• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Newbie reporting r172

Hi all bros!

Collected my ride last week and have been enjoying every moment in it! Upgraded to 19" staggered as well as Matt black rear diffuser. 1 thing to check. I noticed my headlight fogs up badly after driving in the rain. Tried a few more times driving in rain and the condensation is sure to happen. Did some research but can't seem to find any solution. Any bros here have the same experience?

Mines a PI unit so forget abt trying to seek warrenty. I tried asking but given the "it's normal" answer. Mines with the ILS. Any tips pleaseeee?

Welcome! New car headlight fogging is common but if the problem persists is not a norm.

• Like 1

Welcome! New car headlight fogging is common but if the problem persists is not a norm.

Hey. How to quantify the duration for new ride before fogging is automatically solved? It fogs up quite badly but will all be gone in 1.5 days. Even in light shower it fogs up too. Read abt "breathing pores" of MB headlight which causes this? Sorry this is my first MB and also the first car that fogs up hence manyyyy qns!

Hi iona, welcome!!

It's a nice ride!! Enjoy...

Yea man, loving it!

PI workshop also ever told me new mercs have fog up headlights but it should disappear over time. I did recall my ride having some fog up when new, though I am not fortunate enough to own a R172. Don't see the fog up problem anymore.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

I have lLS too on R172. Only fogs up if I blast water at the lamp access flap in the wheel arches when washing car. I've driven in very heavy rain before and it has never fogged up due to that.

Fogging will go away over time especially in hot sunny weather.

Perhaps your access flap is not secured properly. Turn your wheel full lock to one side and see if you can inspect that flap. It is directly behind the head lamps.

Thanks for the tip! Will give it a try if the fogging still happens in 1-2weeks time. Bought a tube of clear silicon to standby alr LOL

Mine used to fog up as well when I first collected the car. Went away after probably about 2-3 weeks? Don't worry it's normal.

hi bro, relieve to see this. really hope mine will be normal soon. Can't believe it's happening to a new ride! Fogging is such an eyesore!

I don't recommend the silicon really because this issue went away naturally for me. If you silicon the gap that was designed to be such, the water vapours already inside may have no way out... And you end up damaging the lights instead of saving them.