• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Run Flat Vs Normal tyres

paralleluni

Good day to all,

Would like to enquire from the members down here on your views. Im currently running on Run Flats. Come stock from C&C.

For Run Flat Vs Normal tyres, I understand that most folks would support Normal tyres.

A member previously mentioned to just simply fit up a TPMS to monitor pressure, get remedy before it goes totally flat. Or get a patch up equipment for tyres from Autobacs. Also noted feedback that FC suffers with Run Flat and that they are more ex than normal tyres.

->But I have tried both Run flat and normal tyres previously and the FC diff is minimal. - Appreciate comments from bros here on their experience

->One of my friends got a tyre puncture but was not fully deflated (approx 75percent with air). Drove approx 5km and by the time he reached the tyre shop, his rim was damaged and he spent money to change to a new set (diff design). It was stock rim so heart not so pain. Question is for bros who change to expensive rims ($4k ++), if you are running on normal tyres, when there is a puncture, would you not risk getting that rim damaged permanently? Run Flats can still protect the rim for a minimum distance of approx 50km. - Appreciate comments

Thanks all.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Puncture can cause a rim damage? Care to share more details?

I had driven both Run flat and normal tyre . Based on my opinion .

Run flat

Can still drive up to 100km on 80km/h while it's flat (more than enough for u to run far)

More bumpy ride

Shorter lifetime (max I heard was 40k km)

Normal tyre

Have to patch / replace tyre when it's flat

Comfortable

Last longer( some claims their tyre can last 80-90k) I ever had one tyre set lasted me 100k km with still 10% thread

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Might be able to repair

Perimeter of the rim got bent. the part closest to the road.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Sgp so small and tyres shop everywhere .. to damage a rim even though puncture, the driver has to be quite careless or simply finding reason to change rims

for me .. It will be normal tyres.

RF too hard, noisy and expensive.

To be safe a tyre inflation kit will be handy .. but if just a small puncture it shld be able to get u to the nearest tyre shop without using it.

But if worry then stick to RF lor

I had driven both Run flat and normal tyre . Based on my opinion .

Run flat

Can still drive up to 100km on 80km/h while it's flat (more than enough for u to run far)

More bumpy ride

Shorter lifetime (max I heard was 40k km)

Normal tyre

Have to patch / replace tyre when it's flat

Comfortable

Last longer( some claims their tyre can last 80-90k) I ever had one tyre set lasted me 100k km with still 10% thread

Thanks for the input bro.