• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

What hifi setup for new E230?

Guest angela

Guest angela

I will be getting my new E230 next 2 weeks (looking forward to it). However, understand that the new E230 comes with one disc, and a 6 disc changer in front. All these are linked to the steering wheel and practically impossible to replace.

Any one has done any upgrade on ICE for the new E or C class? I was told that to keep the current 6-disc front loading changer, I need to use a Alpine H701 processor to tune the sound. The whole setup would cost 5k or more. Is there a cheaper alternative that I can still enjoy the music?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kepiting1sg

I will be getting my new E230 next 2 weeks (looking forward to it). However, understand that the new E230 comes with one disc, and a 6 disc changer in front. All these are linked to the steering wheel and practically impossible to replace.

Any one has done any upgrade on ICE for the new E or C class? I was told that to keep the current 6-disc front loading changer, I need to use a Alpine H701 processor to tune the sound. The whole setup would cost 5k or more. Is there a cheaper alternative that I can still enjoy the music?

Congrats on your new ride!

You can keep the existing ICE in your new ride and use the signal output as an input to your H701 processor. (A word of caution:- many users of Alpine 700 & 701 processors complained of hissing noise). Then from the 701 processor, the output signals goes to your amps and speakers.

My current W203, I still mainted the original 6 disc changer, HU with Tuner & Cassette Player and used them as an input signal to my processor

Guest mekenics

You can keep the existing ICE in your new ride and use the signal output as an input to your H701 processor. (A word of caution:- many users of Alpine 700 & 701 processors complained of hissing noise). Then from the 701 processor, the output signals goes to your amps and speakers.

My current W203, I still mainted the original 6 disc changer, HU with Tuner & Cassette Player and used them as an input signal to my processor

cant agree more, my shop encountered a E90 3series with this prob when installing 701. the RCA wiring had to be re-routed. the + pts are that 701 got time alignment & built in X-over for a processor that accepts speaker line input.

had this once but only as a temp measure. u should also look at other brands before making a decision. @udio control & jl @udio do hv smthg like wat u looking for if ur main concern is retaining the stock look of ur audio console area.

if its jus the front loading 6 disc changer, pi*neer has a 2 din LCD unit with built in 6 disc or jus a single din 6 dics changer. steering wheel remote can be re-configured to accept same signals as a standalone remote ur aft-mkt unit comes with.

Ask around a few shops to get a clearer pic & quote...

Happy hunting! ;D

Guest angela

Just got my car yesterday....it was 16km on mileage. Today, it is already 120km. hehehe

BTW, I find that the audio system on the new E230 is surprisingly refine. It is almost like you have a ICE system built-in. I heard that it has 10 speakers in the car. Anyone has listen to this before? May be I won't even have to do anything anymore with this new system. It is not as good as the system on my old E200, but it is getting there.

Anyone knows what brand of speakers and system they use?

Guest jenvid

I understand the aftermarket adapter for the W211 is available in SG so u can rip out your Audio 20(ouch !) & throw the real stuff in. The std woofer is weak, either that or the Amp is unable control the woofer. A lot of flutter when the lows are being played.

Though there are supposed to be 9, but no matter how I count still cant get the number.

Counted to be 5 (2L,2R,1C) in front, 1 sub, & 2 Rear...hmm..

Guest angela

jenvid,

Thanks. Do you own the W211 too? Did you take out your audio 20 system too? Can you share where to get the after market kit, and what system you put in place of the original. Any photo to share?

Guest jenvid

jenvid,

Thanks. Do you own the W211 too? Did you take out your audio 20 system too? Can you share where to get the after market kit, and what system you put in place of the original. Any photo to share?

I just picked up my W211 after waiting 4mths... darn the E230 came. Oh well.

I have yet to swap it out cuz I have yet to make some time to pop down to the shop.

Looking for a std speaker replacement and amp install. Time alignment with the 701.

My schedule date is some time in early May.

Looking at the Lotus Ref, Morel Sub, blutech & Genisis amp + the 701. As for the headunit, it is either the F1 or the mini F1. Sorry I am lousy at the specs, cuz just like to listen...as the saying goes, eqpt is only 1/3 of the story...

But then again, I am having second thoughts cuz the car is going to be driven by my wife... hiaks.

The adapter kit can be viewed at Swift Motion. Give Jenny a ring@6296 6330. Dont have the exact location but it is at Khaki Bukit.

May the poison runs deep into your blood.. hehe...

Guest kepiting1sg

Looking at the Lotus Ref, Morel Sub, blutech & Genisis amp + the 701. As for the headunit, it is either the F1 or the mini F1. Sorry I am lousy at the specs, cuz just like to listen...as the saying goes, eqpt is only 1/3 of the story...

But then again, I am having second thoughts cuz the car is going to be driven by my wife... hiaks.

The adapter kit can be viewed at Swift Motion. Give Jenny a ring@6296 6330. Dont have the exact location but it is at Khaki Bukit.

wahahahahah!!!!! So U go to Swift Motion arh????

If U going for the F1 DVI9990 HU,

Sam will tell U go for the PXI H990 and not 701 lah!!!!!

Alex and Sam will tell U to go for the Sea Lotus! ;D

IMHO, the 701 does not do justice to the DVI9990 HU.

Guest jenvid

Alex and Sam will tell U to go for the Sea Lotus! ;D

IMHO, the 701 does not do justice to the DVI9990 HU.

Yeah I am sold on Sea Lotus. F1... well details are there but I listen to iPod lor. $ vs value...

So it is probably std HU to 701 to those speakers...

Prefer to listen to home audio... The disparity in soundstage, details etc etc... cannot take it lah...rather park the $ somewhere else...

Guest kepiting1sg

jenvid ]

Alex and Sam will tell U to go for the Sea Lotus! wrote:

Yeah I am sold on Sea Lotus. F1... well details are there but I listen to iPod lor. $ vs value...

So it is probably std HU to 701 to those speakers...

Prefer to listen to home audio... The disparity in soundstage, details etc etc... cannot take it lah...rather park the $ somewhere else...

Me stopped putting money into home audio a long time ago.

Nowadays dun have the time to listen.

So about every 6 months, turn them on to heat up the equipment nia!

It was just $$$ dropping into a bottomless pit.......wahahahha!!! ;D

e stopped putting money into home audio a long time ago.

It was just $$$ dropping into a bottomless pit.......wahahahha!!! Grin

I guess whatever home audio stuff I sold went into the car since I spend at least 2 hrs on the roads everyday. Maybe once I get home based job then can look into building up a proper system again. Heheheheheheh... come to think of it.. neh.. car stereo is good

Guest angela

Wow...you guys really know how to plan poison into newbies. ;D ;D ;D ;D

F1 with 701, etc...

Jenvid, did you say you waited for 4 months for your W211? Was it from C&C or pi? Why did you have to wait that long? BTW, don't mind I ask how much did you pay for it?

How much is the whole setup of hifi that it will be with the Lotus Ref, Morel Sub, blutech & Genisis amp + the 701 + F1?

Guest jenvid

e stopped putting money into home audio a long time ago.

It was just $$$ dropping into a bottomless pit.......wahahahha!!! Grin

I guess whatever home audio stuff I sold went into the car since I spend at least 2 hrs on the roads everyday. Maybe once I get home based job then can look into building up a proper system again. Heheheheheheh... come to think of it.. neh.. car stereo is good

Neh... home audio poison runs super deep... the staging is unreal... the depth, the pinpoint accuracy... of course provided you got space for the speakers to breath...

Neh... home audio poison runs super deep... the staging is unreal... the depth, the pinpoint accuracy... of course provided you got space for the speakers to breath...

Mmmm.... I'm not one of those purist types leh ;) and I don't have enough space for myself to breathe let alone speakers hahaha

Guest jenvid

Wow...you guys really know how to plan poison into newbies. ;D ;D ;D ;D

F1 with 701, etc...

Jenvid, did you say you waited for 4 months for your W211? Was it from C&C or pi? Why did you have to wait that long? BTW, don't mind I ask how much did you pay for it?

How much is the whole setup of hifi that it will be with the Lotus Ref, Morel Sub, blutech & Genisis amp + the 701 + F1?

4 mths for a custom spec lor.. managed to arm twist to get promo pricing structure for custom order from C&C.. I wanted all the frills but alas Sales blur over pricing n spec.

In the end still disappointed, cos I didnt get my intelli lights. >:( SA got confused over the actual price....only 2k above avantgarde spec. grrr....

Got MultiContour instead of dynamic... convince out of the thermotronics & distronics.

Anyway I digress....

It will be likely Sea Lotus with custom tweeter pod, Morel Sub & rear, 701, Genesis & blutech amps + std acc like caps,grounding,door insulation, dampers etc etc. Shld be looking ard 10k thereabt at SM. But I think price will be lower, maybe much lower elsewhere.

Like unker KP says, if go F1, the 701 is doing a disjustice lor.. F1 + proc alone will set u back by 8k I think. kekeke.

Prob is having seconds thoughts cuz I drive the W211 very little. Only weekend, chauffeur duties for my princesses... sigh... that one play only children songs...

Still cant bring myself to listen to audio with 'coloration' from RTA corrected equalizer & time alignment, yeah it sounds good but but but.... Home audio only got CD, pre amp, amp & speakers & 1 volume knob...

Like I say lor, may the poison run you deep deep... wahahahaha

Guest angela

That's a good price and worth waiting. Just don't wait too long until the new model E-class comes out. hehehe. I better start driving mine like there is no tomorrow as tomorrow (new E class) is very near. :)

I agree home setup is more proper than the car given the space constraint. I always explain to people that the car audio and home audio serve a different purpose (at least for me). To me, it is impossible for me to blast my home audio to the max with trance or dance music without having the neighbour complaining. So the only way to do is in my car. For my home system, I only play jazz or soft listening music.

What kind of home setup do you have? I run a plinus pre-amp, and a plinus class A power amp. My CD unit is the Sony DVP-9000ES. I also have another system running on rotel + JMlab acting like a mini-combo in my living room for ambient music.

Guest jenvid

I cheapo on home eqpt...

Using the following

PS Audio Premier Power Plant feeding a Sony XA777ES, a Krell KRC & KSA 150 Sig driving a pair of Celestion 701 SE

My caps on the KSA150 Sig is dying :(

Guest angela

Using PS Audio for powerplant and you call cheapo. Not many people can afford this clean powersource. ;D

I have a pair of cheapo PSB speakers that completely doesn't match my plinus. Was thinking to go for the JMlab utopia, but it cost about S$18k. Too much for someone who listen to the system once in a blue moon. ;D ;D

Any recommendation for speakers?

Guest jenvid

Using PS Audio for powerplant and you call cheapo. Not many people can afford this clean powersource. ;D

I have a pair of cheapo PSB speakers that completely doesn't match my plinus. Was thinking to go for the JMlab utopia, but it cost about S$18k. Too much for someone who listen to the system once in a blue moon. ;D ;D

Any recommendation for speakers?

Hey... the new PPP is cheap leh... dun talk abt the PP 1KW lah... arm & leg man.. but then also got 2nd hand mah...

I suspect the new PPP is using D Class amp circuitry that is why it is so efficient...

Guest jenvid

Dial911,

Not lately. Any good recommendation on the echoloft?

Jenvid,

If I remember correctly, it cost about 3k plus for the unit right?

Yupe...

I know nuts abt all the audio stuff, too lazy to do ABA comparison. I rely on my pals for their years of experience for recommendation based on what I want.

So no speakers to recommend. Myself looking at the B&W Nautilus[strike toto first] to replace my ageing Celestion...

Guest angela

From what i heard, B&W Nautilus is extremely power hungry. You need to have couple of monoblock to drive it. I was told it is not really worth the money. May want to consider the sonus faber or JMlab utopia. :)

Guest jenvid

Just came back from SM, saw the adapter kit for the W211. Quite finishing is quite good. Oh well looks like the stock HU is going out of the car...Use alpine and u can retain the steering controls...

I think the only problem is finding a quality HU that is as classy as the Merc HU...

Find all the jap HU a bit beng, only the double din ones comes close... sigh.. so much for gd SQ HU...

Am having the black ash finishing

Any recommendations ?