• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Comfort 'C' vs Sport 'S' mode

Guest NCS

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read on the manual, it say S is supercharge lei, i also find that when i put to S my car power improve alot lei.

Hahaaa.... Your 'S' for supercharge ??? Hahaa...... Veri funny......

Please allow me to share my experience.

C203 180K Sport Edition Dec 2006

After some trials, I now use "S" mostly.

I use "C" only when there is a traffic jam and the traffic is crawling - it is more comfortable as the car starts in 2nd gear.

Leave in "S" and it can get quite jerky and uncomfortable, plus the car gearbox hunts up and down 1st -2nd-3rd gears when the traffic is very slow.

However I did a test and discovered that when using "C" mode, my petrol consumption actually was worse, not much, maybe about 5% to 10%!

Anyway my driving is mostly in town, usually single person in car, short trips, very little expressways and I get only about 7.7 km per litre. Car tyres pumped up to 37 psi.

Guest RedDevils

I use "C" only when there is a traffic jam and the traffic is crawling - it is more comfortable as the car starts in 2nd gear.

Leave in "S" and it can get quite jerky and uncomfortable, plus the car gearbox hunts up and down 1st -2nd-3rd gears when the traffic is very slow.

However I did a test and discovered that when using "C" mode, my petrol consumption actually was worse, not much, maybe about 5% to 10%!

Anyway my driving is mostly in town, usually single person in car, short trips, very little expressways and I get only about 7.7 km per litre. Car tyres pumped up to 37 psi.

Funny, thought "S" mode should consume more petrol. That's what the C&C mechanic told me.

But logically speaking, wouldn't a car with a wrong gear ratio (that is start in 2nd gear) consume more petrol?

Cheers!

Funny, thought "S" mode should consume more petrol. That's what the C&C mechanic told me.

But logically speaking, wouldn't a car with a wrong gear ratio (that is start in 2nd gear) consume more petrol?

Cheers!

Car start at gear 1 can relax, drink 1 tiny weeny sip of patrol to move forward,

start at gear 2 need more energy drink to move forward,

that y he say C mode FC worse

imagine u riding a bicycle, u start lowest gear to move forward, use little bit energy to move forward then u try moving at a higher gear, u now need more leg muscle which waste energy

Guest morganoh

Noitalogesto ]

Funny, thought "S" mode should consume more petrol. That' wrote:

Car start at gear 1 can relax, drink 1 tiny weeny sip of patrol to move forward,

start at gear 2 need more energy drink to move forward,

that y he say C mode FC worse

imagine u riding a bicycle, u start lowest gear to move forward, use little bit energy to move forward then u try moving at a higher gear, u now need more leg muscle which waste energy

U are Right.

I read an article on the web , stating that more fuel will be burned if u take your time to accelerate slowly from rest to a cruising speed.

Just a simple test with and without the SprintBooster will show less fuel is burn with SprintBooster.

When my car is stock, the fuel burn is 13-14L/100km (7-7.7km/L) when I maintain around 3000-4000rpm everytime I accelerate from 0 to 80km/hr,

and with the car is cruising at 90km/hr the fuel burned is 10.8L/100km (9.25km/L)

I just did a test with my all mine mods (High flow cat, header, quad exhaust, sprintbooster, K-box+pullery, )

now the fuel burn is 9-10.5L/100km (9.5-11.2km/L)when I maintain around 3000-4000rpm, accelerating from 0-80km/hr

and with car cruising at 90km/hr the fuel burned is 6.4L/100km. (15.6km/L)

(I'm now a very happy man :bboyspin:)

Guest morganoh

i was told by the SE that C would increase FC. but after reading what you guys said is right. so technically would be better to drive in S?

Only if u control the rpm .

example

If u always accelerate not above 3000-3500 rpm in "C" mode,

U should do the same in "S" mode.

By not going above 3500 rpm , and with the car in "S" mode, the car will reach its cruising speed earlier, and also cruising rpm (2000rpm at 80km/hr) earlier

And therefore save fuel

Instead of driving in "C" mode , car responses slower n u will drag your car at 3500 rpm for a longer period of time before reaching cruise speed and cruise rpm.

S - Sport

yeah. my manual says S - Sport For all normal driving conditions.

i was told by the SE that C would increase FC. but after reading what you guys said is right. so technically would be better to drive in S?

Only if u control the rpm .

example

If u always accelerate not above 3000-3500 rpm in "C" mode,

U should do the same in "S" mode.

By not going above 3500 rpm , and with the car in "S" mode, the car will reach its cruising speed earlier, and also cruising rpm (2000rpm at 80km/hr) earlier

And therefore save fuel

Instead of driving in "C" mode , car responses slower n u will drag your car at 3500 rpm for a longer period of time before reaching cruise speed and cruise rpm.

i tried today. drove about 50km. combination of highway and surface roads. first time i saw my FC go below 10L/100km, well, at least for my W211.

yeah. my manual says S - Sport For all normal driving conditions.

nice, mine say S - Standard For all normal driving conditions

but then... u got the sport version for ur W211... hmmmm...