• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Run Flat Tyres (RFT)

10 hours ago, daimlerfan said:

Hi Bro/Sis,

Does anyone have a recommended tyre shop to go for run flat tyres?
Been calling different places but i found that RFT are quite rare and the the price varies  .... headache ... 

Thank in advance..

Cheers

I have been buying RFT tyres from tyrepac in the past in my last car. Bought over 3 sets for my last car and the prices for that profile was reasonable. I had tried Hankook RFT in the past, but I felt that they wore out too quickly, so in the end I went back to Bridgestone and Continental. 

I have been using RFT for quite a while and I can say it's the benefits of having it that is more important. Like for like tyres, RFT should cost more, how much more, I guess (my wild guess) should not be more than 30%.

I have experienced before when my wife drove the car over the kerb and caused a big cut on the sidewall of the tyre. That happened in the middle of the night on Sat and I could still drive around the next day trying to find replacement. 

Most recently last month, I got a screw stuck in the tyre in JB. The TPMS gave the alarm. I could drive back to SG, and go the workshop the next day to have it patched. Drive to the workshop and get it patched without having the need to change tyres myself if it's a spare tyre. That very same day, I had a colleague who happened to by using normal tyre and had a flat in the office. He tried to replace them and found that Vovle has upgraded the rims and didn't have provided the tools to remove the nuts. In the end got to get the tow truck to send back to agent to fix.

I worked in Tuas area and often get sharp things on the road, so to me RFT is the best for me.

To me, the increase in cost and supposedly more noise and less comfort is fine and is overridden by the benefit of minimal downtime and convenience.

20 hours ago, eng98 said:

I have been using RFT for quite a while and I can say it's the benefits of having it that is more important. Like for like tyres, RFT should cost more, how much more, I guess (my wild guess) should not be more than 30%.

I have experienced before when my wife drove the car over the kerb and caused a big cut on the sidewall of the tyre. That happened in the middle of the night on Sat and I could still drive around the next day trying to find replacement. 

Most recently last month, I got a screw stuck in the tyre in JB. The TPMS gave the alarm. I could drive back to SG, and go the workshop the next day to have it patched. Drive to the workshop and get it patched without having the need to change tyres myself if it's a spare tyre. That very same day, I had a colleague who happened to by using normal tyre and had a flat in the office. He tried to replace them and found that Vovle has upgraded the rims and didn't have provided the tools to remove the nuts. In the end got to get the tow truck to send back to agent to fix.

I worked in Tuas area and often get sharp things on the road, so to me RFT is the best for me.

To me, the increase in cost and supposedly more noise and less comfort is fine and is overridden by the benefit of minimal downtime and convenience.

Am not familiar with RFT. Can I ask in your run flat tyre incidents, were you driving with a fully deflated tyre? Car manual says can still drive at 60-70km/h for 40-50km on a deflated RFT.

thank you all for the active discussion and suggestions.. staying on the same topic,  

1) my current RFT are 205/55/R16. Will a 225/50/R17 fit well? Or do I have to visit a shop to try on the size in order to know the answer? 

2) Any bro/sis upgraded from R16 to R17? if so, any critical points to look out for? 

Thank you for your valuable opinions.. 

9 minutes ago, daimlerfan said:

thank you all for the active discussion and suggestions.. staying on the same topic,  

1) my current RFT are 205/55/R16. Will a 225/50/R17 fit well? Or do I have to visit a shop to try on the size in order to know the answer? 

2) Any bro/sis upgraded from R16 to R17? if so, any critical points to look out for? 

1) If you're changing from R16 to R17 i presume you're changing rims for sure. If you're changing rim, note the rim width anything 7.5j and above you're good to go with the 225 tires. 

2) If you're changing from R16 to R17. An inch increase in rim size is a 5mm reduction in tire profile size. Which in this case your 55 will go down to 50.  So 225/50/R17 will fit perfectly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daimlerfan said:

225/50R17 are rare and cost more, you may want to consider 225/45R17 instead as tire shop may offer a better price.

offset of 225/45R17 is +0.4%, so at 100kph speedo you are actually traveling at 100.4km/h, your need to be traveling at 250kph to experience a 1kph difference between speedo and actual speed.

you may have a stiffer ride as you now have less side wall to absorb the bumps from our very rough roads.

On 12/31/2016 at 9:14 AM, kingfisher07 said:

Am not familiar with RFT. Can I ask in your run flat tyre incidents, were you driving with a fully deflated tyre? Car manual says can still drive at 60-70km/h for 40-50km on a deflated RFT.

The difference between normal tyres and RFT is that RFT have strong side wall. So even when it is deflated, the sidewall will still hold up the car and move. It is supposed to be safe to travel below 80km/h and I tried to keep below that. So far for the past few times no issue. 

For those that are leaking and can still hold some air, like a leaking hole caused by the screw in the most recent incident, I tried to inflate it back to the normal pressure as much as I can so that the wear in that tyre will be as close as to the rest - I know this is stupid for that short distance (max 50km) I will cover till I got it fixed , but it's something that I feel good about.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1