• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Roof Rails, anybody?

arf-er

Found this on Chinese AilExpress website:

I think it looks pretty cool (MB had probably avoided this in its design to get away from the 'MPV' label - it's a 'sports tourer' after all!)

Downside: I had asked the vendor how they are mounted to the roof, and the advice was to use '3M glue' !!

So, purely cosmetic but nonetheless, a very integrated design that seems to look right, i say.

post-1278-0-57903800-1340724183_thumb.jpg

post-1278-0-95507300-1340724200_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one seems to be interested? I am!!!

Bro Arf-er, did you buy it?

original rails dun use 3M glue!

IIRC they are mounted by screws and are secured safely!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Well, 3M glue/double sided might not seem to be secured compared to screws. But then all window visors are mounted using 3M and they survive for years!

So I guess it's only for aesthetic purpose & U are not gonna put anything on those racks!

Go ahead with your installs!

Hopefully the tapes hold them in place & dun flew off hitting some other road users!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

No one seems to be interested? I am!!!

Bro Arf-er, did you buy it?

Ohh.. no, i didn't get it. The Chinese vendor was not reassuring, insisting that the double-sided tape would work cos they are 'world famous 3M' (Duh...)

It would present a danger on the road; anything on a car should be fixed rigid, and double-sided tape (whatever brand) does not cut it!

The contact areas of the two ends u would notice, isn't very much compared to the apparent bulk and weight of the rail. Go to a manual car-wash, and when they attampt to climb up on your tyre with a yank to the rail, and I'm sure they'll rip right off!

So... no, din pick it up, tho looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...