• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Open for Debate - which Engine Oil is best for our Merc's?

Guest millionmilebenz

Guest millionmilebenz

This is an age-old question that I'm sure has crossed all our minds... "which motor oil should I use for my precious ride?" ???

Which brand? Synthetic vs Semi? What weight (0W, 5W, 10W, etc.)?

Of course, the answer also depends on your ride and what is most important to you:

a. Older NA engines vs new electrically-tuned engines vs turbo engines

b. Which offers the best engine protection?

c. Which offers the smoothest ride?

d. Any impact on fuel efficiency?

e. Any impact on power?

f. Is Merc's official Mobil 1 choice the safest choice?

Please share your personal experience, opinions, and knowledge!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jenvid

Actually I was told some time back that the best option is use Semi & change oil + filter every 5k.

Err... merc got turbo meh ?

Was also told to use the thinnest possible oil for new engine...

But then I am too lazy... as C&C will pick up my car for oil change so... sigh so much for discipline..

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

I personally think those off the shelf are good enough for our car.

Just change when time to change. New car thin oil, old car thicker.

Guest millionmilebenz

Like David, I have also heard from more than 1 mechanic to use semi (e.g. Mobil 1) for my W126. I've always wondered about the rationale behind this, and apparently one of the reasons is that thinner oil may leak more easily in an older engine (where the gaskets are not as tight anymore).

IIRC, C&C uses Shell instead of Mobil. Agree with Jeff that any of the major brands should be good. But does anyone have a preference/good reason for using a particular brand?

How about using different brands? e.g. Mobil 1 this time, a fully synthetic next time, then Shell, then Liqui Moly, etc. My dad has done that to his W124 as he has used different mechanics. I don't think it's a good thing to do, but I don't have any proof since there's no perceptable difference in performance. >:(

Guest Raskie

I prefer Mobil over Shell ... somehow feels that the engine respond smoother and less harsh with the former.

Currently I am using a brand Texas Revolution ... it's quite pricey but it really works to keep the engine temp low ... also it is very smooth-revving and the engine sounds quieter ... can be changed at longer interval too ... but I try to keep it to 10K.

Seems many of the SHC members are using this oil ...

http://sgstream.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2550

i thought mercedes' official choice is mobil 1 but C&C service centre used shell helix ultra for my 10k service... no idea what brand was used before but somehow the engine sounds louder after the service..

Guest millionmilebenz

Raskie ]

Currently I am using a brand Texas Revolution ... it' wrote:

Thanks Raskie for bringing up this new brand which I've not heard of before! Seems like the SHC members really swear by it! I did some googling and found great reviews from Singapore and Malaysia. Furthermore, despite the "Texas" in the name, apparently this product is actually manufactured right here in SGP!! :o

Personally though, I'm a bit hesitant to put it in my car, because according to the company's own explanation the product works by chemically turning the surface of the moving engine parts into a "harder type of metal". I'm just not too sure about doing something to the inside of my engine that is irreversible, even though the reviews of initial effects seem to be really fantastic. Another thing that some may want to consider is that this oil is not API-certified, which is not surprising given that it's developed by a smaller company. I don't think this fact should be taken as an indication that it's an inferior or unsafe product - as the certification process may just be too expensive or long for a small company to justify it.

However, I think all of us should make our own choices and the more we know the better informed our decisions will be. :)

Guest millionmilebenz

pc ]

i thought mercedes' wrote:

I think MBM used Mobil when i sent in for oil change.

Not sure what my previous brand of oil was, but can feel the change immediately, very very smooth.

:D

Yes and Yes, Merc's official recommended oil is Mobil 1, and C&C uses Shell Helix Ultra. However, you'll find supporters of both brands and people will mention seemingly conflicting reports of which is smoother. I guess it's really up to each person's own experience and preference in the end.

The thing to note is that even with Mobil 1, there are many variants of viscosity. Check out the official Mobil 1 website (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx) and you'll see a lot of different sub-products for different specialties. There's even one that is specialized for older cars, etc. I've done my servicing at MBM and Keith (one of the service managers) recommend Mobil Semi Synthetic 15W50 for my older M103 engine. Too bad they don't carry the "Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W40" which I would really like to try out... :-\

For older Mercedes-Benz vehicles ie, 123/124/126, I'd go with Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40. The oil stays thicker + engine runs quieter. Previous experience with a lower viscosity rating (10W-30 if I remember correctly) caused my 124 to "burn" oil as it wasn't as thick.

Guest Raskie

However, I think all of us should make our own choices and the more we know the better informed our decisions will be. :)

Yes - it's my first time and I am quite impressed by the oil. Like I mentioned, it really keeps the temp down noticeably and that is impt to me - inc the smoother and 'quieter' ride. Actually ( :P), I was hopping to keep the engine 'rumbling' noise - kekekeke

But you're right in that each of us will have our own preferences ... ala "rubbers" etc.

Guest millionmilebenz

Raskie ]

Yes - it' wrote:

Bro Raskie, please do keep us posted on the performance of Texas Titanium! This may be a great booster for members who are looking for all the improvements that you mentioned. It does sound very attractive!

May be I'll try it on the W124... ;D

But you're right in that each of us will have our own preferences ... ala "rubbers" etc.

Hmmm.... you're probably refering to the kind that runs on the road beneath our rides, but it could also be taken to mean some other "rubbers" which involve highly personalized preferences! ;D ;D ;D

Guest Raskie

Hmmm.... you're probably refering to the kind that runs on the road beneath our rides, but it could also be taken to mean some other "rubbers" which involve highly personalized preferences! ;D ;D ;D

Kekeke .. both lah .. rubber = for the cars and the " " means for the driver lah :o

Will be changing out the oil only end this year ... means about 15mths interval but my mileage is very very low (prob 10-12K max). Not sure if you wanna wait that long ... but you can try for your next oil change and monitor its performance vs what you have at this moment ... it's expensive but suppose to be last over longer change interval

Here's my take on Texas Titanium!

I was ask by my sponsors Texas Revolution to try their new engine oil Titanium Plus (fully synthetic) 5W-50. I tell my self 'why not?'. As I was going up North to watch the F1 @ Sepang, I decided this is the best time to try it so I brought it to my workshop. This time round, I'll be driving my 7 year old E200 Kompressor instead of the Evo. The workshop guys told me they've been hearing a lot about this brand, but not really wanting to try as it's a local brand & costing S$70 bucks a litre! But they agree with me if it's good, lots of guys is willing to fork out this amount. First impression is the oil is blue in colour & look really 'sticky'.

Anyway, drove out of the workshop and wow!!! Immediately can feel my engine is running smoother & quieter!!!

Can feel the engine is not so ‘rough’ & ‘tight’ feeling’. I’ve use so many well known brand without any ‘feel’ but this oil is really something different!

The next early morning was my drive to Sepang. Water temp has drop to somewhere around 80 plus during my drive at about 140km/hr cruising speed.

Too bad I don’t have a oil temp gauge but I can bet it will be low too. My friend was driving he’s 1 year old CLK Kompressor so we decided to do a rolling ‘drag’ when the traffic is clear. The pick up can definitely feel the ‘pull’ much smoother & power too can feel it. My friend was surprise that my 7 year old car

is able to pull much better than his! Once touch 240 we slowed down to cruising speed again. We did this 3 times & I’m convince this is no ordinary engine oil! I would highly recommend this oil to all my driving buddy’s man!!! 2 thumb’s up!!!

Regards

JK

Jeff Keng ]

Here' wrote:

Texas Titanium![/color]

I was ask by my sponsors Texas Revolution to try their new engine oil Titanium Plus (fully synthetic) 5W-50. I tell my self 'why not?'. As I was going up North to watch the F1 @ Sepang, I decided this is the best time to try it so I brought it to my workshop. This time round, I'll be driving my 7 year old E200 Kompressor instead of the Evo. The workshop guys told me they've been hearing a lot about this brand, but not really wanting to try as it's a local brand & costing S$70 bucks a litre! But they agree with me if it's good, lots of guys is willing to fork out this amount. First impression is the oil is blue in colour & look really 'sticky'.

Anyway, drove out of the workshop and wow!!! Immediately can feel my engine is running smoother & quieter!!!

Can feel the engine is not so ‘rough’ & ‘tight’ feeling’. I’ve use so many well known brand without any ‘feel’ but this oil is really something different!

The next early morning was my drive to Sepang. Water temp has drop to somewhere around 80 plus during my drive at about 140km/hr cruising speed.

Too bad I don’t have a oil temp gauge but I can bet it will be low too. My friend was driving he’s 1 year old CLK Kompressor so we decided to do a rolling ‘drag’ when the traffic is clear. The pick up can definitely feel the ‘pull’ much smoother & power too can feel it. My friend was surprise that my 7 year old car

is able to pull much better than his! Once touch 240 we slowed down to cruising speed again. We did this 3 times & I’m convince this is no ordinary engine oil! I would highly recommend this oil to all my driving buddy’s man!!! 2 thumb’s up!!!

Regards

JK

ok, since DK had tested it, think once my servicing is up, will change it to this!! hmmmm 6L lei..

That 6 litres works out to $420 smacks on engine oil. ;D

I guess it's worth a try!! Sounds like an expensive base stock to me - similar to Buddha Jumps Over The Wall type of "liao" kekeke Buddha Swimming Around My Pistons

But frankly guys, it's good stuff. If it wasn't FREE, i wouldn't have use it... cos it's too DAMN EX man!!! >:(

My suggestion is, just use those from the shelf ( ex Mobil ), good enough already!

Guest millionmilebenz

Wowwww.... :o

Now I'm really getting seduced. Raskie and Jeff and all the reviews from the web and other clubs are all raving about the smooth feel, lower temp, higher power...

Guest millionmilebenz

Ok, here's a general article on motor oil that reads a lot of sense... I think it's a good one that provides the basic points of consideration and answers many of the common FAQ's. :)

Motor Oil Myths and Facts http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

Here's one point taken from it:

Thicker is Better Myth

The reason that oil viscosities have gotten thinner is because bearing clearances have become smaller. Using thicker oils will interfere with oil flow and the oil pressure will increase. In a worn engine it may be okay to increase the viscosity of the oil because the bearing clearances have become larger.

Therefore, again, for newer cars use thin oil, for older cars use thicker oil.