• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C180 7G getting noiser

Hi Everyone,

Noticed lately that my C180 7G is getting nosier, both road noise and engine noise. Mileage done is about 6000 km. Thought of changing the CSC5 tires to a quieter make, what is the quietest tire in the market now? Does insulating/sound proofing the spare tire compartment helps to reduce road noise ? Do not want to dismantle anything within the car to do sound proofing, is there anything else I can do to bring down the noise? Just want a quiet ride, thanks guys,      

Yap C class road noise is bad. Sound proofing yr car will add on more weight. Usually i will turn up my audio volume and enjoy my drive.

• Like 1

Ha ha, that is one way to dampen the noise. What I find strange is that when new it was quite but after just 6k mileage, noise is obvious . CSC5 tires are noisy,... any quieter tire around? Does sound proof the trunk and spare  tire compartment helps at all? Thanks

Yes it does after paying for it. :). Tires was told CSC5 is better road noise.

Yes it does after paying for it. :). Tires was told CSC5 is better road noise.

ya...once you sign on the dotted line...

car value drop by 5 figures

car became noisy

car became under power

car suddenlt doesnt look as nice

You're dethpicable. 

No lah, value drop coz u didnt zhng wannabe c63 lah.

Noise is music to my ear if u mods the open pod thingy :)

Under power? coz u didnt join us to clear carbon!!

Not nice? Still love my ride deep deep.

Hi Everyone,

Noticed lately that my C180 7G is getting nosier, both road noise and engine noise. Mileage done is about 6000 km. Thought of changing the CSC5 tires to a quieter make, what is the quietest tire in the market now? Does insulating/sound proofing the spare tire compartment helps to reduce road noise ? Do not want to dismantle anything within the car to do sound proofing, is there anything else I can do to bring down the noise? Just want a quiet ride, thanks guys,      

No need to dismantle anything, just insulate all the wheel wells and boot well will help to reduce road noise quite a bit.

No need to dismantle anything, just insulate all the wheel wells and boot well will help to reduce road noise quite a bit.

Thanks Wishbone, do you mean those spray on type of insulation onto the 4 wheel wells or sticking insulation on the interior of the wheel arcs?  

Thanks Wishbone, do you mean those spray on type of insulation onto the 4 wheel wells or sticking insulation on the interior of the wheel arcs?  

Yes, I did not do this for my C180K as the outside noise is bearable and not really that bad.

However, I have done the wheel arch insulation spray and wheel well noise insulation stick-on mat for my previous car.

This is relatively cheap to do and does eliminate a good amount of outside noises without to much hassle.

A friend of mine brought the insulation mat, cut it to size and just place it between the boot floor cover and boot tray.

Still works just as well and will also eliminate the sticky residue you have to deal with when you want to remove it later.

You may want to consider this as an option.

Very familiar tyre. Think it comes stock for some cars...

Nope...the stock Bridgestones are usually the Turanza ER300. That's several grades below GR90. AFAIK, GR90 were never used as factory installed tires for Mercs.

• 1 year later...

my W205 stock is quite well insulated leh compared to my previous ride.. which model is yours?

Just gone to my regular tyre shop and was informed there is PSS on 225/45 R17 size. Previously only avail for 18" onwards for Michelin PSS. Most likely will swop out my CSC5 which only left 10k thread to go on my 2008 W204. Was quoted $225/tyre, anyone knew any better deals?

Also contemplating sound proofing on the rear boot well on dynamat extreme, think will just swop tyres since PSS available before deciding on soundproofing