• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W212 Black Box on Top of Main Battery

Asure7

May I know what is the black box on top of the main battery under the hood for?

Heard that for some models the Cabin (aircon) filter is located behind glove box, while others say its in the box on top of the main batt.

But when I removed it to change batt, it was empty inside.. 

not sure whether there should be anything in there :/

Can see that its connected to outside air inlet though...

Are you referring to this box?

This box merely channel external air into the cabin.

post-178-0-81928800-1381201400_thumb.jpg

Air is channelled from the left opening to the right opening which can open & close when u press the air recirculating button. Note that there's a rotating cylinder fan inside the right opening.

post-178-0-59522500-1381201522_thumb.jpg

Hi jtang,

yes that's the box I was referring to.  I was wondering if there is supposed to be a filter there, and whether it's for sale :)

Can see that you DIY using the 3M filtrete.

Your Varta battery looks interesting too ! Which model is it?  Looks different from Silver Dynamic :)

Yes...I DIY with 3M filter in a demo that I did, so that my air recirculating button is left off all the time. Incidentally, hope you noticed that your air recirculating switches off by default after 20 mins. Don't get exos smell anymore....best of all, during the recent heavy haze....it worked very well. However, the filter needs to be replaced every 3-4 months.

post-178-0-15737600-1381202769_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-36479900-1381202796_thumb.jpg

The Varta batt is the VARTA start-stop PLUS battery (AGM technology)

post-178-0-47309600-1381203297_thumb.jpg

I gave up the normal batt after 2  died on me within 1.5 yrs. C&C replaced them under warranty, but I chose to get my own outside at my expense. This batt is not the usual type, it uses gel instead of batt water. It's twice the wt of the normal batt, & twice the cost. It's used for cars with the ECO start/stop feature.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I gave up the normal batt after 2  died on me within 1.5 yrs. C&C replaced them under warranty, but I chose to get my own outside at my expense. This batt is not the usual type, it uses gel instead of batt water. It's twice the wt of the normal batt, & twice the cost. It's used for cars with the ECO start/stop feature.

Hi jtang, may I know where you change your batt? And how much is it? Heard that the original is also Varta, but C&C charged me about $700 for the main batt change and I am not keen in going back to them again for batt  :growl: .

$700 for a battery ??

I also have this Varta AGM start-stop plus battery on my other ride .. very expensive compared to normal ones but still just abt 50% of what SeeNSee is selling for whatever they giving u

this Varta batt is good. Normal batt can't last a yr in my ride but this lasted 2.5yrs.

denwee is right, the Varta AGM batt is very strong & long lasting. Its still going strong after 2.5 yrs.

The Batt is about $350....call Khai Wah Batt & tyres at Tagore. Look for  Fred at 62926700

Jtang,

Just watch out .. near EOL very steep curve.

I went away for 3 days come back .. conk liao.

But I hv a monster that sucks batt juice for bfast ..

Lol...Thks for heads up. Car is already to sold to my friend. So far so good as we meet up every Sunday.

denwee is right, the Varta AGM batt is very strong & long lasting. Its still going strong after 2.5 yrs.

The Batt is about $350....call Khai Wah Batt & tyres at Tagore. Look for  Fred at 62926700

Thanks, for the info! 

Yes, CnC charged me about $530 for the batt and $120 for labour, so almost $700 for just the batt change if GST is added.

Not like changing batt is a major operation. Sigh.

No offence meant, but am very puzzled why would anyone want to change battery with SeeNsee???

Even conk flat .. lots of recovery options from AA to neighbourhood batt shop.

Even call tow truck tow to batt shop still much cheaper with lots of change ...

Ganna like dat chop carrot ? very pain leh ...

Double confirmed zee best!!!!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)