• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Engine Temperature Enquiry

Guest 5725

Dear all bro/sis. This is the first time i post in the forum. Would like to check on something about W124.

I have been driving W124 for few years and always got one doubt in my mind. When i was stuck in the jam at checkpoint, my temperature gauge reading will goes from 80->90->100->110. This increase of temperature takes about 1 to 2 hours and by the time it goes to around 110, i passed the jam and so cant see if the temperature will keep going up and up. Is it normal. BTW, i drive 91' 8valves. Hope any bro/sis driving W124 can advice. :pray:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear 5725, welcome to the forum and please accept our congratulations on your first post. :yumyum:

Could you further elaborate on your temperature situation by letting us know if the aircon is constantly turned on throughout the jam and whether you have had your radiator fan modified to run at the highest speed setting ?

Quite dangerous to go past 105 IMHO. My concern is the long term damage the heat soak under the bonnet may cause premature wear and tear to the surrounding components.

i have modded my fan to operate once my engine started.

the air con is on throughout. i guess is the outside temperature that create the temperature raise. When i am struck in the jam at night or raining day, my temperature is lower around 100 and never go up again.

under hot sun, it will go up further.

fan direct on. sure FC higher, but never mind, at least temp stays low!!

stuck at jam at night or raining day hover ard just below 100....

just asking is your reservoir leaking??

its true that outside temp affects the temp.

remember mike's never see any above 80!

mine if hits 100, i worry alot!!

bro. did you struck in a jam like mine before? daylight in woodlands checkpoint for 1 to 2 hours under hot sun?

i have asked my workshop and MBM before. They did a check and told me no problem at all.

But keep seeing my temperature going from below 80 to 100+ keep making me worry about the overheating issue.

So i really want to know if my situation is normal for W124 owner.

One more thing, i noticed that when i put my gear to "P", then the temp is lower. the one that goes close to 110 is when start /stop situation while i am holding the brake all the time.

bro. did you struck in a jam like mine before? daylight in woodlands checkpoint for 1 to 2 hours under hot sun?

i have asked my workshop and MBM before. They did a check and told me no problem at all.

But keep seeing my temperature going from below 80 to 100+ keep making me worry about the overheating issue.

So i really want to know if my situation is normal for W124 owner.

One more thing, i noticed that when i put my gear to "P", then the temp is lower. the one that goes close to 110 is when start /stop situation while i am holding the brake all the time.

i'm stuck in jams @ woodlands too!!

when you put to P or N, your temp goes down, due to engine rpm is higher, which makes your engine fan blow faster. i had this type of problems before, and found that my air-con fan not activating!

wonder the fan switch is .... oh by the way, your temostat is for which temp range, do you happen to know?

oh. so my w124 is having problem liao.

usually, when driving on the highway, the temperature can go as low as 1 slot below 80.

Once it go in a jam, the temperature goes up and up till it come out from the jam.

I am not sure the range of my temostat. But i know it will spin faster when the temp go above 100.

Guest sirBenz

usually, when driving on the highway, the temperature can go as low as 1 slot below 80.

Once it go in a jam, the temperature goes up and up till it come out from the jam.

I am not sure the range of my temostat. But i know it will spin faster when the temp go above 100.

hey bro, welcome aboard. Here list of items u can check and do for you car.

1) Replace Expansion tank cap ( cheap abt $10)

2) Replace Thermostat of lower rating

3) Do entire cooling system flush

4) Check all the water jackets are ok

5) Check radiator for leak

6) Check water pump

running aux fan at high speed will put huge stress on the alternator and battery.

Look who's ride is in the workshop today getting both alternator and battery swapped. ::) Adding to the stress are 2 power hungry amplifiers, and a 1 farad capacitor. Bleedin' it dry bro...

Guest sirBenz

running aux fan at high speed will put huge stress on the alternator and battery.

Look who's ride is in the workshop today getting both alternator and battery swapped. ::) Adding to the stress are 2 power hungry amplifiers, and a 1 farad capacitor. Bleedin' it dry bro...

I feel you bro... since u got 2 power zapping amps..u shld uprate ur alternator.... did u?

6) Check water pump

Thanks bro. will try to check all these again.

Guest damagecar

6) Check water pump

Item 2 will lower down the temp. I used to change this twice a year.

1991-w124.

Try not to modify the fan to continously run at "turbo" speed. You will dun like the fan noise..hehe.

6) Check water pump

Item 2 will lower down the temp. I used to change this twice a year.

1991-w124.

Try not to modify the fan to continously run at "turbo" speed. You will dun like the fan noise..hehe.

bro. what you mean by "I used to change this twice a year" ?

Guest wuyiche

I recall with fondness the W124 I used to drive .. same problem I had too. I recall sending the car back to MBM on numerous occasions just to get it sorted. Finally, they did sort it out ... and it drove like a dream..

I understand from MBM that under no circumstances that the temp should go above 100.. it means that there could be a radiator leak (or at least that was what happenened in mycar)... which involves changing the entire radiator (and thus $$..). the older cars may have corrosion setting in which would explan the leak.