• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Oil and Water Temperature

Thanks for the reply guys!

Odessus: which are u driving and is it constant below 100 even on a hot afternoon?

Sorry I didn't notice you were asking for feedback from AMGs. Mine is a SLK. Never seen the temperature beyond 100 degrees even on hard driving on a sunny afternoon. Actually it's quite constant for me at 90.

just curious chris.... why the curiosity over the temperatures thingy ? as long as the engine does not catch fire, it is all system go for me. :D

im concern about the temps bcos i dont want to overheat it.. bringing up the topic so we all can know the norm temp range?

bcos without knowing the norm we wont know if its getting too hot yeah?

I don't want to be in the news for fried MB car on the road...

haha i think no1 would want that.. thats also why i always monitor the temps

hmm... I always monitor for hot chicks on the roads rather than the engine temperature on my display.... but this is just me I guess.

I strongly suggest you change from monitoring your engine temperature to monitoring your body temperature. I suspect you may be in heat!

• Like 1

Your owner's manual should cover this. Do read it.

Not sure about AMG models which may be able to run at elevated oil and water temperatures but for most cars,

water temp : do not exceed 110 degrees C

ZoomButt.gif

oil temp : will rise dramatically if water temp hits 100 degrees C and above. Do not exceed 100 degrees C

So what happens if water temp exceeds operating limit? Your car is overheating and is not being cooled sufficiently that can result in blown head gasket requiring a top overhaul.

If oil temp exceeds, then you are looking at internal engine damage as the rotating parts are not longer being lubricated and being heated excessively. Catastrophic engine failure is possible.

Both are serious matters. If the car does exceed the temps stated in the manual, stop immediately and let the vehicle cool down and call for a tow truck. Do not drive further.

• Like 2

7341297598_97c7140d08.jpg

1988 W126 300SE - Schwartz-Blau with grey velour interior/trim

ZoomButt.gif

any regrets for AMG owners? is it a good daily driver?

i was on the M3 previously, changed to a LP560 and looking for a C63 as a daily driver. currently using the E250 coupe as a daily but i have had a soft spot for AMG cars for the longest time and thinking if i should jump right in. the road tax is a killer though, even more than the LP. irks me just to look at it. how do you guys manage it when it comes to the time to pay road tax? that's almost a submariner there.. :startle:

i was on the M3 previously, changed to a LP560 and looking for a C63 as a daily driver. currently using the E250 coupe as a daily but i have had a soft spot for AMG cars for the longest time and thinking if i should jump right in. the road tax is a killer though, even more than the LP. irks me just to look at it. how do you guys manage it when it comes to the time to pay road tax? that's almost a submariner there.. :startle:

Surely the road tax is lower than your monthly installments for the LP. :sword:

yeah road tax for sure is among the highest, but sns said it well "you got to pay to play" (hilarious as it is so true in every sense)... but even my SLS can be a great daily driver... except unfortunately, I am too lazy to drive it every day.

I've had my fair share of exotics and near-exotics... and I can safely say the SLS is my favorite so far, even better than the 458 and California imho. I say this because of the rarity, the unique exhaust burble/crackle/bassy sound of the SLS and the gullwing all compounds to that *you need to own it at least once in my miserable life* statement. It feels so Porsche-like and yet has much more glam factor.

Yes, AMG is a car you need to try at least once in your life. Happy shopping.

• Like 2

i like the comfortable part. i think it's the single most important thing for a daily driver. to be driving to the office on a monday morning, it had better be comfortable. cheers mate, thanks for your input.

I think an S class is more comfortable... but what you want is a car with both "wild" and "submissive" sides. AMG cars fit this ethos well.

yeah road tax for sure is among the highest, but sns said it well "you got to pay to play" (hilarious as it is so true in every sense)... but even my SLS can be a great daily driver... except unfortunately, I am too lazy to drive it every day.

I've had my fair share of exotics and near-exotics... and I can safely say the SLS is my favorite so far, even better than the 458 and California imho. I say this because of the rarity, the unique exhaust burble/crackle/bassy sound of the SLS and the gullwing all compounds to that *you need to own it at least once in my miserable life* statement. It feels so Porsche-like and yet has much more glam factor.

I think an S class is more comfortable... but what you want is a car with both "wild" and "submissive" sides. AMG cars fit this ethos well.

The Maser GT was a good daily, albeit a tad too long (actual length and wheelbase). scrapped the undercarriage a number of times. The Gallardo is just tiresome to drive. I personally think it draws too much from you to drive it daily, but i know some people do. Plus the cold start in the mornings are just insanely loud.

We have always had a soft spot for Mercedes, and actually kept a CLK cabriolet for close to 5 years. There's a S class in the family that i use occasionally, but i'm thinking a C63 sounds like the best of both worlds. comfortable and small enough to daily, and mind blowing torque on the Sunday morning NSHW blast. i know the road tax is nothing much compared to a lot of the other costs, but it's just annoying when it's time to renew. road tax = LNIB submariner = annual insurance. like you guys said, entrance fee to huge displacement, and endless waves of torque.

I think the SLS is an understated gem of a car, especially if you are into the whole Teutonic quality standard. I like the fact the Lamborghini is under VAG. Makes their cars a whole lot more practical and reliable. And in terms of exhaust noise, i still think Maserati takes the cake.

Maybe i should join you guys for the next NSHW blast, if it's alright with you guys. :D

the wolf watch winder works great. cheers mate. bit troublesome to load/unload the watches though. are all winders like that?

Hi pottedplant, yeah... join us bro for the NSHW drive.... will PM you the details. :D

all like that one.... till now, I've personally not encountered a very convenient yet very secure mechanism yet. but it gets easier over time. :)

interesting that you mentioned the maser gt (what I meant was you having driven the m3 and lp560), dont you find the car very sluggish? even the stradale I felt was lethargic... personally would rather drive the m3 than the maser... but to each his own.

however, between the lp560 and 458, the 458 wins hands down as the better daily driver. agree that the lp560 demands more "effort".

i daily the c63. fantastic car.

sure road tax is expensive but i like the phrase "you gotta pay to play".

fuel consumption is OK, averaging 400km/full tank. torquey, comfortable, infotainment system is good, not much more you can ask for.

used to have the m3 too.. more fun on track definitely, but on sg roads, the AMG makes more sense.

road tax is 74xx a year. putting it in perspective, that's more than the bentley, lambo, and ferrari, but still i'd go for it. ;)

The Maser GT was a good daily, albeit a tad too long (actual length and wheelbase). scrapped the undercarriage a number of times. The Gallardo is just tiresome to drive. I personally think it draws too much from you to drive it daily, but i know some people do. Plus the cold start in the mornings are just insanely loud.

We have always had a soft spot for Mercedes, and actually kept a CLK cabriolet for close to 5 years. There's a S class in the family that i use occasionally, but i'm thinking a C63 sounds like the best of both worlds. comfortable and small enough to daily, and mind blowing torque on the Sunday morning NSHW blast. i know the road tax is nothing much compared to a lot of the other costs, but it's just annoying when it's time to renew. road tax = LNIB submariner = annual insurance. like you guys said, entrance fee to huge displacement, and endless waves of torque.

I think the SLS is an understated gem of a car, especially if you are into the whole Teutonic quality standard. I like the fact the Lamborghini is under VAG. Makes their cars a whole lot more practical and reliable. And in terms of exhaust noise, i still think Maserati takes the cake.

Maybe i should join you guys for the next NSHW blast, if it's alright with you guys. :D

the wolf watch winder works great. cheers mate. bit troublesome to load/unload the watches though. are all winders like that?

I pity you guys, having headaches every morning deciding which car to drive........ "LUCKY ME" I don't have this problem, cos I only have a pre-loved car to go from point A to B everyday.........I know how it feels, because I can't see the confused look of my Neighbour who owns 5 cars every morning.......haiz......poor things........

Hi pottedplant, yeah... join us bro for the NSHW drive.... will PM you the details. :D

all like that one.... till now, I've personally not encountered a very convenient yet very secure mechanism yet. but it gets easier over time. :)

interesting that you mentioned the maser gt (what I meant was you having driven the m3 and lp560), dont you find the car very sluggish? even the stradale I felt was lethargic... personally would rather drive the m3 than the maser... but to each his own.

however, between the lp560 and 458, the 458 wins hands down as the better daily driver. agree that the lp560 demands more "effort".

thanks mate.

i thought the GT was pretty alright as a daily drive. a tad sluggish low down, but it's more about the weight than anything else. you can really feel the heft, especially from stationary. the exhaust note makes up for a lot of things, and makes you feel like you are going faster than you actually are. more than sufficient to keep up on local drives. not a slouch on NSHW also. i feel that at its price point, it's the best value for money in the wholesome consideration for an entry level exotic. i think the M3 lacks the final tenth in terms of aesthetic oomph. like the GT, its power comes in higher in the rev band, so always a bit sluggish low down.

the 458 is in a different class, and much more technologically advance than the LP560. would like one, but i can't get over the front splitters (like a mustache), and it's out of my budget. heard the ride is pliant, and the gear changes silky smooth. but since exotics are mostly occasion cars, and on the right occasions, the brutality of the Lambo keeps me in love with it. way too much power for local roads though.

• Like 1