• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Engine ON during Refueling

nala

Actually, scientifically, mechanically, logically, there is no reason why a car cannot be refuelled with the engine running. It is not great for health and environment, but it wouldn't be more of a hazard than if the ignition was switched off.

This practice is called hot refuelling. You see it often for racing cars. Some of the endurance racing cars are nothing more than strengthened road cars. I've seen low budget teams refuelling with regular petrol station nozzles.

Hot refueling.....just like the military refueling a helicopter with the rotor still spinning. I like.

Just some stupid OT, Can u imagine a fighter pilot switching off the engine in a mid air refueling? For safety reason mah....

Hot refueling.....just like the military refueling a helicopter with the rotor still spinning. I like.

Just some stupid OT, Can u imagine a fighter pilot switching off the engine in a mid air refueling? For safety reason mah....

Actually both hot and mid air refuelling for military aircraft are conducted for purely operational reasons. Due to the risky nature of such operations, there are SOPs to be followed. The risks taken are calculated, regulated and controlled. 

Some civilian helicopters engage in hot refuelling primarily for 2 reasons - to save time or to save turbine cycles and such risks are not encouraged to be taken by safety advocates in the aviation industry. Where permitted there are also strict guidelines to be followed - eg no passengers to be inside the aircraft, no refuelling under adverse wind conditions ...

There's also a big difference if you are comparing the flash points of aviation jet fuel and petrol. Petrol vapour is easily ignited. Jet fuel vapour much less so.

• Like 2

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Actually both hot and mid air refuelling for military aircraft are conducted for purely operational reasons. Due to the risky nature of such operations, there are SOPs to be followed. The risks taken are calculated, regulated and controlled. 

Some civilian helicopters engage in hot refuelling primarily for 2 reasons - to save time or to save turbine cycles and such risks are not encouraged to be taken by safety advocates in the aviation industry. Where permitted there are also strict guidelines to be followed - eg no passengers to be inside the aircraft, no refuelling under adverse wind conditions ...

There's also a big difference if you are comparing the flash points of aviation jet fuel and petrol. Petrol vapour is easily ignited. Jet fuel vapour much less so.

Ah finally someone with intelligence. Good explanation. Not crap like other post.

Ah finally someone with intelligence. Good explanation. Not crap like other post.

Actually, the post by nightfly did not explain why it is actually any more dangerous or not to refuel a car in a petrol station, with or without the engine running. I have no doubts about nightfly's intelligence but please elaborate as to why it is a good explanation, vis-a-vis original discussion. Apart from opinions and conjecture, no hard facts have been presented in this topic/thread so far.

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.

- Albert Camus

Actually no need to discuss why can or cannot leave engine on. The point is moot. It is simply illegal to leave your engine while refuelling at a station.

"No person who is in a petroleum or flammable material dispensing station shall dispense petroleum or flammable material or both into the fuel tank of any vehicle while the engine of the vehicle is running." - extract from Fire Safety Act, Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations 28-(3)(B).

And in case anyone is wondering what the penalty is  Regulation 59 states

"Any person who contravenes any of the provisions of these Regulations shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both."

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Actually no need to discuss why can or cannot leave engine on. The point is moot. It is simply illegal to leave your engine while refuelling at a station.

"No person who is in a petroleum or flammable material dispensing station shall dispense petroleum or flammable material or both into the fuel tank of any vehicle while the engine of the vehicle is running." - extract from Fire Safety Act, Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations 28-(3)( B).

And in case anyone is wondering what the penalty is  Regulation 59 states

"Any person who contravenes any of the provisions of these Regulations shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both."

Thank you for this piece of legal information.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/display/view.w3p;ident=026ed632-da41-46d1-8573-e327fabc59b6;page=0;query=Id%3A581bed9c-a6d2-47ce-8b89-11359f6f6436%20Depth%3A0%20Status%3Apublished%20Published%3A16%2F02%2F2005;rec=0;resUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fstatutes.agc.gov.sg%2Faol%2Fsearch%2Fsummary%2Fresults.w3p%3Bpage%3D0%3Bquery%3DId%253A581bed9c-a6d2-47ce-8b89-11359f6f6436%2520Depth%253A0%2520Status%253Apublished%2520Published%253A16%252F02%252F2005#pr29-he-.

Perhaps this is an antiquated law that should be repealed? 

The law dictates what is legal or not but it doesn't determine right or wrong, possible or impossible.

Importation of chewing gum is illegal.

Speeding is illegal, but not everyone that exceeds the speed limit instantly immolate themselves. I suspect that driving above the speed limit is done with greater regularity than what is admitted.

Pursuing the vein of safety, particularly of fire, is there any reason why it will be any more dangerous filling petrol with the engine running than if the engine is switched off. Some have brought up points that are about the general hazards of handling petrol but the danger is not negated by the engine being switched off.

I am intrigued by how the human mind works, especially logic and reason.

- Albert Camus

I simple man and lazy mind, so don't want to know. Just off engine and go shopping in air con comfort. Mmmm.... Should I take the coke or coke lite? Maybe grape juice? Man.... Even buy drinks must think so much.

• Like 2

I simple man and lazy mind, so don't want to know. Just off engine and go shopping in air con comfort. Mmmm.... Should I take the coke or coke lite? Maybe grape juice? Man.... Even buy drinks must think so much.

daffy ask "Why you choose grape juice and not barley water?"

Namie wants you to drink Coke Zero.

amuro-coke.jpg

- Albert Camus

Okok....yours is the more refine one....the one my daughter has will ask you si mi LC.... Maybe manufacture from different region...

• Like 2

Spoon feeding teaches you nothing....but the shape of the spoon...