• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Hi newbie here...got some questions..

Guest tre

Hi, am new to this forum. Considering between getting a W124 or renewing my COE jap car. Anyways, I've been reading the posts on this forum & must say it's very informative. You guys are pretty knowledgeable about every aspect of this classic! :)

Well, I've spotted this W124 on sale & would appreciate any comments / advice regarding this particular ride...

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2fYLoIq-1019.html

Thanks guys!

Cheers. ;D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum! ;D

You will find a significant difference in ride quality even with an older Mercedes-Benz. The venerable W124 is built like a tank. If you don't mind spending a little extra on your weekly fuel bill, a well kept W124 keeps on humming.

Now about this 1988 converted 200E, it may be a carburettor model. Better to keep a lookout for a later fuel injected model.

It would be worth your while to go after a 1995 E200 Masterpiece as these are the last batch of W124s imported here and fitted with plenty of extras like rear roller blinds.

The Masterpiece models come equipped with 16 valve fuel injected engines and are smoother and slightly faster off the line as compared with the 8 valve fuel injected versions. Having said that, both engines are equally bulletproof in terms of build quality.

As with most used cars this age, just be prepared to shell out some $$$ on replacement parts. Almost all parts are readily available and quite inexpensive. Averagely, setting aside 3-4grand over the purchase price should really allow you to sort the car out properly.

Some bits you may need to change include (approx prices)

- new aircon condenser unit $800

- steering box

- rear axle shaft

- joints

- gearbox overhaul (changing out the plates etc) $2k

Hi HomerRipper, thks for the welcome :) .....and also the useful info. Well, now I have a better idea of things to look out for.....anyways, thanks again...& hv a great day.

Cheers.

My pleasure! Do come for our meetup at the end of this month. I believe it's happening on 26th April, Sunday at Kallang Carpark F.

We've always got a minimum turnout of 2 W124s with the rest of the bunch made up of newer generation As, Bs, Cs, Es, Ss, SLKs.

Plenty of old schoolers on this board include sirBenz, millionmilebenz, mike, didjitgarcons.. well not old age owners but young fellas with a head for old things. ;D A little adverse to technology I guess.

I'll post here from time to time should a nice E200 come up for sale. In the meantime, happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...