• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Fuel tank flap

sgspurs

Hi,

The fuel tank flap of my e class seemed to be slightly opened. it can never close 'tightly'. Anyone has the same issue or is this normal ?

Whether the engine is on or off, i can just pull open the flap. It doesn't seem to be able to 'lock' like other cars.

Any advise ?

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this, to make sure it locks

1. check fuel cover closed

2. lock car

3. try opening fuel cover.

If it opens it could due to the orientation of the fuel cover or something to do with the push(lock/unlock) mechanism

The fuel cover is slightly open to allow vapor coming from fuel to escape if you notice closely while you are pumping petrol there is this vapor coming out from the fuel pump which is slight visible by naked eyes.

Most other cars uses a lock and unlock method, from the driver seat u have to either push or pull the fuel cover switch to have it open but on Merc and BMW and some other makes, you just push down the fuel cover while the car is unlock and it will pop open. So it could be different it depends on what car you see. I had many instances of accidently open the fuel cover on my C class as I lean on the car.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Engine on or off is nothing to do with locking mechanism. When u lock your car can the flap open? If yes, locking mechanism issue, get it check.

There is a rubber thingy attached to the fuel cap. This rubber thingy has to be routed properly or the fuel cover wont close flush with the car body. Happens all the time to me. Just open the fuel cap, re-route the rubber thingy, close the fuel cap and close the fuel cover.

Thanks for all the help. Okay. When i locked my car, i can't open the flap either by pressing it down or 'lifting' it open

Once car is unlocked, the flap can easily be open either by pressing it down or 'lifting' it.

Seems like this is normal then.

Thanks for all the help. Okay. When i locked my car, i can't open the flap either by pressing it down or 'lifting' it open

Once car is unlocked, the flap can easily be open either by pressing it down or 'lifting' it.

Seems like this is normal then.

Yes is normal.