• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Bumpy Ride

Guest melmel

Hi all, just got W168 for bout 6 mths. my is the 2004 version with side indicator thingy. So far so good just that i feel the ride is abit too bumpy. Wanna check with u guys is it the same for your car? Or is my shock absorber gone liao?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to check if your car has possibly been lowered by the previous owner ? If so maybe the spring rates don't match the absorber properly hence your bumpy ride. If your car is stock, please ignore my ramblings and let other A class owners advise you appropriately. :)

Hi, Congratulations to your "Piccadilly" version of A Class. It's the last and probably the best of the W168 series.

The ride of A Class is typically bumpy because the suspension setup is intentionally to be stiff due to the car size / height (google for "elk" and "w168"). The benefit of this setup is that the car is quite agile and can be thrashed around without too much worry of flipping.

You can lower the pressure of the front and rear tires to improve ride quality. if the bump is sharp (like jolt) or the tire wear is uneven, it means the rear suspension is broken. have it checked out by c&c.

I missed my A Class lots.

thanks for the reply, looks like it is the characteristic of the car. Anyway will ask MBM to check when going for next servicing.

Tried comfort mode, really cannot make it, the car moves like a tortoise.

Comfort/Sports Mode on A Class just changes the way the auto transmission behaves. It does not alter the suspension dynamics - Not to be confused with the suspension its more expensive siblings.

This is sort of a TaiTai / Mummy's car and should be driven like one (hope this doesn't get people upset). The strenght of the car is it's practicality and agility. I always feels performance is great from 0 - 60 km as the car always the first off the traffic lights. The transmission is slow in changing gear and hence it slows and it shifts up. You can pep the car up alittle via changing of air filter or add a little surbo (read my thread and I can direct u to the vendor if u PM me).

Another option could be the sprintboost but I have yet to try it out.

Guest Cklasse

I owned the W168 (registered 2001) and yes! the A-class has the characteristic bumpy ride. This is due to the short wheel base and the wheels are almost at the corners of the car, and of course the "anti elk test" suspension.

I must agree this car is practical and agile. I did a lot of lane change and squeezing between traffic with that car, even squeeze between 2 cars along BKE (not encourage and dangerous). I still miss that short wheel base W168.

:'(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest quacks

Comfort/Sports Mode on A Class just changes the way the auto transmission behaves. It does not alter the suspension dynamics - Not to be confused with the suspension its more expensive siblings.

Opps!

I always get confused between my Dad's car and mine.

All along i thought comfort mode would make my A Class have a smoother ride...sigh... all in the head. :'(