• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Driving in to JB @ night

Done that several times already, either for work or for leisure. Most recent trip drove up to KL for a day trip. Parked at the shopping mall and left for Sg after midnight.

Things I do to minimise risk.

1. Avoid ulu and dark places.
  2. If parking in shopping mall, I look for brightly lit lots that are beside a wall (my logic is that its harder to manoeuvre with a wall on one side, as compared to cars that can drive off after some time).
  3. Park head in (I'm driving the A-class).
  4. Steering wheel turned to the max in the direction that the car would hit the wall if its reversed.
  5. Steering wheel lock, the kind that looks like a hook, that hooks the steering wheel and the brake pedal.
  6. I don't keep stuff in my car, so if someone looks into my car, they can see that its bare, no cushion, nothing on the dash board etc.

One thing to add, you might want to park near to the lift lobby in shopping mall/hotel as the human traffic is higher make it a lower chance for your car to be a target

Done that several times already, either for work or for leisure. Most recent trip drove up to KL for a day trip. Parked at the shopping mall and left for Sg after midnight.

Things I do to minimise risk.

• Avoid ulu and dark places.
  • If parking in shopping mall, I look for brightly lit lots that are beside a wall (my logic is that its harder to manoeuvre with a wall on one side, as compared to cars that can drive off after some time).
  • Park head in (I'm driving the A-class).
  • Steering wheel turned to the max in the direction that the car would hit the wall if its reversed.
  • Steering wheel lock, the kind that looks like a hook, that hooks the steering wheel and the brake pedal.
  • I don't keep stuff in my car, so if someone looks into my car, they can see that its bare, no cushion, nothing on the dash board etc.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Impressed can be tow this way. But will it damage the electronic brake or gear cos not in neutral?

LOL bro I think when a thief wanna steal your car, although they try to minimise cosmetic damage or other damages, doubt they will consider so much cos limited time to steal a car mah. 

Impressed can be tow this way. But will it damage the electronic brake or gear cos not in neutral?

Not sure about other car brands, but for mercedes I heard from the towing service person yesterday who towed my car to the workshop, that even if put on handbrake and parking gear, it can still be towed away without causing any damage to the car. As mercedes are rear wheels drive, no need neutral or release handbrake since the towing lift up only the backwheels where parking and handbrake are engaged. I was very skeptical at first, but my car turn out fine with no gearbox damage after arrival at workshop. At the workshop, I double check with the mechanic and he said the same thing. Only exceptions are four wheel drive vehicles which need to be lifted up on all four wheels and the new audi models which have very sensitive senors which will otherwise locked the steering wheel if not tow on all four wheels lifted up. Whereas for Jap cars, they will lift the front wheels as those are front-wheel drive. 

• 8 years later...