• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Canon EOS60D vs Nikon D7000

Angchug

I think the biggest concern is with the warranty. I just wonder if the failure rate is so high that really required local warranty because the price diff is pretty high. e.g Price diff for a canon 5D m2 kits is almost $1k. Should I go for ebay, Ddelectronics or AD ? Do i really need local warranty? Find it hard to decide as I only use it once or twice a year for family outing.

I think the biggest concern is with the warranty. I just wonder if the failure rate is so high that really required local warranty because the price diff is pretty high. e.g Price diff for a canon 5D m2 kits is almost $1k. Should I go for ebay, Ddelectronics or AD ? Do i really need local warranty? Find it hard to decide as I only use it once or twice a year for family outing.

As long as you get a local Canon warranty, it is ok to get from Ebay Singapore and buy it off the shop and make sure that is is a Canon dealer. Honestly, I am not a avid photographer and just helping my wife doing some research on pricing and technical model comparison since she wants to embark into this hobby.

You mentioned "Find it hard to decide as I only use it once or twice a year for family outing" and if you are not a professional or semi-professional user, then I would think that the new Canon 650D should be more than sufficient to take decently good photos and it comes with the latest Canon Digic 5. Also, since you will be storing in hot and humid weather in Singapore, it will be good to buy a dehumidifier cabinet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Personally, i am using Canon system. For lenses and flash, grey items or even 2nd hand items are ok because most of them are built like a tank, and for lens failure is quite uncommon. I have used more than a dozen lenses and only encountered 1 lens failure, and that is a second hand lens. The only issue with lenses is that they are susceptible to fungus growth so do invest in a electric dry cabinet.

For bodies I would recommend getting local warranty as they are more prone to problems; sensor issues, hot/stuck pixels, electronics, lcd display, etc. Lucky me, been through 3 bodies but none with any problems so far.

If you are only using it once or twice a year, I will recommend getting the 600D, similar quality to 650D but with a smaller price tag. Or you should also consider the G1X or G12, great quality in a compact body, and you can save on a dry cabinet too. :)

I guess I can learn some tips from you guys this moving Sunday. I actually bought a canon 5D Mark 2 last week from UK and hope they could delivery by this sat. I do have 2 big digi dry cabinets at home, wife using it for her bags, watches n a G12. For us everything is point n shoot on auto mode until I did some research recently. I finally understand the meaning of all those icons on the dial. I love to see n learn how you guys make use of the setting, iso, F , shutter..... I am a avid golfer not a photographer. Hehehe