• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Powered Subwoofers

Guest funng

Guest funng

Firstly, Hi to all in the forum. New to this forum/group as well as a new benz driver, hope to gain lots of advice and experience from you all.

Collecting a e200k next week. was thinking of improving the bass, but don't really have the intention to pull out stock parts and put in new components, cause i got to know from the salesgirl that it will affect lots of stuff, esp electronics wise. and also, would cost a bomb to fit in all the stuff, regretted that with the previous car.

thus, i thought of adding a powered subwoofer(most probably a bazooka) to the stock system, thus saving boot space and money! anyone tried this before? is it a good option? any alternatives?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kepiting1sg

Firstly, Hi to all in the forum. New to this forum/group as well as a new benz driver, hope to gain lots of advice and experience from you all.

Collecting a e200k next week. was thinking of improving the bass, but don't really have the intention to pull out stock parts and put in new components, cause i got to know from the salesgirl that it will affect lots of stuff, esp electronics wise. and also, would cost a bomb to fit in all the stuff, regretted that with the previous car.

thus, i thought of adding a powered subwoofer(most probably a bazooka) to the stock system, thus saving boot space and money! anyone tried this before? is it a good option? any alternatives?

IMHO,

The active subwoofer like the Bazooka will add a little "ommp" to your bass but not deep Hz bass down to 20+ Hz.

An alternative which I've been suggesting to ICE kakies who wanna keep their stock system and dun wanna spend to much or cut up their ride.

Speaker output --> High-Low Adapter --> RCA Out --> Processor--> Amps --> Component Speakers (Active X-overs or Passive) + Sub/Subs

If you are not a very "critical listener" a modest budget of about S$2K will get U some pleasing ICE with the above alternative.

Guest funng

Thanks kepiting1sg for the reply. I'm researching your alternative, but to spend 2k on a new car seems rather... i don't know how to explain it. furthermore, the car still belongs to my mum, i won't wan to scare her with a overly loud sound system if she happens to "turn it up on FM958/972.

20+Hz bass? would that feel like "chassis-shattering" bass? cause my friend's Latio has a full component setup which costed $2k+. i actually feel uncomfortable with the whole vehicle jumping to the bass beats. So i'm looking for something which will allow me to feel the bass, but without the whole car vibrating along with it.

20+Hz bass? would that feel like "chassis-shattering" bass? cause my friend's Latio has a full component setup which costed $2k+. i actually feel uncomfortable with the whole vehicle jumping to the bass beats. So i'm looking for something which will allow me to feel the bass, but without the whole car vibrating along with it.

Your friend probably likes the effect so he turned up the bass knob all the way. Come down for the meetup next Sunday and have a listen to some cars with nicely tuned bass. :)

Guest funng

i can just turn up at the gathering? haha. i won't know who to look for. i mean i've yet to join the group, but what's the proper procedure to join you guys? i have to send my info according to someone right? i read in another link.

Procedure Wise -

1. Step out from your vehicle and put your hands behind your back

2. Face the rear windscreen and bend over

3. ID yourself (nickname, name, IC number)

4. We will check to see if you qualify ;D

JUST TURN UP LAH. :P We've got ambassadors to help sort you out.

Guest hoyas

I had an Infinity subwoofer in my Bimmer and it worked wonders for that kind of budget (approx $600+). All I did was connect the self-powered sub to the speaker lines.

My Merc has got really big bass, so I've decided against installing the sub into my car. Have you tried out the W204's sound system? It seems to me that Merc's sound system has pretty good bass, so you may not need a sub after all.

Good luck.

Guest angela

Hi there,

Not sure if there is anyone who feels the same way as I do. I am a new owner of the w204 as well, and i find that the whole sound system is really horrible. Someone here actually classified ICE into 3 categories: 1. Noise, 2. sound, 3. Music..the Audio 20 that comes with the w204 is far worse than noise. I am surprised not many people have spoken up about this and not many installers have done upgrade on it yet.

I have been doing a little bit of research, and would suggest to "funng" too go listen to the Danish Accoustics component speakers. They have really strong mid-bass, and if you are the sort who wants more bass, but not overly heavy, they are ideal. But you still need a decent amp to drive it. If you just put in a 2 channel amp (can get a decent one for less than $500) and a pair of Danish Accoustics Component speakers (about

$750), you will have very good SQ and very decent bass.

kepiting1sg sir, are you able to suggest the brands for the set-up you recommended to keep below $2k? I have read your posts previously and have wanted to follow this set-up, but a good processor like the H701 coupled with C701 is already $1,300plus. I doubt I can have any decent amps plus 2 pairs of speakers (1 pair component and 1 pair coaxial) and subs. I hope you can can give some tips as I am aware you are the ICE GURU.

BTW, I listen to Jazz (mostly guitars), vocals and some house and metal at times.

Many thanks in advance.

Guest angela

Oh yah, and "kepiting1sg" sir, what's your opinion about cables. I was actually given options of all cables:

Cheapest: $240

Highest End: $1,500+

How much diff. in SQ will there be between the 2 options?

Guest kepiting1sg

Oh yah, and "kepiting1sg" sir, what's your opinion about cables. I was actually given options of all cables:

Cheapest: $240

Highest End: $1,500+

How much diff. in SQ will there be between the 2 options?

Dun call me sir lah!

Old unker still very young at heart leh!

IMHO,

Power cables, speaker cables, rca cables,....blah...blah...blah.

Dun spend too much on it like home audio.

Somehow many gurus also say pure silver cables no good for ICE.

Some ICERs swear that the RCA cables that came with your LCD TV, cheap DVD player or even pasar malam RCA also good enough for ICE.

Just make sure that your power cable can carry enough current to feed your hard wares and dun spend too much

on RCAs & speaker cables.

U wan good processor to run "good amp" to drive "good" speakers.

Maybe a 4 channel amp to drive your 2 way components in active

or even amps to drive your 3 way components in active.

Before U do that, how about adding in another amp to drive a sub or 2?

Like that arh??? S$2K sure not enough lah!

S$2K is just for the non-critical listener i.e an Hi-Lo converter to 1 processor to run a bduget amp to drive a "budget" component speakers like eg. CDT and maybe a cheap class D amp to drive a 10 or 12" sub in a sealed box.

Some school of thoughts in ICE like Richard Clark argued until that cows come home that a watt is a watt

when all things are equal and dun spend much on amp too.

I rather spend my money on a good set of speakers and a "good" HU hooked on to a good processor.

I've came to the stage where I am happy with my ICE system and dun wanna do anything more improvement on it for the last 3 years.

That was until a few hours ago......hehehehehehe ;D ;D ;D

Someone from the States emailed me and wanna buy my set of >18 years old 10" subs for nearly US$2,000. :o :o :o

He will pay for the shipping too and this is an offer I find hard to resist even I've to rip off my subs, put in new ones, reinstal, retune the system and the whole vicious cycle starts again. :'( :'( :'(

DA speakers are not bad! ;D

Sound like U are a critical listener.

Our kaki Jenvid is also a VERY critical lsitener too. ;D

I dun like my stock W203 system.

I put in my own ICE system and use the stock ICE as an additional input to my own ICE system.

Guest angela

thanks. Guru indeed. I'm so glad to hear that cables are not that critical.

I won;t be changing my HU, cos I really wanna maintain my steering control.

Think I'll put in an average amp with DA speakers, with cheap cables, w/o the 701 first. That might keep it within 2 k.

Guest kepiting1sg

thanks. Guru indeed. I'm so glad to hear that cables are not that critical.

I won;t be changing my HU, cos I really wanna maintain my steering control.

Think I'll put in an average amp with DA speakers, with cheap cables, w/o the 701 first. That might keep it within 2 k.

Pls. I'm no guru but just another ICE enthusiast. :D

IMHO,

What you plan to do now will be good for a start till your next ICE itch again. ;D

Just the change of the DA speakers will have a quantum improvement over the stock speakers.

Soon U will find yourself missing a sub. ;)

Guest funng

woah. this is getting too advanced for me. haha. but guys, thanks for all the ideas. i'm doing my research regarding the woofers, i.e. reading up stuff about it. but one last thing, "hoyas" said his w204 has great bass but "huatsup" doesn't feel so. does it really come down to personal preference ???

also, anyone has anything to comment on the stock bass of the w211? i guess hearing from experience could help.

thanks so much.

Guest hoyas

woah. this is getting too advanced for me. haha. but guys, thanks for all the ideas. i'm doing my research regarding the woofers, i.e. reading up stuff about it. but one last thing, "hoyas" said his w204 has great bass but "huatsup" doesn't feel so. does it really come down to personal preference ???

also, anyone has anything to comment on the stock bass of the w211? i guess hearing from experience could help.

thanks so much.

Funng, I didn't clarify earlier. Mine's a C219, so sound may vary from model to model. Having said that, my car has the Audio 20, which I think is found in the W204 as well.

Guest angela

Hi,

I'm not too sure if Audio 20 means a completely identical set-up. The W204 could come with different speakers ( mid woofers sound like they are made of van guard sheets or newspapers ). The bass does sound pretty loud when turned up, but very ill-defined. The mid and high frequencies are totally lost, or mixed up like how the prawn paste and ground nuts are mixed up in Rojak.

I have a friend who bought a Honda Civic at the same time I bought my W204. 3 weeks ago we met up to check out each other's new rides. I sat in is Civc and listened to his stereo, pretty impressive considering it is stock. Clear bass, but a little bit too much high frequencies for my liking......Then he stepped into my W204 and I played one of my favourite Audiophile Jazz instrumental album (I can hear a pin drop in my home stereo from this album). His face started cringing after 30-seconds, and after 3 minutes he asked for a plastic bag. His other friend, who does not have a car, also started vomitting (outside the car of course).

This is probably unique to W204, but I am surprised I have not spotted that many people puking next to a W204 yet.

Guest jenvid

err uncle Batam... Me not that critical a listener deh...

the new FL w211 doesnt have a sub. 9 speakers setup is component on all 4 door + a centre speaker.

Went to hi fi shop to fix reverse sensor for my Vito.

End up spending 2K with new head unit with DVD, new screens & woofers.

;D ;D ;D ;D Looks like the Vito can provide outdoor cinema entertainment for the monthly meetup!

Guest mekenics

my old man's w211 also same 9 spkrs

does sound decent compared with most factory setups (total stock)

no woofer but plays well at lower volumes. (I am not into blasting even though i would love to do it do some youngsters in their ICEd-up rides when they try to show off! ;D )

my $0.02 on upgrading ICE...

i am against the hi-lo convertor route (just my own view, so no flamming. i also do not work for any ice installer)

nothing beats a gd source (headunit), plan ur ugrades wisely or it might be a case of throwing $$ into stuff u will wan to upgrade again later & hv to sell off at reduced prices.

all said, u must be happy, afterall its ur $$ u r spending for ur personnal pleasure....

Guest kepiting1sg

my old man's w211 also same 9 spkrs

does sound decent compared with most factory setups (total stock)

no woofer but plays well at lower volumes. (I am not into blasting even though i would love to do it do some youngsters in their ICEd-up rides when they try to show off! ;D )

my $0.02 on upgrading ICE...

i am against the hi-lo convertor route (just my own view, so no flamming. i also do not work for any ice installer)

nothing beats a gd source (headunit), plan ur ugrades wisely or it might be a case of throwing $$ into stuff u will wan to upgrade again later & hv to sell off at reduced prices.

all said, u must be happy, afterall its ur $$ u r spending for ur personnal pleasure....

Oi Mechanic!!!! ;D

How're your new rides???? ;D ;D ;D

Your white 16 LED dome lights have been relegated and been replaced by 48 LEDs....wahahhaha!!!!

All internal, door & licence plate lights now all LEDs...hehehe! ;)

No Hi-Lo??? :o :o :o

What are U gonna tell those not discerning listeners who do not wanna spend "too much"

and wanna keep if not all the steering wheel audio function controls??? :-X :-X :-X

Maybe they should come & have a A & B comparison in my ride where both are present i.e the Hi-Lo option & an after market HU.

Guest kepiting1sg

err uncle Batam... Me not that critical a listener deh...

the new FL w211 doesnt have a sub. 9 speakers setup is component on all 4 door + a centre speaker.

David, U are not discerning listerner meh??? ;D ;D ;D

What I think U need is a good audio source in your rides and a pair of top class quality headphones.

This wan jus close your eyes and enjoy while U drive....oi with Distronics hor....wahahahaha! ;D ;D ;D

Guest jenvid

David, U are not discerning listerner meh??? ;D ;D ;D

What I think U need is a good audio source in your rides and a pair of top class quality headphones.

This wan jus close your eyes and enjoy while U drive....oi with Distronics hor....wahahahaha! ;D ;D ;D

Aiya... discerning still can make it. But VERY critical no lah... though I havent gone round auditioning pple ride and dun want to also, I doubt car audio can come close home audiophile reproduction standard... The ecstasy that you get when vocal starts in unplug.. ooooo...

headphones... I would look like a weird dude... maybe time to hop over to a LS600h *dream*

Distronics.. neh... Distronics Plus !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D But LTA dun pass the bloody homologation leh... else it wld be on my E. hee... oh well...

Guest funng

woah. thanks for all the info guys. just got the car over the weekend, it does indeed lack the ommph as mentioned. got this very hollow feeling as well. i'm putting all my hopes on this thursday's TOTO draw, sound system plus Brabus kit on the line. haha.