in spending $ now to do this and that since our E230 can drive over a year + more nia. Better check first.

My thinking is best to get expert opinion from a reliable workshop mechanic soonest to checkup all things. Service record with C&C was until mid 2013 only. After that no one has any record... can't really trust car dealer 100%. All they can assure you is 6 month warranty on engine and transmission....

Take their so called 6 month warranty with a pinch of salt

When things happens, they will ask you, you got go to their authorized workshop top service or not etc......

yes, you should get your car checked to see any repairs need, also the last engine oil /ATF change etc......

again I have lobang for cheap mobil 1 engine oil :)

but sold in 1/2 dozen 1 qtr box

Dear All,

Found another piece of official Mercedes Diamler published literature on the 722.9 tranny servicing/troubleshooting guide.

<This brochure is also intended to help you diagnose and repair technical problems and to explain the interrelationships between problems and remedies>

Happy Reading :D 

722.9_tips.pdf

Hi All,

Manage to dig up some history on my Y2007 E230 from C&C earlier today.

Was super lucky to speak to an helpful SA there who was willing to share more info after I provided the chassis number.

To send in for Diagnostic 33 points check will cost S$150+GST. Booking through online.

* 7G transmission unit - valve body changed with software updated under warranty

* Aircon evaporator changed in 2009.

* No major accident repair done at C&C.

* last servicing record done at C&C in Y2013 by 1st owner. No servicing history for past 3 years

* last mileage recorded was 135K+ km at C&C, so obviously my mileage was tampered! I bought it with odometer showing 137,800km

Was advised that the common problem is always the 7G gearbox. Having changed the valve body itself will not guarantee trouble free later on. Neither is with routine ATF change/flushing. Won't help much to extend the gearbox lifespan according to SA. This gearbox unit is not built to last forever so should I plan to keep the car for longer time, be prepared to change the whole gearbox set which will cost approx. S$21K! 

Other than this, no specific major issue with this model.

Now I finally understand why bro Ken100 W211 E280 tranny is beyond economical repair!

Sounds kinda scary sia.... sweat! :o

Hi All,

Was super lucky to speak to an helpful SA there who was willing to share more info after I provided the chassis number.

To send in for Diagnostic 33 points check will cost S$150+GST. Booking through online.

* 7G transmission unit - valve body changed with software updated under warranty

* last servicing record done at C&C in Y2013 by 1st owner. No servicing history for past 3 years

* last mileage recorded was 135K+ km at C&C, so obviously my mileage was tampered! I bought it with odometer showing 137,800km

Was advised that the common problem is always the 7G gearbox. Having changed the valve body itself will not guarantee trouble free later on. Neither is with routine ATF change/flushing. Won't help much to extend the gearbox lifespan according to SA. This gearbox unit is not built to last forever so should I plan to keep the car for longer time, be prepared to change the whole gearbox set which will cost approx. S$21K! 

Now I finally understand why bro Ken100 W211 E280 tranny is beyond economical repair!

wah, like that cannot extend COE leow

but should last 1o years bah.

but then, routine ATF change still a must

btw, your car only left 1 year plus, so pray very very hard lor

my also ending feb 2008, I also pray hard hard lor :)

Hi All,

Normally nobody ever change the whole transmission brand new.

C&C only use brand new gear box

Outside re-cond gear box is just as good as new

I have checked around for my W221 7G gear box, basic repair range from about 2K to 5K

Worst case scenario if many parts damaged beyond repair and has to change to a whole set re-cond gear box is 10 K. 

10K divided by 10 years extend COE is only 1K a year  :lol:

Anyway for W211 body scrap value is only 1.5 to 2K. Buy over the whole scrap car and salvage the gear box. Remaining sell as scrap metal still can get a few hundred back.

By the way, e-throttle gadgets like "S xxx Booster" is a killer for gearbox. So be careful when you use it.