• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New car prices and CoE

PearlJam

When CoE dropped the last round, car dealers dropped their prices. C&C dropped the price of the C180 to $170'000

Now CoE has rebounded by $8'000 and apparently C&C will adjust the price up accordingly.

Now I cannot understand this.  Why should the last CoE affect the new price list?
If you book now, no one knows if the next CoE will go up or go down.

What is the logic of this 'reaction' to the last CoE prices?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logic is $$$.

Vendor must be SEEN reacting to the momentum of economy.

IMO :- Distributor/s should be restricted to focus only on the sale/promotion of their vehicle.... I don't understand why they should have a hand to participate in the "COE" purchase portion too.

Go to any showroom with your own COE and you will understand what it meant....

Just my 2cts worth..

If CoE has dropped, car distributors drop their prices but that does not mean the CoE in the next round will be the same or will go down.

So this whole charade of 'reaction' is really very strange.

It makes me conclude that certain people are able to collude and control the movement of the CoE prices but I could be wrong.

And, no prizes for guessing why the LTA does not do anything about this.

Nor MAS,  nor CASE.

Exactly, buyers should be the one who bid.  But the whole system has been engineered such that the majority of buyers are not able to bid their own CoE because they lack the financial muscle.

And the CoE rebate level is mostly a joke.

And the prevalence of 'over-trade' means that, usually, the average buyer is not able to buy a used car directly from another owner because the sums do not make sense.

Order a car and tell them you do not have a trade-in, you do not get any discount.

Trade in your old car and there is over-trade.

There is some 'masking' of the real prices of the cars.

Something is wrong with the system.

If CoE has dropped, car distributors drop their prices but that does not mean the CoE in the next round will be the same or will go down.

So this whole charade of 'reaction' is really very strange.

It makes me conclude that certain people are able to collude and control the movement of the CoE prices but I could be wrong.

And, no prizes for guessing why the LTA does not do anything about this.

Nor MAS,  nor CASE.

Exactly, buyers should be the one who bid.  But the whole system has been engineered such that the majority of buyers are not able to bid their own CoE because they lack the financial muscle.

And the CoE rebate level is mostly a joke.

And the prevalence of 'over-trade' means that, usually, the average buyer is not able to buy a used car directly from another owner because the sums do not make sense.

Order a car and tell them you do not have a trade-in, you do not get any discount.

Trade in your old car and there is over-trade.

There is some 'masking' of the real prices of the cars.

Something is wrong with the system.

Well said,

I feel there is "something wrong" with the system too.

• Like 1

if we look from another view, there is "nothing" wrong.

cos they have "control" of the bidding system instead of free market. haha.

if COE is bid by car buyer, no normal person(s) will bid for COE at the current prices.

just like they have control over the "privatised" public transport. :devil: