• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

If given choice to start over, would you have bought W204 again?

Guest angela

If given choice to start over, would you have bought W204 again? Yes or no. If no, what car are you lemming for and what model?

For me: No, I am lemming for Lexus IS250.

What about you?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bachie, :welcome: to Sgmerc.

Would be good if you can do some intro on yourself since this is your 1st post in this forum, instead of voting other car make in a Merc forum .

Hi all

I'm sorry for the lack of introduction :3some:

I just got my C200. It drove okay on the first few days then i start to find some faults in it which I didn't see before. I think I am so engrossed with its good looks that I overlooked the cons. I test drove Lexus IS250 recently and wished that I had bought Lexus instead.

Don't worry, i'm not from Borneo Motors :D

I am just trying to find out if other owners feel the same way too.

No problem Bro....

Think the Merc and Jap's are 2 diff cat and style kind of car, that's why most active member here prefer to keep another Jap's beside our all time favourite....MERCEDES BENZ

Drove our C180 for one month, never regret getting but my husband still would have loved to have bought the Audi A6. Ha ha its the wife that makes the last decision..... :swduel:

This will be a new phase......

No more " Go with your heart......is

Go with your wife.

Actually i don't own a car, but if i have the money to buy a conti 4-door saloon, i would prefer an Alfa Romeo 159. I dunno why, but Alfas are quite attracting to me right now and it's very exclusive. Quite rare on the roads...the only alfa i have seen myself is the 156 that my primary school teacher had and it's very good looking. From that day onwards i have set my sight on owning an Alfa at least once in my life...

Actually i don't own a car, but if i have the money to buy a conti 4-door saloon, i would prefer an Alfa Romeo 159. I dunno why, but Alfas are quite attracting to me right now and it's very exclusive. Quite rare on the roads...the only alfa i have seen myself is the 156 that my primary school teacher had and it's very good looking. From that day onwards i have set my sight on owning an Alfa at least once in my life...

Let me tell you a little true story...

For years I yearn for a BM because of its renown handling, stylish looks. However each time I needed to buy a car I ended with the Merc equivalent...

SLK R170 vs Z3, SLK

320 vs C Class W203, C Class Avantgarde

BMW 523 vs E Class, E Class

Well I can only say 1 thing, no regrets. My W203 was a lemon from day 1, going back to workshop wkly to have parts replaced and redo. Luckily all sorted out within 3 mths & made myself a 'name' at Pandan Svc Ctr. Most of the folks know me by my surname. haha...

Before Alexandra C&C came abt, it was Pandan for kopi & tuna puff.. haha.

Frankly, I like you yearn for all hot cars that gets your emotion going when you see the looks. However to satisfy that need you probably need to get the top spec of each class.

I asked myself 1 qn, do you buy the car for others to see or for yourself to enjoy within. Merc's design philosophy behind every feature is amazing. When I sit in the car and soak in all the frills, you truly appreciate what Merc is all about. The comfort and style associated with it is always timeless.

Before W204, the c class is a laggard in Merc collection of cars. Afterall Merc's best selling car is still the E. Guess W204 changed all that.

If you look beyond the 'ah pek/towkay' E class and look at all the frills, the E is truly amazing....

ok ok.. over sell liao... haha

Actually i have been in both the Merc and the Alfa and i would agree with you. But in the Alfa i did feel something unique in it not just in the looks and exclusivity but also the soul and passion being put in by the Italians...

well i guess different people have different opinions about things...

Guest kopimonster

If given choice to start over, would you have bought W204 again? Yes or no. If no, what car are you lemming for and what model?

bro, dun think of the past, since you bought it, enjoy it! look ahead instead. so the question should be...."what car to buy next" ;D

anyways...welcome on board :welcome:

the alfa looks very sexy and exciting...but it has very poor resale value lei.

merc is an intelligent and comfort car, BMW looks si bei swee, superb handling .....so i guess spoilt for choice.

best is to own all three! haha...

Guest kepiting1sg

Actually i have been in both the Merc and the Alfa and i would agree with you. But in the Alfa i did feel something unique in it not just in the looks and exclusivity but also the soul and passion being put in by the Italians...

well i guess different people have different opinions about things...

Ah Pek here like to share some of my Alfas' stories with U.

I dunno about the Alfas nowadays.

Probably a lot of improvements have been made by now.

Bring me back to my young days...hehehehe...made me feel all young again. :bboyspin:

In those days like most Conti cars, they were not built for the tropic especially like Fiat & Alfa.

They tend to rust all over the places. Next why came the Rust-proofing business in SG.

I've 30+ years of driving experience and among the cars I owned were 3 Alfas.

Alfa Romeo 1300GT Junior with twin Solex caburretors

Alfa Rometo 2000GTV with twin weber caburretors

Afla Romeo 33 1.7 Boxer Engine

Got into friends 60s Alfa Romeo Guiletta, 70s Alfa Sud & Alfa Romeo Spider.

It was a world of Alfas then. Sleep, Eat, Dream Alfas!

My old mechanic used to describe Alfa Romeo in Cantonese as "Ah Fa Lor Men" - "Miss Flower take life"

Most Alfa owners should know Mr. Lim the Alfa mechanic in Eunos.

To keep those cars in tune, I have to visit my mechanic at least once or twice a month.

Perf. mod nowadays is so much easier than my time for eg. chipping, piggy back ecu, turbo & supercharging,etc,

Those days I used to have handful of air & fuel jets and drive the Alfa 2000 GTV

to the unfinished road on the ECP leading to the Changi Airport.

Whacked the car up, to see how's the acceleration goes, take out the spark plugs to see the carbon on them.

Re jet the carburretors and keep repeating until U get satisfactory performance.

The roar of air rushing into those twin weber caburretors with 4 air intakes were a joy to the ears.

Some perf mods still dun change from old days like racing cams, cam timing & headers.

sigh......those car did took away lots of my weekends but they sure was a joy to drive.

Once I hit 200 km/hr on the Nicoll Highway with the souped up 2000GTV

eating up a 1st Gen E21 BMW320.......Young, hot headed, silly probably :wifstupid:

Do they still make Alfas like those goode old days??? :banghead:

Somehow it might still got the charm and still probably charming guys like U :welcome:

BTW I have owned a W123, W124 & now into my 3rd Merc W203(my ride 19th in SG)

My preference....ummm....depends what U are looking for :swduel:

What about you?

Where's the Vote for "YES" ???

What about you?

May be it is not an option ??? :laugh:

my dad told me this, and i feel its really so.

Merc is to be Driven

BM is to Drive

...actually, in my experience: with a previous BMW I was driven up the wall (electrical problems and service attitude); then with a previous Lexus, I was driven to put lots and lots more miles (213,633 km to be exact) into it; now, with my Merc, I drive and drive and drive...

Jenvid ]

What about you?

Where' wrote:

May be it is not an option ??? :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

What about you?

haha :P I don't know how to create depth in the poll. If Yes, can just post it bah :')

Guest tategoi

W204 is too noisy to my liking. I came from BMW E60 520i. It may not be fair to compare a C and a 5, but after looking at the boot floor, whereI can see all the bare metals, and not a single damping material used, I am just disappointed to see the built quality of the W204. I am not sure if nowadays E-Class got any damping in the boot areas.

W204 is too noisy to my liking. I came from BMW E60 520i. It may not be fair to compare a C and a 5, but after looking at the boot floor, whereI can see all the bare metals, and not a single damping material used, I am just disappointed to see the built quality of the W204. I am not sure if nowadays E-Class got any damping in the boot areas.

from 520, its only right u should compare to e200. the c is comparable to e 3 series. u should have checked out the e200 & maybe purchased it. but the hp on the c200 class (lighter) is the same as e200 (heavier). so, c should be faster, in terms on performance, then the e...