• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Brake survey

merczoomer

Feeling bored on sunday... Just happen thinking about this:

During parking....once your car in stationary position you normally step in the "hand" brake first then push to "P" or vice versa?

Which way is correct or better?

1. Step in "hand" brake first then engage to "P"

2. Engage to "P" then step in the "hand" brake

:bling:

The right way to stop your car at the end of the journey is to engage your foot brake ( aka handbrake) 1st & then put your gear to P. This is prevent damage & wear to your transmission if the car happened to be parked on the slope. If the car is parked on a flat surface, there's no difference which step is done 1st, but its always good to develop the habit of footbrake 1st, then engage P.

On a slope, the car should be fully rested using the footbrake when stopped. Always ensure that the car does not roll in N with the foot brake fully depressed & then shift to P. If you fail to this, the car's full weight will instead rest on the gears which results in early wear & possibly damage in the long run. It will also make your shift from P to N (when moving off) difficult & loud with shift shock sound...again more damage done to the gears. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The right way to stop your car at the end of the journey is to engage your foot brake ( aka handbrake) 1st & then put your gear to P. This is prevent damage & wear to your transmission if the car happened to be parked on the slope. If the car is parked on a flat surface, there's no difference which step is done 1st, but its always good to develop the habit of footbrake 1st, then engage P.

On a slope, the car should be fully rested using the footbrake when stopped. Always ensure that the car does not roll in N with the foot brake fully depressed & then shift to P. If you fail to this, the car's full weight will instead rest on the gears which results in early wear & possibly damage in the long run. It will also make your shift from P to N (when moving off) difficult & loud with shift shock sound...again more damage done to the gears. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bro... this is really helpful. :thumbsu:

Make lots of sense, thanks!

While you've engaged the foobrake (aka handbrake) and change the gear to "P", once you release your normal brake do you feel the roll back or slight movement? Is this normal for our ride?

Bro..u r doing it not right. When ensuring the car is not rolling with the footbrake depressed, it is done at N. (Release your R foot at the brake pedal after your L leg has depressed the footbrake....all this while the gear is at N.) If it rolls, step more on the footbrake with your L leg till it stops. After you are convinced that the car is fully stationary, shift the gear to P. Now the car should not be rolling or giving any slight movement when shifting to P. The footbrake is now holding the car fully by itself without any assistance from the transmission.

But R is before shift to P... Don't u feel the car will jerk back once engaged from R to P?

You will have to shift it fast from N to P. If there's 1 sec delay while moving to R, the R gear will engage. But if you shift fast while bypassing R to P the R gear will not engage. If you feel better putting your R foot on the brake, go ahead...no harm.

so the procedure is:-

1) R brake to come to complete stop

2) change gear to N

3) step to engage L foot brake

4) Change gear to P

5) release R brake

Is this correct?

You are almost right...

1) R brake to come to complete stop

2) change gear to N

3) step to engage L foot brake

4) let go the R brake to test whether the car is rolling on the slope. If it's on flat ground, skip this step.

5) Change to P by moving fast from N so that R will not be engaged. R brake need not be stepped...but it's ok if you have the habit of steping on it while changing gears,

I think holding the R brake right from the beginning until you complete the process is still safer. Cause this morning I try the step n I scare out of hell....cos the car suddenly move backward... Walau...heng le no one behind my car.

Btw I'm not those fast hand on shifting gear.....

I think holding the R brake right from the beginning until you complete the process is still safer. Cause this morning I try the step n I scare out of hell....cos the car suddenly move backward... Walau...heng le no one behind my car.

Btw I'm not those fast hand on shifting gear.....

Yes...it's an added assurance for safety by stepping on the brake pedal. Factually speaking, the footbrake should be enough to prevent the car from moving if you depressed on it hard enough in step 3.